Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amejk Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2007, 09:44 AM
    Upgrading thermostat (Hunter) w/gas furnace
    Friends,

I can find plenty on how to hook up a new thermostat with a heat pump, but not for a gas furnace/electric a/c (Carrier).

My old thermostat has:

R = Red
    Y/Y2 = Yellow
    G = Green
    C = Black
    W/W1 = White

Blue, Brown and Orange are not used

Now with that in mind, my Hunter has the following letters

G
    Rc
    Rc1
    Rh
    Y/O
    W/B
    Y1

What = What?

Did I get the wrong thermostat?

Thanks,
    Eric
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2007, 10:39 AM
    Provide a model # of the stat or a link. Hunter manuals are here:

New Page 1

Looking at the manual for the 44668 or 44660. These are combo conventional/HP stats. The system selector needs to be in the right place. Don't know if it's your model.

Rc, Rc1 and Rh get jumpered and become R
    (Rc and Rh accommodates separate transformers for heat and cool)
    Y1 doesn't get connected

Dec 31, 2007, 02:28 PM
    KISS,

Yes, it is the 44660. So RC1 and RH together = R? What about the Black Wire (that was C)?

Thanks,
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    Provide a model # of the stat or a link. Hunter manuals are here:

New Page 1

Looking at the manual for the 44668 or 44660. These are combo conventional/HP stats. The system selector needs to be in the right place. Don't know if it's your model.

Rc, Rc1 and Rh get jumpered and become R
    (Rc and Rh accomodates separate transformers for heat and cool)
    Y1 doesn't get connected
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 31, 2007, 05:09 PM
    Yep KISS gave you some good directions. Jumpering the two reds into one unless you have two transformers and most do not. C is transformer common.

Dec 31, 2007, 05:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Yep KISS gave you some good directions. Jumpering the two reds into one unless you have two transformers and most do not. C is transformer common.

?? No where in the Instructions/Diagrams does it show where common goes. THis model does use batteries for power, is it not used?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2007, 07:01 PM
    Rc gets jumped to Rc1 which gets jumped to Rh. The triple becomes R.

The new thermostat can be "power stealing" and therefore "C" is not required. If it uses batteries for power, then "C" is not required. Personally, I couldn't be bothered with batteries. Better yet, find a better stat. Look at Home | iaqsource.com - Aprilaire, Honeywell, Trion Air Bear, Bryant, Carrier, Trane Filters and IAQ products for some options.

Between R and C is 24 VAC at all times. Just mark black as "C" and cap with a small wirenut.

Jan 1, 2008, 10:06 AM
    K.I.S.S.

Thanks so much!

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    Rc gets jumped to Rc1 which gets jumped to Rh. The triple becomes R.

The new thermostat can be "power stealing" and therefore "C" is not required. If it uses batteries for power, then "C" is not required. Personally, I couldn't be bothered with batteries. Better yet, find a better stat. Look at Home | iaqsource.com - Aprilaire, Honeywell, Trion Air Bear, Bryant, Carrier, Trane Filters and IAQ products for some options.

Between R and C is 24 VAC at all times. Just mark black as "C" and cap with a small wirenut.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Upgrading to progammable Thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I'm having problems upgrading my Thermostat. I replaced a regular thermostat (2 wires), with a NOMA, 7-day Programmable Thermostat from Canadian Tire (52-2544-0) It's a high voltage, 120/240V AC, 60Hz, since it's for baseboard heating. There is 2 main baseboards hooked directly to this unit,...

Upgrading to Programmable Thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

I'm having problems upgrading my Thermostat. I replaced a regular thermostat (2 wires), with a NOMA, 7-day Programmable Thermostat from Canadian Tire (52-2544-0) It's a high voltage, 120/240V AC, 60Hz, since it's for baseboard heating. There is 2 main baseboards hooked directly to this unit,...

Bryant furnace to a Hunter programmable thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to hook up a programmable hunter thermostat model # 44360 to a bryant system and heat pump, I have 6 wires coming out of the wall one green, red, orange, blue, yellow and white, the hunter thermostatha g, rc, rh, y/o, w/b, and y1 can any body tell me what goes where? Jmt

Upgrading to a Hunter Thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I'm upgrading from a Janitrol HPT 18-60 thermostat to a Hunter 44110 Thermostat. The wiring for the Janitrol is: Y = Yellow wire G = Green wire R = Red wire O = Orange wire W2 = White wire E = Black wire

Problems upgrading programmable thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I'm upgrading from an "unknown" older analog thermostat to a Honeywell RTH7400 programmable for our heat. The old thermostat had only two wires hooked up, red and green. This must be a single stage unit, since we have a separate thermostat to control A/C (heat pump). The heat is a gas furnace. ...

View more questions Search