Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jigyasu Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2007, 12:53 PM
    Having H1B visa and Wife H4 can we file Tax return Jointly
    Hi I am first time filing the Tax returns in US I am a software engineer and presently located in WA state. I am in US since late July 06 and my wife comes here in second week of Nov 06.
    My questions are
    1. Can we file Tax returns Jointly if so which form I should fill (here I am talking about Federal tax only)?

2. My wife doesn't have ITIN number and when we went to the IRS office they refuse to accept the form separately I mean they need tax return form with that.

3. I want to know how I can get the maximum returns? :)

Thanks

Waiting for your valuable replies
    abhi2001 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2007, 01:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jigyasu
    Hi i am first time filing the Tax returns in US i am a software engineer and presently located in WA state. I am in US since late july 06 and my wife comes here in second week of Nov 06.
    My questions are
    1. Can we file Tax returns Jointly if so which form i should fill (here i am talking about Federal tax only)?

2. My wife doesn't have ITIN number and when we went to the IRS office they refuse to accept the form separately i mean they need tax return form with that.

3. I want to know how i can get the maximum returns? :)

Thanks

Waiting for your valuable replies
    Hi,

1. Yes, you can file married filing jointly
    2. When you have your tax docs ready, you need to submit the ITIN application at the same time
    3. Go ahead with a consultant, don't do a self return (thats my experience, I have saved more)
    jigyasu Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2007, 02:27 PM
    Thanks for your reply. But please tell me which form I should fill and how much normally consultatnt charges for this?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 1, 2007, 08:34 AM
    You will file Form 1040EZ, 1040A or 1040, depending on the complexity of your return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file as Married filing Jointly or Separately, if my wife has not entered US. [ 10 Answers ]

Hi David, I thought I'd post in this topic because I have a case similar to that of Balajinaik. However the website doesn't let me continue in his post, so I have to start a new Thread. I have been on an H1B visa through 2006 and will be filing as a resident alien. I got married in India in...

Tax return. I am on H1B and My wife in India [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I am in USA for the full tax year 2006. My wife is in India and can't come here before April 15 which is the last day of filing Federal tax return(May be she will not join me in another 7-8 months). What will be the status of my tax return? What is the process to claim the tax...

Tax Return for H1B visa holder -expenses- [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1B visa since this Oct. 2nd. My OPT expired on June 2006, so I went back to Japan and stayed there Until end of Sept. My company hold my position while I am gone since I was supposed to apply last year (Due date was so quick so I could not Apply, but company promissed they'll...

Tax return for "married" with wife on H4 Visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am in New Jersey since September 2004. So in the calendar year of 2005 I have been a resident of New Jersey. I am on H1 Visa. My wife Came to US in May 2005 on H4 Visa. I have following questions on filing tax return for 2005: 1. Am I a resident alien? Is my wife a ...

H1B starting on 3/1/05, may I file form1040 jointly with noresident husband? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a Chinese. My OPT ended in 2/28/05. My fisrt $5000 was tax free because of the treaty. However, my SS and medicare tax were withhold for these two months under my OPT. My H1B started on 3/1/05. I would gratefully appreciate your help on the following questions: 1) Am I a dual-status...

View more questions Search