Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kumar Posts: 31, Reputation: 4

Mar 7, 2007, 07:01 AM
    Do Something Good For Soceity!
    Will it not be wise for Retired Personals to Confess (with their name changed if they like)
    For their sins (if they have done during their life time!) for the uplift men of society at large?
    Because
    By this way society will learn lessons from others sins they have done:confused:
    Or
    This will be a drawback for society (new type of sins will come to light):confused:

Experts / not so expert opinions will be highly appreciated.:)
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2007, 07:17 AM
    Kumar, not sure if I am understanding you completely. Are you suggesting that retired people confess their lifelong sins in a public forum?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2007, 07:29 AM
    That's what I took from it too Ruby, I wasn't quite sure how to respond :p

Mar 7, 2007, 07:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyPitbull
    Kumar, not sure if I am understanding you completely. Are you suggesting that retired people confess their lifelong sins in a public forum?
    Yes "RubyPitbul" u got the bottom of my Q...
    ... retired people confess their lifelong sins in a public forum!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2007, 07:46 AM
    Why just retired people? The way it's going with pension funds and my RRSPs (in Canada) I may be forced to never retire. :-)

Anyway I don't believe it would do any good to society. Personal sins should die with them, illegal stuff should be prosecuted in the courts.
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2007, 07:47 AM
    Frankly, I don't see how doing this would truly benefit anyone for a number of reasons.

First, based upon the many religious and personal beliefs in society, what I consider a sin, you may not. And vice versa.

Second, people may be informed of the sin, but how will that help them to not make the same mistakes? Again, what I consider to be a sin, someone else may not and all they will get out of it is that I have chosen a public platform to talk about my life.

Third, if someone is in agreement that yes, what I did was a sin, how does my listing of my sin help them to avoid the same mistake? Just having knowledge of that sin is not constructive. Who then, will decide to make suggestions to help others avoid making the same mistakes? What if the suggestion from an outside source is a bad one?

Fourth, many younger people do not look for advice. They will choose to do what they want to do. How will you get them to even look at a public forum, much less take that information in, digest in and consciously get them to recognize when they are in that tempted state years from now?

No, Kumar, I have to say that I do not believe lessons can be learned by this and I do believe that it will be a drawback, not to society, but to the people who post.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2007, 07:55 AM
    Hello:

I would, but I ain't never done nothing.

excon

Mar 7, 2007, 06:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Why just retired people? The way it's going with pension funds and my RRSPs (in Canada) I may be forced to never retire. :-)

Anyway I don't believe it would do any good to society. Personal sins should die with them, illegal stuff should be prosecuted in the courts.
    Sin itself is an illegal act so how one can separate it on the ground of personnel sin & illegal act?
    Even though I do agree to some extent that confession in open may not do any good to society but I Disagree with that personal sin should die with the person who has committed it, so can it be said ? :-
    Personnel sins should be prosecuted by the person himself in open courts like public forms etc and illegal stuff should be prosecuted in the courts. (Putting dirt under the carpet is no solution)

Mar 7, 2007, 07:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello:

I would, but I ain't never done nothing.

excon
    Hello Excon,
    ... so nothing applies on you are a freebird now!:)
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2007, 07:15 PM
    What is your personal grudge here? Of what, if any, benefit could come from retired persons confessing their "sins"? That is so illogical. Whatever is in their lives is between them and their confessor - not a public forum. A public forum opens itself up to people who cannot understand, will not understand, will not even try to comprehend what the other has endured. What you are proposing sounds more like a pillar of scourge.

What about your sins? Can we hear them?

You said sin should not die with the sinner - that is not for you to judge here. How do you know that the sin has not been forgiven? You cannot know and thereby cannot stand in the stead of the courts.

Mar 7, 2007, 07:15 PM
    Frankly, I don't see how doing this would truly benefit anyone for a number of reasons.

First, based upon the many religious and personal beliefs in society, what I consider a sin, you may not. And vice versa.

Second, people may be informed of the sin, but how will that help them to not make the same mistakes? Again, what I consider to be a sin, someone else may not and all they will get out of it is that I have chosen a public platform to talk about my life.

Third, if someone is in agreement that yes, what I did was a sin, how does my listing of my sin help them to avoid the same mistake? Just having knowledge of that sin is not constructive. Who then, will decide to make suggestions to help others avoid making the same mistakes? What if the suggestion from an outside source is a bad one?

Fourth, many younger people do not look for advice. They will choose to do what they want to do. How will you get them to even look at a public forum, much less take that information in, digest in and consciously get them to recognize when they are in that tempted state years from now?

No, Kumar, I have to say that I do not believe lessons can be learned by this and I do believe that it will be a drawback, not to society, but to the people who post.
    Many thanks 4 reply, RubyPitbull !

Mar 7, 2007, 10:24 PM
    I Do not have any grudge with myself or with any body else!

Your next points r debatable... seems to be your personnel views... I respect them.

I am not a saint but I have not done any sin intentionally or even unintentionally & what u know if I have already confessed or not confessed? If I have made any sins altogether!

