Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hello_Peace Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Apr 8, 2004, 06:24 AM
    Civil War
    The 'North' and the 'South' were not different nations. I'd base my argument around defining a nation (no easy job).

Then, go onto who benefits from calling it "War of aggression"? it’s a highly emotive name. In what ways did events fit that description?

And Who benefits from calling it "The Civil War"? It was indeed a civil war by all fair definitions, but has that term been used to gain some partisan political goal?
    Who/and why do some people object to the title "War of aggression"?
    HP
    JimGunther Posts: 436, Reputation: 38

May 27, 2004, 02:59 AM
    Civil War
    Were there 2 nations in the U.S. Civil War? The North felt that the nation was indivisible. The South cecded from the Union, set up their own government and capitol. Obviously, the South though they were a separate nation, the North did not.

The Civil War started when the South took the aggressive act of attacking Fort Sumpter. This being the case, I could see why some people might call it a War of aggression. If you favor the South however, you might be tempted to say that it was a War of aggression because the North invaded the South, but that argument ignores Fort Sumpter.

A Civil War is defined as a war internal to one country. Most people call it a civil war because it did involve the United States only, but again, if you define the Confederate States of America as a separate nation, then it doesn't fit the strict definition of civil war.

People probably do or don't want to call it a war of aggression for their own political reasons, but we have been calling it the Civil War for a long time, and I would suspect that most people find it easier to leave it at that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Civil engineering software [ 2 Answers ]

What software and programs do civil engeneers use? I'm planning on going to Ohio University for civil engineering? I was also wondering if you can get a good job doing land surveying after I graduate or during and if that pays good?

Civil Case [ 7 Answers ]

My best friend was recently killed by a drunk habitual offender with a long criminal record, driving 60 miles an hour on 25 mile residential street. The DA has offered a plea, he will only be facing 75 months if accepted (nothing for all the heartache he has caused). Can the family file a civil...

Civil Action [ 2 Answers ]

I am a co signer on an auto loan. The auto was repossed serveral years ago and the remaining balance due was never paid. I am being sued for balance due, Interest and Legal fees. My question is can the sheriff sell my things and since my husbands not on the loan can they go after his truck that's...

Civil engineering [ 2 Answers ]

How a bridge on the sea or a river is build still having a lot of water?if web page aviable please send me?

Spanish Civil War [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I hop eyou can help me. Does anyone know the main events which decided the end of the spanish civil war? Stephanie

View more questions Search