Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    balin43 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2008, 11:08 PM
    Fan runs but compressor cycles off in 1-2 seconds
    I reviewed many posts but didn't see a diagnosis for this issue.

I have a split system, forced air gas furnace with ac compressor unit outside.
    Unit is 5 years old, and outside of warranty.

The compressor fan works fine, and cycles on when the thermostat goes to cool.
    The compressor cycles on for 1-2 seconds, then shuts off (fan continues to run). It then tries to cycle again about 1 minute later for 1-2 seconds, then shuts off.

Refrigerant lines to and from the furnace are both warm.

Lots of numbers on various components:

AC main plate:
    AireFlo
    Part No: 20402043
    Affair 10B30-A
    Min Circuit Ampacity 16.6

Fan: Emerson
    Model: K48HXFEK-3766
    HP 1/10
    Amp 0.75
    PH 1
    V 208-230

Compressor: Copeland
    Model: CR26KF-PFV-130
    Oil: 40 min
    MO: E
    PRD: T
    V: 208-230
    PH: 1
    Hz: 60
    LRA: 76.1

Capacitor is rusted on outside, and couldn't make out any writing, but haven't yet removed to inspect closely.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Aug 5, 2008, 05:17 AM
    It could be the run capacitor for the compressor. It could also be a defective wire on the compressor terminal.

Sometimes a start capacitor if so equipped can also cause this type of problem.

To dig into this problem a meter would be helpful and the knowledge of how to use that meter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My lawn mower engine runs for only about 5 seconds [ 1 Answers ]

My lawn mower engine only runs about 5 seconds

Water runs for 30 seconds and then stops running [ 8 Answers ]

For 5 days now whenever we turn on a faucet the water runs as expected for maybe 30 seconds and then just quits running. This is happening in the kitchen, shower, washing machine, basically everywhere in the house. We live outside the city limits and just recently started receiving 'city' water...

Furnace fan only runs for 30 seconds [ 5 Answers ]

I have a gas furnace in our home. Recently the furnace gas preheats and the fan comes on but only will run for 30 seconds, when the gas reignites the fan turns off. I changed the filter but that made no difference. I looked at the fuses and while looking discovered the that the hot and common wire...

Compressor constantly cycles on/off [ 2 Answers ]

The compressor on my 3 ton unit cycles on for a minute or two and then off for a minute or two, for long periods at a time. The blower is not cycling on/off because of the thermostat setting ( themostat at 78, room temp at 84). The air is cool, so it's not very noticeable inside the house that...

Gas furnace runs two cycles [ 1 Answers ]

My gas furnace is approx. 30 years old. The furnace will run one cycle, shut off and approx. 15 seconds later run again for a shorter period. Everything is working properly, heating correctly etc. but runs two cycles. Any thoughts on why?

View more questions Search