Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gotta Be A Powerstroke Posts: 13, Reputation: 0

Nov 28, 2007, 04:40 PM
    1995 F250 Powerstroke 7.3 Diesel Won't Start
    1995 F250 Powerstroke 7.3 Diesel
    Will not start and have done the following:

All new glow plugs, valve cover gaskets and glow plug leads.
    New fuel filter and fuel pump, new crank sensor.
    High Pressure Oil Pump exchanged with known used good pump.
    Bled fuel system - NO water present.
    Replaced injector drive module and PCM (preflashed) calibration code F6TF-AYE.
    Replaced low pressure oil pump.
    New glow plug celenoid and changed all fuses.
    New oil filter, oil and new anti-freeze.

On initial scan there was no link between PCM and data port. Replaced PCM and achieved link up. Scanned PCM with auto x-ray 2500 - all updated software.
    NO codes show. NO historical codes.

Shows oil pressure middle of normal on gauge.
    42 PSI fuel pressure.
    Plenty of engine oil in high pressure oil reservoir and injector oil gallies.
    Will turn over but will not start.

Any suggestions/ideas?
    I'll try to answer any questions and if I forgot some information please let me know.
    I am still very new to this. Thanks, Donna
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2007, 06:39 PM
    Thoughts:

. Clean battery terminals and cable connections. Place batteries on charger and ensure they are fully charged. F250s draw a lot of amperage in cold weather.

. Check all under-hood and under-dash fuses with a test light or multimeter. Here's how:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

When you replaced fuses, are you sure they were replaced in the correct slots? There's the potential for major problems, if they were not.

. Even though the glow plugs were replaced, have you checked that they operate properly.

. Do you know that the new PCM is good?

Dec 1, 2007, 06:30 PM
    Thank you txgreasemonkey - Just wanted to update and say that I have passed this information on to my mechanic and am waiting to hear from him. I will post again as soon as I hear something.

Dec 4, 2007, 07:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey
    Thoughts:

. Clean battery terminals and cable connections. Place batteries on charger and ensure they are fully charged. F250s draw a lot of amperage in cold weather.

. Check all under-hood and under-dash fuses with a test light or multimeter. Here's how:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

When you replaced fuses, are you sure they were replaced in the correct slots? There's the potential for major problems, if they were not.

. Even though the glow plugs were replaced, have you checked that they operate properly.

. Do you know that the new PCM is good?
    The battery cables and connections are all clean. He charges the batteries before trying to start it to make sure they are always up.

Said he has checked all the fuses and they are in the correct slots.

The PCM is good and he checked all the glow plugs to be sure they were working properly.

He did get it to start with some kerosene but it wouldn't continue to run once he stopped spraying it in the turbo (?) or where ever you put it. Sorry - not sure on that part.

What else can we do?
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2007, 08:00 PM
    Check the fuel injectors. Take the valve cover off and look at the exhaust part of the injector when it is running. Each time the injector fires, you should see oil exhausting from it. If you see oil coming out, then the injector is good. When replacing a bad injector, take the glow plug out and crank the engine to get any oil out of the cylinder. If you don't, you could hydro-lock and bend a rod.

Dec 4, 2007, 08:29 PM
    Check the fuel injectors. Take the valve cover off and look at the exhaust part of the injector when it is running. Each time the injector fires, you should see oil exhausting from it. If you see oil coming out, then the injector is good. When replacing a bad injector, take the glow plug out and crank the engine to get any oil out of the cylinder. If you don't, you could hydro-lock and bend a rod.
    Does the engine have to be running to check this? If so, there is no way for him to check it.
    Maybe I am misunderstanding what you mean, please tell me if I am. I wish my mechanic had a computer - ha ha. Then you wouldn't have to put up with a woman trying to understand all of this. I am trying though... and I sure appreciate all the help.

Also, my husband just informed me that when the mechanic got it to start with kerosene it was a couple of months ago and it will not start now at all.
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2007, 08:34 PM
    Yes. It should make sense to your mechanic. I suspect fuel and/or an injector problem.

Dec 4, 2007, 09:10 PM
    Yes. It should make sense to your mechanic. I suspect fuel and/or an injector problem.
    Okay, I printed out this info and will pass it on to him tomorrow.

