Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    comfortracing Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Aug 10, 2008, 06:55 AM
    Im 5'11" will my medium frame fit me?
    I am a road racer from way back and just got back into mountain biking again (nothing too crazy), and acquired a Cannondale F500 cad2 mountian bike for free. Great bike, responsive and light, but I am concerned about the size. I am 5'11 with a 32" inseam and the bike is a medium frame which i believe on this model is 18-1/2" to 19". Is this bike way too small for me?

Thanks in advace!

Chad
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2008, 07:09 AM
    As you probably know Cannondale bikes are quite expensive. If you can easily fit on the bike (with the seat properly raised) and pedal comfortably, I see no problem with you riding it. Be sure to take good care of this bicycle as chances are slim and none that someone will give you another free Cannondale in a big hurry. Do a few miles for me OK? I twisted my ankle 5 months ago and it has kept me off my mountain bike this summer.
    comfortracing Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Aug 10, 2008, 07:14 AM
    Well the seat is extended pretty far out. It is the reach out to the bars that worry me. I have a good 90 degree bend in the arms, but I am used to my road race bike where I am stretched out and bent over. Here I am not stretched out as much. Is that OK for mtbs?

I also got a free (new) pair of Louis Garneou (sp) shoes and new crank brothers "mallet" pedals. So it was a sweet deal. And even trade for my Lemmond spin bike I never ever used and got at a steal.

Sorry to hear, hope you feel better soon!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2008, 12:08 PM
    Try biking around for a little bit in that position and see how you feel. It does not sound like such an akward position to me, but then it's all what you're used to that matters. You could monkey around with the angle of the handlebars some to see if you could get a better position. I had a small Peugeot racer years ago that was wonderful. I am small framed and it was a good bike for me at the time. It was small enough that I could put it on my shoulder and go up the stairs in the walk up apt I lived in no problem.
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Aug 11, 2008, 09:17 AM
    Go to a local bike shop and get fitted for a bike, they will tell you what size you should be on. Hard to say if it is too small for you, everyone is different in terms of leg and arm length but I'd would think around a 19" frame would be ok for you, I'm 6'2 with long legs and ride a 21" frame.

Try this too for some fitting suggestions:

BG Fit
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Aug 12, 2008, 08:03 AM
    Also, if your bike feels a little small, you can get a longer neck and a layed-back seat post rather than a new bike. Some people like a smaller frame because is is more responsive in tight turns.
    anonymous_10 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2008, 09:25 AM
    No I would say it wouldn't fit you. I have an 06 Cannondale Prophet medium frame and I'm 5'8" and I'm already starting to outgrow it. If I were you I would follow everyone else's advice and buy a proper bike that you know you can trust and get the proper gear for the proper job!
    VolklGuy Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2008, 08:24 PM

Well looking at your measurements, Have you measured the bike? I'd say a 18.5 - 19 should work. Although, if your inseam is 32 and your height is 5'11" then I'd say your torso is long. Taking that into consideration, you may feel a little cramped in cockpit. This can be fixed by using a longer stem. But, seriously, go to a Local Bike Shop and see what they recommend. If they don't want to help you then I wouldn't go back to that shop ever.

Here's another perspective, I'm 5'6" with a 30" inseam. I ride a 17.5" frame which can be considered a medium. Measure your frame.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

"A" frame attic insulation and venting [ 4 Answers ]

I am converting my "A" frame attic into a living space. The joists stick out 5" from the roof and are 22" apart. It's an old house and measurements change give or take a half inch from joist to joist. Even though there is no ridge vent there are roof louvers about 3 ' from the peak. I can only...

Photoshop (Elements) "frame" effect. [ 3 Answers ]

I'm using PE 5.0... trying to find the filter or effect that does this: http://www.kameyhawk.com/xSites/Agents/kameyhawk/Content/UploadedFiles/Kamey_Hawk_Framed_1-1.gif I've googled and searched the Help but coming up empty... maybe cause I don't even know what to call it. Any ideas how I...

How to take "energy balance in diff frame of references" [ 4 Answers ]

Imagine there are only three bodies in the universe 1> A gun 2> A bullet already fired 3> A wooden block which is target of the bullet and is stationary wrt gun before impact with the gun All the three observers associated(stationary) with three bodies will see impact then they should have...

View more questions Search