Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rebeccaspeer1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2007, 06:53 AM
    Giving your house back to the bank
    Help! I made a bad investment in a place that is going nowhere. If I give my house back to the bank, will it affect my credit? :eek:
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

May 25, 2007, 07:26 AM
    You bet it will do bad things to your credit. It will be the same as a foreclosure. The bank does not have to accept a Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure. If it is foreclosed the bank may (depending on the state you live in) be able to come after you for a deficiency balance.
    rudyinvestment Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2007, 09:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rebeccaspeer1
    Help! I made a bad investment in a place that is going nowhere. If I give my house back to the bank, will it affect my credit? :eek:
    Where did you buy? I'm in a similar situation and I'm trying to figure out what to do. I know there aren't many options so I'm trying to find the least damaging option. Email me.
    Thanks!
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Jun 18, 2007, 08:36 AM
    I assume that the property may be worth less than is owed on it. Neither you or the lender want a foreclosure. Contact your lender to see if they might be agreeable to a "Short Sale". That is where you sell the property and the lender settles for less than what is owed on the mortgage. If the Short Sale does take place it will be better than a foreclosure, but the lender will send to you and the IRS a 1099 for the amount of the shortage that you will have to pay taxes on. I believe that the Feds are considering changing that rule. Good luck.
    lizny Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2008, 09:45 AM
    I'm in the same situation - own a home in NY - no problem with this home, I'm not selling, but I bought an investment condo in Myrtle Beach less than 2 yrs ago - I'm into the property at over $600,000. Several of the units in my building are selling from $369-$419k
    I owe the bank $525,000. I'm ready to loose my $ and walk away - What's my best option?
    omgjim Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2010, 09:01 PM
    Yeah, I would like to get some credit for not defaulting. Credit me for renting it for less than the payment. I moved but could not sell... not even for the pay off amount, which I know is pretty common place, but I am down 140,000 and still making payments. Two options: 1 give it back. 2 keep making payments from a second or third job and rent it and hope like hell I can sell it next year. But let's not forget about cap and trade, which the rich for life politicians in Washington don't have to worry about.
    People don't you understand that once these people get into office we owe them and their families pension and health care for life. Public service my ***.
    It's your *** that is being serviced.
    CJREAD Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2012, 03:36 PM
    Im at the tail end of a blood bath of a divorce. I ended up with a House I don't really want, consumer debt, and a hefty sum of child support each month. There is work that needs to be done to the house to make it sellable, but my financial resources won't permit that work any time soon. I am moving out of the house within 2 months regardless. Would it be in my best interest to forfeit the deed?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Turning property back to the bank [ 6 Answers ]

Due to many unforseen situations, I cannot make the payements on my house and want to know if I can turn the property over to the mortgage company? If so, how do I go about dong this?

Deeding your house back to bank [ 3 Answers ]

Is deeding your house back to the bank the same as a foreclosure?

Voluntary giving your house back to the bank [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know the nature of voluntary repo of a home. Can you let me know what would happen if I can no longer afford my mortgage and opt not to refinance because the mortgage would still be too high since I've had a death in family 5 months ago and I no longer have any assistance with my...

Need to Deed a House back to the bank [ 5 Answers ]

I currently own 2 properties and I need to sell one of them. It is a condo in Howell MI. We have tired everything to try and sell the property from paying closing costs to increasing the commission for the agents selling or buying the property. We have run out of ideas and money and now we need to...

Deeding your home back to the bank [ 9 Answers ]

If a senior citizen is forced to deed his/her house back to the bank, will that affect the senior citizen's credit rating?

View more questions Search