Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    falling Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2007, 06:03 PM
    Early closing 401K
    My exhusband is closing his 401K plan early, he is 56 and needs the cash, moving out of state. According to our divorce agreement, 1/2 is mine and a QDRO is being filed. I have already spoken to a financial consultant and will roll my
    1/2 into an IRA. My ex's attorney is preparing the QDRO to be filed and is charging the fee of $375 to file. My attorney is supposed to be overseeing the paperwork and is charging me $3000. Do I really need an attorney or am I being ripped off? What do I really need to do?
    HELP Falling
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Oct 11, 2007, 06:16 PM
    I may be missing something and also do not know what a QDRO is but it's your money per the divorce decree. Seems to me that you simply provide perhaps only a certified true copy of the divorce decree to the company that has his 401(k), then sign a request with your financial advisor/IRA provider that will be sent to his 401(k) provider directly them to roll over your portion of the funds to your new IRA provider. Tell me if I am missing something.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Closing a 401K account while you have a loan [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know if you can close a 401K account with an employer while you have a loan that you are paying back? I am in serious need of money and that is the only option I can think of. Any help would be appreciated!

401k early withdrawal [ 5 Answers ]

We withdrew in August 2006 my wife's 401k to pay off bills. She has been off work for two years. A Social Security Judge in March 2007 declared her disabled and unable to work. We will be receieving a settlement from Social Security. We were told that since she was disabled there would not be a...

Closing my 401K? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I'm laid off from my place of employment and I'm currently in college full time. I need more money than I'm drawing on unemployment. My home, truck, debt and utility bills are more than I'm drawing. The only source I have is my 401k... I took a loan out earlier last year from the...

Closing a 401k account [ 2 Answers ]

HI. I'm on a Leave of Absence from my place of employment. I need money and the only source I have is my 401k... I took a loan out earlier this year, from the 401k, not knowing I could only have one loan out at a time. So now I feel my only option is to close the account and take whatever is...

401K early withdrawal [ 5 Answers ]

I have been laid off due to a work injury. To survive I must cash in my 401k, but I am trying to avoid the early withdrawal penalty. I have not yet been declared disabled but am currently pursuing this. Our family taxable income is only 26,000.00. I am currently receiving workman's compensation...

View more questions Search