Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2007, 06:47 PM
    New kitten
    I'm getting a new kitten, I don't have any other cays but I do have to dogs, I was wondering if I should get a girl, or boy kitten. Im not going ot get it neutered, and its not going to bew aloud outside. I want it to be calm and socialanble which gender of cat is more like this?
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2007, 07:18 PM
    My personal experience is that male cats are more sociable, but by no means is that an across the board sort of thing. I'd say it's a hit or miss, to be honest.

Out of curiosity, why do you not plan on having the cat fixed? Even if you don't allow it outside (which will avoid a pregnant kitty if you get a girl), cats who have not been fixed are more likely to spray in your house, and TRUST ME, this is not a nice smell! I believe cats (and dogs) who have been fixed also live longer.
    alkaline Posts: 61, Reputation: 20

Jun 24, 2007, 07:42 PM
    Unless you are buying a cat with papers and starting a responsible breeding program, you should very seriously consider getting your cat fixed.

For one thing, fixed cats are more sociable. It's like they haven't reached "puberty" or something and lack the attitude that comes along with it. They aren't focused on sex, so they'll be more relaxed and interested in bonding with YOU. It is also true that they should live longer.

Cats that aren't fixed will also try to get out of the house.

Male cats will spray the house if they are not fixed, it's pretty nasty. Also, have you ever been around a female cat in heat? They are very unpleasant to be around, they howl and will shove their crotch at you and anyone else they can. I'd really suggest you read up about this on the internet.

Oh, and male cats have a strong sex drive. They actually get depressed if they don't get enough sex. Breeders actually suggest that for every male cat you have THREE female cats for them to have sex with.

Bob Barker may be retired now, but his message is still valid!!

I have a female cat that is two and a half years old and a make kitten that is about 10 weeks old. They are both very friendly and loving. My mom has a female cat that is very aloof. I actually think if you are looking for a particular type of personality, the best way to go is to pick your cat based on breed. However, if this isn't an option, like you're getting a kitten from a litter your friend's cat had or something, I think you should go and spend some time with the kittens. If there is one that shows a lot of interest in you and really takes to you, I'd pick that one. Male or female it probably has a great purrsonality :-)

Have fun with your new kitten!! Let us know what you name it!!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2007, 06:00 AM
    Emily, I know that you are young and that you love your animals very much. It is nice to see someone so young be aware of the need for animals to be taken care of. I have seen some of your other post regarding your dog. First I will answer your question about which sex is friendlier. Neither. I think that depends on how much time that you spend playing and taking care of your kitten. I have 4 cats 1 male 3 females at the moment. Each has its on unique personality. They need a lot of good attention, (brushing, playing,feeding), but they also need space. The kitten will let you know when she/he does not want to be held or played with and that needs to be respected. That is why I hesitate for familys with very young children to adopt kittens, sometimes they do not know the limits and bother the kitty's too much, therefore making them anti-social. But I know that you understand their need for space. I am going to talk to you about the importance of spaying/neutering your cat. I have 3 teenage children and all the time they come to me with problems concerning their school mates/friends cats. I have had 1 girls cat spayed because her mom wanted to get rid of it because she came in heat and started peeing in different spots in the house. She was in and out of heat all the time and their house started to smell like cat pee, they lived on the 2nd floor and the cat could not get down to mate but she howled and rolled on the front porch all of the time, disturbing her family and the neighbors. Another girls cat kept getting out and having liter after litter. My son had a friend his male cat kept trying to mount his leg and would bite and scratch his leg. They called the vet to see what his problem was and the vet said he needed to be neutered. Sometimes the parents will not help... to busy not enough money or for whatever reason. I try to get vouchers to help off set the cost and I take them to get them spayed/neutered. The vets also says that they can get breast cancer and uterine cancer and a condition called pyometra a serious uterine infection, and spaying them prevents this. Male cats can get testicular cancer and prostate disease. Also your cat will always be trying to get out so that he/she can mate. Cats that are not spayed or neutered have a tendency to be more agressive& nervous they will bite and scratch, humans more and get into fights with the other animals in the house more often, they will do this just from hearing the other cats outside. It is natural to mate and produce off spring. But our world can not possibly take care of all the kittens that they can have. We have millions of kittens and cats that are killed each year in animal shelters because there are not enough homes for them. I think it is a wonderful idea to get a kitten, but please make sure that you have it spayed/neutered. I hope that I have not upset you in anyway. I just wanted you to know why it is a good idea to have the kitten spayed/neutered even if it is not allowed to go outside.
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2007, 02:54 PM
    I'm thinking a lot more about getting him/her spayed. But there si two kittens out of the six that I really like one I female one is male. I like them both but along the line what one would be cheaper(neuter, shots, any diseases, surgury, just in general)
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2007, 02:59 PM
    Males normally cost less to have spayed. My male cat is larger than my females, also he has had UTI infections, I hear that males get them, I have had him since 1997 and he has had only 2 thoough. It is hard to say which cost less. Just make sure that your dogs learn to respect your cat so that there is peace in the house :) Thank you for being taking our advice, with a good attidue you are a very caring animal person, and that is a very good quality to have.
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2007, 03:02 PM
    First of all, no matter which gender you choose, you should really get the cat fixed. They usually look healthier and are more manageable when fixed anyway. Female cats that are not fixed can end up, of course, pregnant and males who are not fixed will usually spray, which is REALLY stinky. To answer your question, I prefer boy cats because they tend to be a little more laid back and affectionate. They also get a little bigger than the females which I personally like. Good luck and seriously considered getting your cat spaied or neutered... just as Bob would say :p
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2007, 03:03 PM
    In the long run, a male cat would PROBABLY end up being cheaper, especially if you plan on getting it fixed!
    calover16m Posts: 41, Reputation: 3

