Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Apologisenow Posts: 295, Reputation: 2

Jun 2, 2007, 02:28 AM
    DVD ROM and DVD RW drives won't read any discs.
    I've tried a few discs in both drives and neither of the drives can read them. It's like there's nothing in the drives. :confused:. I think it might be a problem to do with some software I had installed 'Sonic software'. I have now removed this but the CD drives still have an exclamation mark next to both the drives in device manager. When I open up both of the drives properties I get this message 'Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)'. There is an option to roll back driver and update driver. I have tried update but it says I already have the best software. Not sure whether trying roll back driver would help?? Or is there anywhere I can get the drivers for the CD drives from? The models of the drives are, PHILIPS DVD-ROM DROM6316 and TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H553A. We have also been told to do a system restore but we would rather not if we don't have to. Thanks!
    DJSpooky Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2007, 02:40 AM
    What you need to do is uninstall the drives from device manager and reboot Windows. This should detect them and install Window Stock Drivers for them. Then I think what you need is a trip to the website associated with each drive and get the latest drivers if any then update them in device manager by right clicking each drive in turn and choose to update the driver.

Hope that helps you.

Jun 2, 2007, 02:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Apologisenow
    I've tried a few discs in both drives and neither of the drives can read them. It's like there's nothing in the drives. :confused:. I think it might be a problem to do with some software i had installed 'Sonic software'. I have now removed this but the CD drives still have an exclamation mark next to both the drives in device manager. When i open up both of the drives properties i get this message 'Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)'. There is an option to roll back driver and update driver. I have tried update but it says i already have the best software. Not sure whether or not trying roll back driver would help??? Or is there anywhere i can get the drivers for the CD drives from? The models of the drives are, PHILIPS DVD-ROM DROM6316 and TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H553A. We have also been told to do a system restore but we would rather not if we dont have to. Thanks!
    Okay ill try that now. Thanks :)

Jun 2, 2007, 02:45 AM
    I've tried a few discs in both drives and neither of the drives can read them. It's like there's nothing in the drives. :confused:. I think it might be a problem to do with some software i had installed 'Sonic software'. I have now removed this but the CD drives still have an exclamation mark next to both the drives in device manager. When i open up both of the drives properties i get this message 'Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)'. There is an option to roll back driver and update driver. I have tried update but it says i already have the best software. Not sure whether or not trying roll back driver would help??? Or is there anywhere i can get the drivers for the CD drives from? The models of the drives are, PHILIPS DVD-ROM DROM6316 and TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H553A. We have also been told to do a system restore but we would rather not if we dont have to. Thanks!
    Before I do it, you said 'should detect'. Is there a way of getting them back if it doesn't?

Jun 2, 2007, 02:49 AM
    I'm guessing your using Windows XP? If so it will detect any new devices on the PC and it should treat both your drives as new because there won't be any drivers.

Jun 2, 2007, 02:51 AM
    Thanks a lot I'll try now.

Jun 2, 2007, 02:52 AM
    Mmm I've also checked the Microsoft support forums for you and if the device drivers still don't work I would take a look here.

DONE - Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39) - MSDN Forums

Jun 2, 2007, 02:54 AM
    And just in case it's good old XP I would suggest this as well.

You can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive, or you receive an error message after you remove a CD recording program or a DVD recording program in Windows XP: "error code 31"

Jun 2, 2007, 03:41 AM
    Thanks I'm uninstalling now :)

Jun 2, 2007, 03:47 AM
    I've uninstalled both of them, they were automatically found and I have checked for updates and there still is'nt any. There is still also the exclamation marks on the drives in device manager.

Jun 2, 2007, 03:55 AM
    I did the first thing on the link u sent me You can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive, or you receive an error message after you remove a CD recording program or a DVD recording program in Windows XP: "error code 31" and it now works :) Thanks ever so much. No need for a system restore after all.

Jun 2, 2007, 03:57 AM
    Have you tried the Microsoft forums I suggested? There could also still be parts of that sonic software on your system. Not the program but pointers in the windows Registry.

