Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    88mm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2012, 08:11 AM
    A Question About Being a Philosopher
    Being expert in the field of philosophy I would like to seek a propounding notion to this question so that I may have a clear conviction;
    Are those without an academic degree yet pursued to study philosophy independently can be considered and regard themselves philosophers? That not only those with PhD who had been educated for a limited time can be called likewise but also those who studied extensively yet independent of the academe.

Thank You Very Much for giving time to read and to share your ideas!

Joshua Atienza
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 10, 2012, 08:16 AM
    Who decides who can refer to themselves as a philosophers ?
    Does it require a degree or doctorate, if that is the case the vast majority of philosophers are sorely lacking.
    What really makes a philosopher?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 10, 2012, 08:23 AM
    My mother, an 8th grade graduate with no further schooling, is a philosopher.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2012, 09:03 PM
    Brendan was a bartender. He was also a great philosopher and an even greater wit. He never wrote a book, but books have been written about him.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 10, 2012, 09:08 PM
    Thus the real issue, if and when someone based on ego decides they are an expert as a philosopher, can they really be one. Since does not a true philosopher believe that there is no real true concept merely open though, So how can one be a expert if there is no limit to where though can go.

Thus when one adds judgement to an idea in philosophy does not one leave it and convert more to a deductive reasoning or a judgemental reasoning.

A true philosopher would be one who considers theirself humble, knowing nothing but seeking knowledge and sharing ideas.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2012, 09:11 PM
    Wondergirl, where are you when we need you?

Please edit/decipher the above post from Philosopher Chuck.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 10, 2012, 09:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    Wondergirl, where are you when we need you?

Please edit/decipher the above post from Philosopher Chuck.
    I don't know Mandarin Chinese. ;)
    Tokugawa Posts: 22, Reputation: 3

Dec 22, 2012, 07:20 AM
    To be a philosopher is to propose a new way of viewing the world. Foucault proposed a new way of viewing society by his examination of the justice system; Wittgenstein proposed a new way of viewing pretty much everything by his examination of language; and I am currently working on a new way of viewing reality TV through the lense of what I like to call 'utter-shtism'.

"If you have ever tried to convince yourself of something that went against your better nature, then you have engaged in philosophy at some point." - Nietzsche

By this he means to say that you have tried to view things in a different way, and of course he is correct. We are all philosophers, it is merely that most of us are really bad at it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can I use the entitlement of Moral Philosopher? [ 1 Answers ]

Good day fellows! I am engaged in moral philosophy and studies it as an autodidact introduced to me as my university undergrad. Minor, for quite some time and fortunately and successfully I have recently made and submitted a paperwork concerning my view of meta- ethics, and normative ethics, the...

Who are the philosopher kings in the you S A ? [ 2 Answers ]

Who are the philosopher kings in the U S A ?

How philosopher earn their living [ 8 Answers ]

I love philosophy but I'm having doubt putting it as my course of study because I don't know how they earn their living,which type of office they are employed to and what their work is in the office.Any information?please help.Thank you

Do you know this philosopher? [ 4 Answers ]

My english lit. teacher told me about a philosopher who had a grandfather clock made for him. Instead of the clock ringing or making a bell-like sound, it spoke out, "___hours and ___minutes closer to death." My teacher doesn't know the time which this philosopher lived, or even has a clue about...

View more questions Search