U has a very strong point of "Forgiveness” so I agree with u now, that sin can die with the sinner.
    Thanks
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2007, 11:42 PM
    The only one to confess to is God. God knows all, sees all and we need to bring ourselves to God and openly confess our sins to God. There is no reason to confess in an open forum unless you Kumar has done a major crime and want to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Is it something that you want to do?

There are some churches that teach that you have to confess your sins to a priest. I was brought up that way but now that I am older, I realize there is not reason for the middle man. Going straight to God with our sins is the best way to go.

Joe

Mar 8, 2007, 02:10 AM
    With due respect Mr. Joe (Jesushelper76) from the start till now I wonder how & why all the fingers
    Coming back to me when I told earlier & tell of u to all of now, that I have not to do any thing with whole of this episode.

One thing Stroked in my mind & I wrote the same here with sole purpose of:-

Today we know the type of crimes (sins) done by individuals when they come into light & in these cases special precautions are taken for these special types of crimes.

But what about some type of crimes which never came to light as they r buried with themselves & suddenly when such thing (crime-sin) come up…we were not prepared to face them.

I am really sorry if am not able to put my thing, straight & used the word "confess": :confused:

Thanks for reply.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2007, 02:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kumar
    Sin itself is an illegal act
    No it's not, that where you are dead wrong and your premise falls apart.

Mar 11, 2007, 02:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    No it's not, that where you are dead wrong and your premise falls apart.
    Ur judgment without any explanation is strange for me & all?
    Thanks 4 reply.
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2007, 06:34 AM
    Kumar, what Karma is saying is that for a person to state that "sin itself is an illegal act" is something that none of us have a right to state. You are starting to get into deeper territory here. What is sin? To each of us, it can be different. Although, most of us agree that to murder is to sin, there may be some other acts that you view as a sin and I, or someone else here, does not. That sin that we don't agree upon, may or may not be illegal where each of us lives.

Murder is an act that is not accepted in most of our religions. It is illegal only because of the man made laws that are in place where each of us lives, has made it so. But, what I view as murder - take the bombing of The World Trade Center for instance - Osama Bin Laden and his followers, do not believe it to be murder. He believes that what he did was correct and right. To him, it is not "illegal" and it is not a sin.

Let's talk about something more simple. What if I am driving down a busy road and a squirrel darts out quickly and I accidentally run it over and kill it. It was not my intention to do that. It is not considered illegal. Is it a sin? Well, some people view the act as a sin because no person should do harm to any living creature. It doesn't matter that I did not intentionally mean to do it. But, it was done nonetheless. Should I post on a public forum that I committed a sin because I ran over a squirrel? What good will that do anybody? What purpose would it serve?

Now, if I commit murder of another human being, which is a sin and illegal by most of societies standards, how would my posting that on a public forum help anyone else as you suggest here? How will they learn from that? They won't learn how to avoid doing it. They will just learn that I am someone who should be avoided. It doesn't absolve me of my sin. Frankly, it doesn't serve any constructive purpose whatsoever and leaves me open to attack.

This is why you are getting the responses you are getting Kumar. They are not attacking you here. They are expressing themselves in their own way. They may not be expressing themselves in the way that you want them to. I have translated what you are trying to do is have a lively discussion or friendly debate. Others are not translating it that way. That is the inherent problem here with your posting. Can you just imagine what would happen if someone chose to publish all their sins on a public forum, if you Kumar, can't even publish your thoughts on the issue without feeling as if people are attacking you?

So, I go back to my original posting in that doing what you suggest is not constructive or helpful to anyone in any possible way.
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2007, 07:47 AM
    To him, it is not "illegal" and it is not a sin.
    Ruby, I do agree with your argument, however the point is that legality is separate from sin. Bombing the world trade center is blatantly illegal, both in our countries and his, but to him it was not a sin.
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2007, 08:07 AM
    Capuchin, what country are you talking about when you speak of Bin Laden's country? He doesn't recognize the laws of any country, only the laws of the Koran, as he interprets them.
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2007, 08:09 AM
    So I can go and steal from a shop and say that it's not illegal because I don't believe it is?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it over for good? [ 23 Answers ]

Met the most amazing through an unsolicited IM in 1999. We were in are early 20's. The IMing turned to phone conversations, and then meeting 5 months later. We fell in love so quickly. I moved from my home to where she lived at the beginning of 2000. In the summer of 2006, after some very...

Am I not good enough? [ 9 Answers ]

Hello everyone. I've been a lurker here for days and decided to come clean with my own personal problems. I think that I'm a complex case so I hope you can deal with my lengthy post. Basically.. I've been living in isolation from just about everyone and everything for about four to five years...

Here is another good one. [ 1 Answers ]

What PMS Really Stands For: 13. Psychotic Mood Shift 12. Pack My Stuff 11. Permanent Menstrual Syndrome

Looking for the good in all: [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, How can we find the good in others? Does religion help us to be kinder to others? What do you thinK? Take care, Hope12

Too good, I know but... [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I've seen the attached scheme since before email was big. It seems even more posible if you incorporate the internet as the attached message suggest. What I'd like to know if it is illegal and if it is then why. I didn't include the personal info of the people participating but you get...

View more questions Search