Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cat4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2005, 05:14 PM
    Washer Overflows When Spinning
    I just bought a washer and dryer, only to find I can't use them yet. Here is my problem: I live in an older house, not sure exaclty how old (it has a coal shoot) and I have had some plumbing problems. My first level toilet sometimes flushes very slooowly, and sometimes very well. My main drain from that toilet is about 10 feet from where my washer sits. There is a pipe running off that main drain (pvc, 1.5 in.) near the floor (about 2 in. above) towards my washer. The washer drain pipe makes an inverted T and is the same height as my washer, about 3.5 feet, and is the same 1.5 in. pvc. When the washer spins the water shoots out of the pipe. If I start and stop the washer, to prevent the overflow, I can hear the water gurgling loudling down the pipe into the ground. I had previously had a problem with my kitchen sink overflowing out of the same pipe. The sink is on the first floor of my house, on the opposite wall as the washer. This was resolved by an extensive Draino experience. (Poured into both the sink and the drain pipe) What do I do? HELP!

As a sidenote, if it matters, I have a kitchen and full bath in my basement that do not experience and of these backup or drain problems.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 22, 2005, 05:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cat4
    I just bought a washer and dryer, only to find I can't use them yet. Here is my problem: I live in an older house, not sure exaclty how old (it has a coal shoot) and I have had some plumbing problems. My first level toilet sometimes flushes very slooowly, and sometimes very well. My main drain from that toilet is about 10 feet from where my washer sits. There is a pipe running off of that main drain (pvc, 1.5 in.) near the floor (about 2 in. above) towards my washer. The washer drain pipe makes an inverted T and is the same height as my washer, about 3.5 feet, and is the same 1.5 in. pvc. When the washer spins the water shoots out of the pipe. If I start and stop the washer, to prevent the overflow, I can hear the water gurgling loudling down the pipe into the ground. I had previously had a problem with my kitchen sink overflowing out of the same pipe. The sink is on the first floor of my house, on the opposite wall as the washer. This was resolved by an extensive Draino experience. (Poured into both the sink and the drain pipe) What do I do? HELP!!
    As a sidenote, if it matters, I have a kitchen and full bath in my basement that do not experience and of these backup or drain problems.

By "inverted Tee" I hope you meant trap. Your kitcken sink and your washer are on the same branch and the clog is downstream from the washer stand pipe. Having the washer and kitchen sink on the same drain line can prresent problems especially it the sink has a disposal unit. Since the washer standpipe sounds like it's unvented your best bet is to undo the trap and send a snake up the trap tail. Questions? I'm as close as a click. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washer overflows is pvc set up correctly? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi occasionally we will have an overflow from the pvc pipe going to the septic tank. This occurs when we flush the toilet. How are the pvc pipes supposed to be set up? Would it help if I moved the washer upstairs it is in the basement located 1 foot from the septic tank lead in area from basement?...

GE washer not spinning [ 3 Answers ]

I have a GE washer that will not engage and spin through it's normal cycle. It completes the cycle, the pump drains all the water but it will not spin. All other parts of the cycle seem OK. L not start again. I would like to look inside but am unsure how to make my way in to this machine. Does the...

Washer drain overflows [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, My problem is that my washer drain overflows during drain down of washer water. It appears to be a 1 1/2" line and is shared with dishwasher and kitchen sink. There is a crawl space under laundry room and trap is located below floor in crawl space area. My drainage system feeds into a septic...

Washer Overflows [ 1 Answers ]

My washer drain is overflowing on rinse cycle, I have had the lines rotorooted out twice, they went in from the roof. There is a shower on the same drain and no water is backing up in the shower, so I am thinking that the flow is just too much for the drain to handle. I have also run a water hose...

View more questions Search