Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    IBO Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2006, 02:48 PM
    1099-MISC income while on H-1B Visa
    Is it legal to have a 1099-MISC income while being on H-1 Visa? The income is derived from a web based business to while the individual is affiliated but not an employee of. The profit earned by him is reported on a yearly basis as a 1099-MISC that is sent to him by the company. Is this legal? Will this create any hurdles during the Green card processing?

Thanks!
    vaya Posts: 55, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2006, 05:52 PM
    Well, is it legal for you to work there? As far as I understand H1 visas, the answer is no (I am no immigration attorney). Unless, it is the firm that sponsored your H1. It just chooses to give you 1099 instead of W2.

In other words, it's not a question "is it legal to have the 1099-misc," but "is it legal to do that job that sends you the form."

Vaya
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 12, 2006, 08:20 AM
    As Vaya noted, we are not immigration attorneys.

It is my understanding that earning money on the side that is NOT from the employer who sponsored the H-1B visa is not permitted.

However, I believe that it is not stringently enforced.

You DO have to report the income to pay the income tax, however. Failing to do so will get you on the IRS' bad side real quick.
    IBO Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2006, 01:55 PM
    Thanks for the response. I did file my taxes reporting my 1099-MISC income. I am just concerned if I continue to earn income this way outside of my H-1B sponsored employer, will I get into trouble with INS in any way. That is why I asked what the legal implications of such an endeavour are.

Appreciate your reply on this.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    As Vaya noted, we are not immigration attorneys,

It is my understanding that earning money oin the side that is NOT from the employer who sponsored the H-1B visa is not permitted.

However, I believe that it is not stringently enforced.

You DO have to report the income to pay the income tax, however. Failing to do so will get you on the IRS' bad side real quick.
    vaya Posts: 55, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2006, 05:57 PM
    I would quit. I would not want to risk my green card or citizenship over few extra bucks.

Vaya
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 14, 2006, 09:07 AM
    I tend to agree with Vaya's assessment.

Once you have that green card, you can earn as much money as you want in any way you want, as long as it is legal.

Until then, risking your green card or citizenship for a little extra spending money is not real smart.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Resident? F-1 Student with 1099-MISC income [ 6 Answers ]

I realize this is probably a lot of information but I've been on the IRS website multiple times and CANNOT figure out whether I owe taxes: 1. I am currently on an F-1 visa for graduate school in Washington, D.C. - I arrived in the U.S. in Sept 97 on an F-1 visa for boarding high school....

1099 MISC income [ 1 Answers ]

We have an employee who is exercise instructor who also did some painting in our facility for a flat fee. Is the painting income reportable on Form 1099 and if so which box?

1099-MISC income requires schedule C-EZ [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I was on F1 status through 2005. I worked till April as an independent contractor at my company and have an 1099-MISC for that period. Later, I was employed full time and have the corresponding W-2 form. I used an automated tax preparation software (Cintax) provided by my university to...

1099-MISC income and IRA elgibility [ 3 Answers ]

This year for the first time, I received all of my income from pension (30K), 1099-MISC (subcontractor) (60K) and capital gains from the sale of a house (100K+) Does this mean that I can not get either a traditional IRA or a ROTH IRA because I have no "earned income"? Is there any other tax...

How to report income on 1099-Misc? [ 1 Answers ]

I got both W2 & 1099-Misc (Box 7. Nonemployee Compensation) from my employer. When I entered 1099-Misc income in TurboTax, it produced a Form 4137 (social security & medicare tax on unreported tip income). The income reported on 1099-Misc is not unreported tip income, but performance based bonus...

View more questions Search