Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 30, 2019, 01:27 PM
    The thoughts will fade all by themselves as you get back to the reality of your current life. You can come to your own closure by accepting these old thoughts were dredged back up again because you found those old numbers and got side tracked by them. That's normal, you just need to get back on track again.

Good luck.
    ravengurl92 Posts: 301, Reputation: 6

Oct 4, 2019, 08:24 AM
    I keep on hoping the thoughts will fade but they haven't yet. I still don't think this a crush because the thoughts are not making me happy and I don't want to have them, especially because I haven't seen this guy in 7-8 years. I just want to move on. I have also noticed that I only ever have these thoughts in the months of October and November. Maybe because Homecoming was in October
    Expert

Oct 4, 2019, 09:00 AM
    Yeah, certain songs and TV shows as well as the time of year have triggered thoughts of past loves and romantic events for decades now, but I do know how to focus on now a lot better and the things that keep me busy and happy. Plus the wife of 40 years never lets me dwell on anything to long just because life and the reality of now keep me hopping.

You must have a lot of time to dwell on those old thoughts and memories. Is this so? You could let family, current friends, and activities you enjoy help get you through this distraction you know. Focusing on others is a great way to get through troubling times and the thoughts they evoke.

At least that's been my experience.

Oct 7, 2019, 03:08 PM
    I get what you mean. Last fall I didn't really have time or energy for the thoughts because I was going through some family issues. So that's probably why I went so long without them. I'm hoping they fade soon. But I now feel the need to contact this guy but I really don't want to do that after all these years. I just want to move on and I want my life back. I was perfectly happy before the thoughts started and don't want this guy in my life.
    Expert

Oct 8, 2019, 06:42 AM
    You shouldn't let those thought run your life, ruin plans, or stop your happiness. I have gotten use to when bad thought creep in the brain to physically get up and get involved in something that requires attention to perform. Stuff I let go because I was to lazy to do, LOL, but if lazy wins I call a friend who cheers me up, or promise the wife I'm working on that lasso to get her the moon. I guess my point is make a plan to change those thoughts when they show up!

Maybe count yourself lucky that's your biggest or only problem to worry about? Hmm. Let me ask how your love/dating life is? Perhaps the ex is the symptom of a greater problem you're dealing with. Or am I just being NOSY?

Oct 8, 2019, 06:45 AM
    I don't really have a dating life. Most of my classmates in college were female and my current coworkers are too. So I haven't exactly had a chance to date
    Expert

Oct 8, 2019, 08:33 AM
    Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you in the mid 20's? Forgive my laziness for not just checking the archives. It's no wonder that thoughts of the ex haunt you if your experiences in romance and dating are so limited. More the importance of having a health plan to deal with unwanted thoughts. Or better, a close female friend that you can vent the feelings those thought illicit.

Got close female friends? ONE will do if she has your TRUST. Heck RG everyone needs a close friend not just for tough times, but great times too!

Oct 15, 2019, 03:15 PM
    Haven't updated in a while. I'm definitely doing a lot better with the thoughts. I actually opened up about to my mom and two close female friends and that has helped me significantly. My only real obsessive thought about the guy now is feeling guilty that he may have never gotten to see the homecoming pictures. I need some way to get over that.
    Expert

Oct 15, 2019, 03:22 PM
    The perfect subject to share with mom, or your female friends. The trick to controlling your thoughts is developing ways to deal with them as getting over most things for us humans takes so time, and is so emotional.

Talking things out seems to work for you so do it again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to stop thinking about someone you like [ 6 Answers ]

I can't stop thinking about someone and I'm trying to sort of move On from her but I can't for some reason. Are there any ways to stop thinking about her?

I can't stop thinking about her with someone else [ 4 Answers ]

I am at a point in this relationship that I should be able to just let go of her. I'm 99% possitive that she has cheated on me and yet I still grasp on to a little hope that it might all work out. I am so confused as to why I don't just say goodbye as it is so unhealthy. The thought of her with...

Can't Stop Thinking of my ex-GF! [ 2 Answers ]

I started dating my ex in 2003,we went out for about 4 months and I found out she was cheating on me and I broke it off.I wanted to get back together with her cause I could not stop thinking of her.A few days later she smsed me and wanted to get back 2 gether and I said yes. Everything was fine...

How to stop thinking about my ex [ 1 Answers ]

I went out with a girl for about 4 months, and during those 4 months I really opened myself up to her and we grew really close. I should also say that this was my first true and serious relationship. Then we went off to our separate colleges, but we wanted to continue the relationship because we...

I can't stop thinking about her [ 7 Answers ]

A few days ago I was hanging out with a few friends... theres this one girl there that I sort of had feeings for at the time... we drank a little bit and one thing led to another and we ended up getting together... now I don't know if she likes me or wants to be with me or anything because I don't...

View more questions Search