Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DLF Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2005, 05:54 PM
    Shower flange"cast iron"
    I have a stand alone shower on a slab foundation that leaked I pulled the floor out and the cast iron flange for the liner is in bad shape and needs to be replaced. How do I go about this and where do I get the parts.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 14, 2005, 06:39 PM
    Cast Iron flange
    To replace a cast iron shower drain and flange you will have to have lead, okum, a lead ladle, torch and cauking tools. All this plus the necessary plumbing skills to, yarn, lead and caulk a lead joint.
    You can pick up a new one at any plumbing wholesale house. If you will give me some more details perhaps I can come up with a better solution. Cast iron drainage? Have you unscrewed the strainer? Is this flange flat with hex bolts holding it down? Get back to me and I'll answer ASAP. Cheers, Tom
    DLF Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2005, 06:36 AM
    More info. On shower flange
    Thanks speedball1 for the reply... yes I do have the tile floor pulled up and I have it all cleaned up right down to the slab. I was able to remove the screwed- on portion of the flange, but the threads are all rusted away. It apears to be only leaded to the drain pipe not a two bolt flange or anything like that. I did look at the home depot, but they do not carry cast iron parts the guy there suggested a PVC conversion flange but I would need to do some demo to instal it. It seems to me the leaded in cast iron flange would be the best way to go. I feel confident that if I can find the part and with a few tips that I can get the job done.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 15, 2005, 08:00 AM
    Cast Iron Shower Flange
    Try to pry the leaded in portion of the flange out. If you can't do that then take a cold chisel and break it out but be careful not to crack the raiser from the trap. Save the lead. Now go to a plumbing supply house and purchase a new cast iron shower flange and enough okum to yarn in a 2" joint. If they won't sell you that small amount then try a large plumbing shop. Also, you might wish to check around to see if you can borrow or rent a lead ladle, a yarning iron, a packing iron and a set of inside and outside caulking irons. Get your material together and your ducks in a row and I'll walk you through yarning, pouring and caulking a lead joint. Making a lead joint in cast iron is almost a lost art since the advent of plastic and PVC but you have a plumber that broke in on lead joints and I've got a great memory. Let me know when you're ready to began. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need to move toilet left 1" (cast iron) [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, My current problem is I have cast iron plumbing in a concrete floor in a basement. Once the walls were finished and the new travertine floor in I noticed that the center of the toilet flange was only about 10.5" from the wall. This would make it a little tight on the left side when...

Cast Iron Toilet Flange Problems [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have read forums on having the cast iron toilet flange being too high after tile removal. I have some additional questions on this: 1. After removing the Thick set Mortar, the flange is 1 " above the subfloor. Can I just add different types of underlayment to reach the flange (i.e....

Join 4" PVC to Cast Iron Hub [ 2 Answers ]

I am re-routing the main sewer line that goes through the basement/crawl space of my 70+ year old house. Simply put, there are too many re-plumbs, new lines, and/or patches by previous generations. In the next months, a new kitchen and bathroom downstairs are going to cut into this patchwork 2...

Remove cast iron flange [ 2 Answers ]

I am replacing a plastic (fiberglass?) shower pan with a new one. I have the existing pan free from the walls and subfloor, but it is still being held in place by the drain flange (I did remove the strainer!). The flange appears to be cast iron (it is very rusted inside) and is about 4 inches...

Yet another "closet flange is too high, what to do" question [ 6 Answers ]

OK... let me first say thanks again for all the prior help. What's there: Concrete floor 3" cast iron Lead pipe connecting closet flange to closet el Brass closet flange will end up at 1" over fininshed floor... Ok... so I used a small, sharp screw driver and hammer and worked the...

View more questions Search