Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NCRobino Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2012, 11:39 AM
    Mildew in shower wall help
    Hi folks,
    Love this site firstly. So helpful for a First time homeowner! Thank you.

So my shower fixture in basement has a rain shower and separate body showers. Turns out it was connected well and was leakin into the wall until the hose broke off during a shower and unloaded water behind the shower in the wall.

The smell of mildew comes out of the shower (has for awhile and we couldn't locate it, but since it broke the answer of the source was revealed).

Now, should I just try and seal up the wall an ignore it or rip the wall and shower apart to see if there's mold or mildew?

Is there anything I can put in the wall (there are two small access panels on the hallway wall behind where the shower is) where I could kind of get in the wall to help? Like a damp rid type product that might absorb the smell? Bleach?

If we do open the wall, what's the best thing to spray in there to stop this and the smell? Bleach?

Thanks for the help. We've owned this place for 3 weeks, obviously installed wrong. I'm so pissed but appreciate the suggestions.

Rob

Oct 8, 2012, 08:50 AM
    Any help would be appreciated our seller is coming to look at it tomorrow and I'd really like some inside knowledge before I lose my opportunity to address this on their dime. Thanks
    Celer Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2012, 05:32 AM
    You will need to open up the wall. Do you have access behind shower wall?

There is probably cement board or sheet rock behind it which both can hold moisture and mold. Also need to check 2x4 for water damage. This wasn't opened to dry out so outcome looks dim.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 13, 2012, 06:47 AM
    Yes to bleach. But whether to open it all up or not would need more info, including how long the damage has been going on. I would redo it all.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 13, 2012, 09:52 AM
    As mentioned, yes to bleach, but only a 10-20% solution of bleach (dilute with water)... anything stronger will not only kill the mold/mildew, but your brain cells as well... especially in coinfined spaces like bathrooms, OK?

Mark
    Celer Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2012, 01:11 PM
    I would rather suggest the mold cleaner at Home Depot, the name excapse me now but it's 30 bucks and it works.

Oct 13, 2012, 02:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    As mentioned, yes to bleach, but only a 10-20% solution of bleach (dilute with water)...anything stronger will not only kill the mold/mildew, but your brain cells as well...especially in coinfined spaces like bathrooms, OK?

Mark
    Ok guys! Problem solved! I took the fancy wall lenth shower fixture off and turns out there was only a small hole at the bottom that the hoses came through for it and the leak was in the fixture, not the wall.. so the mildew was only in and around the small hole about an outlet size. So, fixed the hose and sprayed bleach all in the hole and surrounding areas. 2 days later, shower is fixed and no more mildew smell! Thank god!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 13, 2012, 03:19 PM
    Glad to hear!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mildew smell in second floor shower [ 1 Answers ]

Our house is approximately 12 years old. In our 2nd-floor master bathroom, we have a two person shower stall (man-made marble with glass doors) For the last few weeks, we have been smelling a musty/mildew odor---seems to be coming from the drain, but not really easy to pin-point. We have stripped...

After taking a shower my bathroom smells like mildew [ 3 Answers ]

In the last couple of months I have noticed that after I take a shower that my bathroom smells like mildew. It does not smell however after someone takes a bath. I am in the process of remodeling this bathroom but I'm not sure if the smell is coming from the drain, behind the shower walls or...

Mildew smell coming from shower head [ 3 Answers ]

Nine months ago I replaced the valves in my shower myself. Recently, I started noticing that when I first turn the water on to take a shower, there is a distinct smell of mold. This has never happened before. It really seems to be coming from the water itself. (It's not the drain.) After a couple...

Have odor in shower, suspect mold/mildew in walls. [ 5 Answers ]

Have odor in new (less than 1 yr) shower, suspect mold/mildew in walls. Tried multiple chemicals, scrubs, etc. Contractor suggested finding a business that can test air for mold and mildew. Need a business to test air quality and determine if mold, mildew present in walls. Any know, suggest such a...

Strong mildew smell in shower drain [ 2 Answers ]

I have a strong mildew smell coming from the shower drain. This is a 2yr old Florida home built on a slab. I have used draino, bleach, and boiling hot water. The weather is great now so I am able to leave the windows and door open in the bathroom, even with this you can still smell mildew in the...

View more questions Search