Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kenhuth Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2010, 03:55 PM
    91 honda civic stalled and won't start
    Car stalled at a stop light and now won't start. Seems like the fuel pump is working a getting gas to the injectors. Spark is good on all plugs. Tried a new main relay - nothing. Any ideas? ECU doesn't throw any codes.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2010, 04:05 PM

Does the CEL go on for 2 seconds and then go out, when the ignition switch is turned to ON (Position II)?

Jan 31, 2010, 08:20 PM
    Yep - CEL on for 2 sec and then out.
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2010, 08:42 PM

The problem resides with the distributor. Even though you have spark, it may be firing at the wrong time. Therefore, I would replace the Ignition Control Module (ICM) and coil:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post265896

If the problem persists, replace the distributor housing (Honda genuine only) and install the new ICM. If this fixes the problem, it indicates one or more internal distributor sensors are bad. This is very common on Honda distributors, which usually only last 50,000 to 100,000 miles.

Jan 31, 2010, 08:51 PM

Thanks, I'll look into that. Any way to test the Ignition Control Module and coil?
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2010, 08:55 PM

Bench testing these components is a waste of time. The tests are very unreliable. Instead, I recommend replacing these problematic components every 120,000 miles or 10 years, whichever comes first. Shop for price and warranty.

Jan 31, 2010, 08:56 PM

If the Ignition Control Module (ICM) and coil went bad, would it cause the car to suddenly stall?
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2010, 09:00 PM

Absolutely. ICMs are legendary in doing this. If you want to go budget, first try replacing only the ICM. However, this also happens from coils breaking down under load (heat). Heat is the enemy of both of these components.

Since your CEL comes on and goes off normally, I know the problem is not with the ECM, main relay, fuses, or ignition switch. Instead, it is with the distributor--I'm certain.

Jan 31, 2010, 09:01 PM

Thanks again, I'll try this tomorrow and post the results.
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2010, 09:04 PM

Great.

Jan 31, 2010, 09:10 PM

Any chance that the timing belt slipped/jumped and caused the stall and no start?
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2010, 09:11 PM

Here's how to replace the ICM:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post265896

Be sure to apply the heat transfer compound to the back of the ICM.
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2010, 09:12 PM
    Sure, that's possible; however, not common. Sudden failures on the road are almost, invariably, electrical-related. For Hondas, this normally means ICM or coil failure.

ICMs have a microchip inside that needs to open and close the primary circuit of the coil at the exact time the ECM says. If the chip starts to fail, the timing is lost and the engine stalls. You may still have spark, but it's just not at the right time.

Jan 31, 2010, 09:18 PM

Is there a chance that the timing belt could have slipped/jumped for some reason causing it to stall and not start?
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2010, 09:20 PM

Again, there's a chance that could have happened. If it did, there's a chance your engine has been seriously damaged, since it's an interference engine. I just don't think that's a high probability event.

Remove the oil filler cap and see if the camshaft turns, while someone else cranks the engine. If it turns, the timing belt is likely fine and I would not focus on it as a likely source of the engine not starting.

It's not uncommon, at AMHD, to have 2 or 3 Honda distributor problems a day--they are just that common.

Jan 31, 2010, 09:24 PM

I kind of doubt it too, seems like I would have heard something or engine got rough then stalled. This didn't happened, just died - like something went bad(like the ICM).
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2010, 09:28 PM

If you had a TB problem, the valves and pistons are toast. I know Honda electrical systems very, very well. I'm positive your problem is with the distributor.

Jan 31, 2010, 09:28 PM

Camshaft does turn.
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2010, 09:37 PM

That's what I figured. Usually replacing the ICM ($64.99, AutoZone) and coil solves the problem. In your 1991 Civic, you should be able to have the car back on the road again in 45 minutes or less, assuming the distributor housing is fine. My gut is the problem is with the ICM.

Feb 2, 2010, 10:16 AM
    Put the ICM on and - started right up! I also replaced the rotor,cap,plugs and wires just to have everything fresh. I'm supicious with the rotor, the plastic was melted around the screw that secures it to the shaft and kind of seems like it was slipped down. I had to chip away the plastic to get to the screw. Maybe the rotor wasn't hitting the points at the right time... just a thaught. Thanks for your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1999 Honda Accord EX V6 engine stalled and hard start after stop for refill (occasion [ 2 Answers ]

• I live in Owatonna, MN and work in Bayport/Stillwater, MN (92 miles each way) • I have a 1999 Honda Accord EX, V6 Coup. I bought it new. • I put in about 255,000 miles already (I was driving 99%) and intend to keep driving it until 500K miles • I still love the car and it is still like brand...

1995 Honda Civic Stalled [ 3 Answers ]

I just had a new motor put into my 1995 Honda Civic 1.6 vtec. Last night while I was driving down the road it stalled and now I can't get it to crank back up. It seems as though it's not firing. I have new spark plugs, spark plug wire, distributor cap, rotor button. Any suggestions as to what I can...

89 civic lx started ran for a min then stalled now won't start [ 1 Answers ]

The car is parked in front of my job it was a cold day I went to warm up the car it started fine ran for a min. then stalled and does not restart tried boosting it from didnd help when I turn the key it makes the crancing noise but nothing happens just the gggggggggg noise plase help

94 civic stalled and won't start [ 1 Answers ]

My 94 Civic has stalled a couple of times and has a slight miss when it is idling.The exhaust has come apart and I was going to take it in this week to have it fixed and it stalled and will not start.It turns over fine and sounds like it could start.It has 122,000 miles on it and was purchased 2...

91' honda civic stalled while driving? [ 6 Answers ]

:( I was driving my 91' honda civic hatchback when it just stalled as I'm driving. I thought it might have been my battery so we put a new battery in but that wasn't it. It sounds like it's going to start but just doesn't fire up. I was told to check the ECU for the error codes but it only blinked...

View more questions Search