This is something I would not try unless you really know what you're doing but go to your start button on your windows taskbar, open the run command and type regedit for the registery editor.

Then do a control f and type in sonic and see if there are any parts of the registery which still have pointers to that piece of software. If there is delete them.

Remember that you should only attempt playing with the registery if you know what you are doing.

Alternatively get hold of a good registery editor like registery mechanic and let that search for any invalid shortcuts to remove traces of uninstalled programs.

The only other thing I can suggest and it's the most drastic is format the Hard Drive and start again.

If you have more than one HDD back up all important data to the second HDD and then start again.

It's really frustrating as this has happened to me before and I tried everything before wiping the HDD.

Good Luck

Jun 2, 2007, 03:59 AM
    I did the first thing on the link u sent me You can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive, or you receive an error message after you remove a CD recording program or a DVD recording program in Windows XP: "error code 31" and it now works :) Thanks ever so much. No need for a system restore after all.
    Excellent news and glad to have been of service to you, enjoy your day.

Jun 2, 2007, 04:03 AM
    You to thanks so much!! I rated your comment to :)
    Sapphrina Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jun 14, 2007, 05:24 PM
    I have the same problem about the drive not reading my discs. I thought it was because I changed brands but they play in another computer. I uninstalled and rebbooted the system and tried again but it isn't working. What other programs besides Sonic would mess up the system for my drive?
    Thanks,
    Sapph

Jun 15, 2007, 06:40 AM
    Not sure about other programmes but I would suggest you try the Microsoft solution that I suggested to apologise now. Click the blue highlighted text and that should help you out.

Goodluck:) :) :)
    Ziminy13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2010, 07:10 PM
    DO NOT BUY A NEW DRIVE
    Why this information is not easy to find is beyond me.
    Try this:

Device Manager
    IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
    >right click
    Primary IDE Channel (I do secondary as well)
    Properties
    Advanced Settings
    Transfer Mode
    >Change from DMA to PIO

This worked for me both times this problem cropped up.
    Don't know why so many "EXPERT" sites never have an answer for this common problem.

Quit telling people to buy new drives when you don't know what's wrong.
    pomeroy11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2010, 06:34 PM
    I am using windows 7 home premium and can not see this option
    Bri81 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2011, 11:48 AM
    You have to install with your second disc from Windows the drivers are on a separate disc. Mine is called E521 ResourceCD.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

PIONEER dvd rom not detecting [ 1 Answers ]

Dear all, I have one Pioneer DVD ROM 116RD. I am using windows XP SERV. PACK 2. When i am insert my dvd in to dvd rom it is not detecting. but dvd drive is showing. some times it is detecting. any one can help me....... jk

Dvd rom drive [ 2 Answers ]

Halo there. My toshiba dvd rom drive doesn't regnises any cd I put yet it was working well before. The icon is there. What could be the problem and how can I solve it?:confused:

CD/DVD Discs for backups question [ 6 Answers ]

Hi there, I'm a novice. Could someone please explain to me the difference between CD+RW and CD-RW. In particular what the + and - signs mean. I want to buy some backup discs for my computer and I'm not sure which is best. I have a LG DVD/CD multi recorder DVD/CD rewritable drive. It's an LG...

2 DVD Writers and 1 DVD Rom [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Pent 4 with 512 ram, 60 gig HD. I would like to hookup my 2 DVD Burners so that I can make 2 copies at the same time from my DVD Rom.. Is this possible and what do I need to connect them? Appreciate any help folk... Oops, thanks folks, I discovered that this task can be performed...

XP refuses to read my CD/DVD drives [ 4 Answers ]

Whenever I put in a CD into my DVD drive, it won't autoplay. I have 2 drives, DVD and CDRW, and both suffer from the same problem. The only way to get autoplay working is by leaving the CD in the drives and restarting the computer. The other way is to continually pop the cd drive in and out...

View more questions Search