Any chance you can tell me something about the 2 oil pressure switches/sensors in the HPOP oil galley? My mechanic has asked me to find some information on these and I can't find out much. He has talked to several Ford Diesel mechanics who don't seem to know anything about them or that they are even there. There is nothing about them in the manuals that he has either. He can see them with his own eyes though... ha ha.

THANK YOU ! You are much appreciated. :o)

Dec 11, 2007, 10:59 PM
    Check the fuel injectors. Take the valve cover off and look at the exhaust part of the injector when it is running.

Well, because the truck will not start he is not able to check this.

He has went over all the schematics on the truck and can find no problems.
    He took out the new cam sensor and exchanged it for another new one just in case, but it still will not start.

Next step is to load it on a trailer and take it to a ford garage if no one has any other suggestions or ideas. :(

Jan 12, 2008, 08:50 PM
    UPDATE:

We made an appt. with Ford to hook it up to the machine and try to figure this out once and for all. Our mechanic knew we were going to come pick it up the next day to put it on a trailer and take it. He unhooked the batteries, put the PCM back in the holder on the firewall, hooked the batteries back up and tried it 'one more time' and it STARTED.

None of us still know exactly what the problem was. We wondered if it had something to do with the PCM not being mounted to the firewall but the mechanic said it wouldn't matter. (? ) Maybe it does matter?

But, 'she' is running perfectly and boy is it great to have the ole Powerstroke back again. (Pretty tired of driving that gas eater Chevy that gets 7 miles to the gallon and has no power)

Just wanted to thank everyone for their help and suggestions and I hope somehow this thread will help someone else down the road. Thanks again! Donna
    cartotem Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2009, 05:22 PM
    I am having the same problem. Same symptoms, same process of elimination. I suspect it could be a bad spot in that PCM wiring harness. I just can't find it.
    analucero27 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2010, 10:54 AM
    hello my name is ana I have a 95 dieasel truck 4x4 black , and since I get in a cold state of Kentucky the truck don't won't start , always when the truck starts it says( wait to start ) I start the truck and its starts like normal but now I put the key in the switch and I wait so the light like say wait to start but the little light won't turn and say anything somebody can help me my email is [email protected]
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2010, 11:11 AM

analucero27, focus on glow plug Sections 7 and 8:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post1415281
    doggerr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2010, 10:51 AM
    1999 7.3 diesel will not start on glow plugs they are new relays are new will start if pluged in
    phetyai Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2011, 11:06 PM
    I have 95 F-250 power stroke, I removed valve cover and
    Sprayed the Carb cleaner just to see the glow plugs,
    It is possible that can cause the truck won't start?
    Uber Member

May 28, 2011, 06:56 AM

Not likely. Try performing the steps below:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post1415281
    phetyai Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2011, 10:11 AM
    Hpop reservoir empty when refill it go direct inside oil pan show overfill on dipstick, how can I fix it
    james3000gt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2011, 01:16 PM
    My 95 powerstroke has had multiple problems. The last one was, the injector computer. It caused my truck not to start for a month as it sat there and I was beside myself trying to figure it out. The injector computer is on the left fender well. A new one is a thousand bucks. I got one from the wreckin yard for $150. It started up after the engine cleared itself from all the build up of fuel from trying and trying to start it.

Hope this might work for you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Powerstroke 7.3 diesel [ 2 Answers ]

I recently purchased a used 2001 ford 7.3 diesel. It has been a nightmare. First a new ckank position sensor and cleanning of the injectors. Broke down again. This time wiring at the valve covers. Both sides bad. Broke down again. This time three injectors bad. Dealer says 1800.00. To fix. Seems to...

Ford F250 Diesel [ 8 Answers ]

How do I change the head in my Ford F250 diesel?

Broke 2002 f250 7.3 diesel [ 1 Answers ]

My truck won't crank it tries but it seems like the batteries are low voltage was good on them but dropped when trying to crank all guages shoot to left when key is turned then fall back in place also sounds like rattling noise coming from pump mounted on wall of passenger side under hood starter...

View more questions Search