Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2012, 06:33 AM
    Ceramic Wall Tiles
    Wife just wants ceramic tiles in the tub and shower area. Wants to remove the
    4" existing tiles and in the rest of the bathroom tiles have been there since 1951. And just wants to paint it. What will I find after removing the tiles, will I have to replace construction board or whatever they used in 1951. So I have a smooth surface for the paint?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2012, 08:19 PM
    If the cap tile is about 1'' farther out then wall above, u have a mud job.Uwill have to remove the mud and bakcer board and install S/R.

If tile is only about 3/8'', u will have to remove sub strait and install S/R. U will not be able to clean adhesive off whatever tile is mounted on.

Chuck
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2012, 06:25 AM
    If it is backer board, if you install new backer board can you just paint it.
    Without tiling?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2012, 03:22 PM
    If it is concrete board, the answer is no.

If u use S/R to redo the section can, it be painted.

Chuck
    Celer Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2012, 05:35 PM
    I don't think cement board was around that long ago.
    You probably have Sheetrock or some sort of plaster lath walls with tile. I think best to gut the bath and start over painting tile that is that old won't get you far.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I tore up ceramic tiles in br. And I want to lay adhesive tiles. Would it b OK to l [ 2 Answers ]

I tore up ceramic tiles in br. And I want to lay adhesive tiles. Would it b OK to level mud underneath & lay tiles? HELP!

Removing 41/4 x 41/4 Single Ceramic Shower Wall Tiles? [ 3 Answers ]

Any advice is appreciated. I don't want to replace all the tiles in my shower enclosure and thought just removing single pieces and replacing with accent colors would work out. Is there a sure-fire way to remove the 4x4 wall tiles and replace? Also, I was thinking of tiling the small ceiling...

Attaching ceramic corner shelf to ceramic tiles [ 3 Answers ]

I want to add a couple of ceramic shelves to my bathroom ceramic tub surround. What can you use to attach ceramic shelves to ceramic tiles? I tried the same glue used to put tiles on the drywall but they just slide. Thanks in advance!

View more questions Search