Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mamabear Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2006, 06:01 PM
    How can my husband adopt my daughter?
    My husband would like to adopt my daughter.She just turned 2 this Nov. but my husband was there for me through my pregnancy and her birth.He has raised her ever since.There is no father listed on the birth certificate but I think I know who the real father is.He is convicted of sexual assault of a minor for forcing me to have sex with him when I was 15 and he was 21.He is now in prison serving a 10 year sentence.He knows there is a possibility that my daughter is his but he says he doesn't care unless the child is a boy.Well she is a beautiful little GIRL!He won't claim her and he won't get a dna test.But when I ask him if he was the father would he sign over his rights he says no.Its has been a year and a half since I last spoke with him or any member of his family.My husband is a great man and wants all father rights to her.What can we do in the state of Texas?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 3, 2006, 06:08 PM
    If there is no father listed, there is a good chance you can do this. You need to go to your local Family Court and file a petition for adoption. It is possible the coiurt will require that the father relinquish his rights. It would then be better to tell them you aren't sure who the father is, which is why the birth certitifcate is blank.
    jrussole Posts: 163, Reputation: 12
    -

Dec 7, 2006, 04:49 PM
    Yet legally if no paternity test is attempted, cannot this convict change his mind in ten years and state he is indeed the father and wants his rights back? I would not chance it. Seek legal representation about this. She will be 12 years old at the time of his release. Unless he gets parole. Which will cause you more concern. She is worth the advice of an attorney. To enable no chance of visitation/custody in the future.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can my husband adopt my son [ 3 Answers ]

I got married in February of 2006. My son was born in June of 2005. The biological father is not in the picture and I would like to know how my husband can adopt my son. We have been looking into him adopting my son since we got married and we haven't been able to find out any information. The...

How can my husband adopt my son [ 3 Answers ]

I got married in February of 2006. My son was born in June of 2005. The biological father is not in the picture and I would like to know how my husband can adopt my son. We have been looking into him adopting my son since we got married and we haven't been able to find out any information. ...

How can my spouse adopt my daughter? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I would love to have some advice on how my spouse can adopt my daugther. I am currently 7 months pregnant and my daugther is due Feb 15th 2007. My spouse is not the babies father, but would love to adopt her as his own. He is in the military and has been in for 10 years. I do know who the...

Can my husband adopt my daughter if her father is not around? [ 13 Answers ]

I live with my husband and I have my daughter,which is not his biologically,but I also have a son that is his,so I was wondering if it is that he could adopt her without the father's consent,keeping in mind that her father is nowhere to be found.

Husband to adopt [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I aren't married yet, in August we are getting married, I have a son, he has a son and we are having a baby in June. We are concerned that my son will be confused that everyone has the same last name but him. Granted, his father has only seen him maybe 5 times in two years, I have...

View more questions Search