Jun 25, 2007, 05:42 PM
    I have heard that male cats are friendlier and more loving. However I do think that you should get your cat neutured. And male cats spray the house if you do not.
    alkaline Posts: 61, Reputation: 20

Jun 26, 2007, 06:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bushg
    males normally cost less to have spayed. My male cat is larger than my females, also he has had UTI infections, I hear that males get them, I have had him since 1997 and he has had only 2 thoough. it is hard to say which cost less. Just make sure that your dogs learn to respect your cat so that there is peace in the house :) Thank you for being taking our advice, with a good attidue you are a very caring animal person, and that is a very good quality to have.
    I was going to give bushg more rep. for this answer, but I have to spread around the love a little more before it'll let me, so I'll quote instead.

Two very good points! Getting neutered is cheaper and I also think there is a lower chance of there being any complications (though I am not completely sure on that, my male kitten hasn't gotted fixed yet, we're actually just finishing up with all the deworming excitement).

And yes, male cats are more likely to have UTIs, which is weird, cause aren't female humans much more likely to get them than men? Anyway, yes, that is true. My boyfriend's cat had a UTI a few years ago, and he didn't know what was wrong with him. Apparently if they are not treated they can be very dangerous to the kitty. My boyfriend was lucky his sister is a vet, it was a Sunday when he noticed there was something very wrong with his cat and no local vets were open. He ended up driving 2 and a half hours to where his sister lived when his favorite football team was in the playoffs to have him taken care of. Aw, I love people that really care about their pets :-)

But, yeah, I wouldn't let the chance of a UTI stop me from getting a male kitty. If he starts acting weird and squatting around like he has to pee, just be sure to get him right to a vet.

Either way, remember that with any kitten you'll have to get the shots, have him tested for FHIV and feline Leukemia, and almost all kittens have worms, so you'll need to get him dewormed. The deworming part is pretty easy, you just shoot some medicine in their mouth two times (with two weeks in between doses). Then you can take them back to the vet with a stool sample to make sure they're clean.

And here is me all jumping in and giving you my horrible horrible idea that your parents would probably kick me in the shins for... *cough* You could... um... get twooooo kittens... if you like them both so much... so they'll have a friend to play with and won't be lonely when you aren't arouuuuuund... *shifts eyes* OK OK I know that probably isn't an option, but I had to say it, right? Heeheehee. I'll shut up now. You never saw me say that. If you do, I'll deny it to the end lol.

Anyway, remember, we want to see pictures of the kitty you choose! And what you name it!!
    Chameleon Posts: 154, Reputation: 17

Jun 26, 2007, 07:51 AM
    Oh I have lots and lots of kitties. Both sexes are affectionate, it just depends on how much luvin' you give them. Two kitties is a good idea, they'll keep you entertained with their antics. Males are cheaper to fix. Be sure you also get distemper shots. Worming isn't that difficult. Much luck with your baby(ies). Cheap cat toy tip... An old 24 can pepsi case, they use it as a house and will fight one another through the handles.:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Kitten [ 2 Answers ]

I am about to get a new kitten, but I am worried about our space. I live upstairs at my house and I was wondering if you had any ideas how to keep my kitten from attempting to climb down the stairs outside my door.

Kitten help [ 2 Answers ]

Kittens in dire need of help!! Hello all,I am a first timer to this page.So I wasn't sure what catergory to put this under.I am a foster mommy to a beautiful cat who just recently had kittens last month.Before hand I didn't have fleas in my house and now I do,and they are on my kittens and I am...

My Kitten [ 2 Answers ]

My kitten got out during her very first heat(Ithink it was Septhember), now last night she was lying on my bed and her belly was moving all over, so I am sure she has kittens, how do I know when she is ready to give brth? Thank you

New Kitten [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a kitten supposedly 7 weeks old. It doesn't eat much at all and is very skinny. To the point you can feel boes easily. Probably the runt. Should I be concerned and what can I do to get my kitty eating more to fatten up a bit.

I want another kitten! [ 9 Answers ]

Ok I already have one kitten.. she will be a yr old on July 15! Her name is Tinx.. She is my baby.. she is so spoiled! But I want to get another kitten so Tinx has someone to play with while we are away at work! The only problem she doesn't seem to get along very well with other cats.. I guess...

View more questions Search