Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pellecheaty Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2009, 12:17 PM
    Court ordered child support.
    I am being told by two different people who work in the court system, I want to know the truth about how long or at what age do I have to pay support? Is it 18, or 21? Now I hear if they attend college it is 21 yrs. For the support to be paid. I have three children who are not in college and never have been but I am being told to pay for them until they are age 21. What is the truth? Thank you.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2009, 12:20 PM

Welcome to AMHD. The answer probably depends on which state you reside in.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 20, 2009, 12:30 PM

George is correct, this is generally governed by state law and state laws vary.

But even more than law its usually specified in the support order. Usually a support order will say support continue until the child is 18 or finished with schooling.

Jan 20, 2009, 12:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Pellecheaty View Post
    I am being told by two different people who work in the court system, I want to know the truth about how long or at what age do I have to pay support? Is it 18, or 21? Now I hear if they attend college it is 21 yrs. for the support to be paid. I have three children who are not in college and never have been but I am being told to pay for them until they are age 21. What is the truth? Thank you.
    You are right, I'm sorry the State I'm speaking about is Indiana.

Jan 20, 2009, 12:46 PM

Indiana Child Support, Child Support Enforcement

Age of Emancipation / Age of Majority in Indiana

Indiana Code (IC 31-16-6-6) sets the age of emancipation at 21 years of age.
    In Indiana, child support is automatically terminated at age 21, unless the child has been determined to be legally incapacitated or an order for educational support beyond high school is established prior to the child turning 21.

So, as I said, its more a matter of the support order.

Jan 20, 2009, 03:08 PM

Scott this does and it don't. I guess I need a copy of the divorce papers! I am 100% disabled and it was not recognized until three and a half years after the divorce. The real problem is she never turned in the disability papers to the support court! She is friends with the prosecutor and his wife(the director of support) If I could get me an attorney I would have these three but good! I don't know how he does it, but every atty. I try to hire he get's to them and they can not help me! It truly is an unreal case! Thank's ScottGem.

Jan 20, 2009, 07:42 PM

Its not your ex's responsibility to turn in the info about a change in circumstances. YOU need to petition the court for a modification of the support agreement due to your change in circumstances.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2009, 06:17 AM
    Scott this does and it don't. I guess I need a copy of the divorce papers! I am 100% disabled and it was not recognized until three and a half years after the divorce. The real problem is she never turned in the disability papers to the support court! She is freinds with the prosecutor and his wife(the director of support) If I could get me an attorney I would have these three but good! I don't know how he does it, but every atty. I try to hire he get's to them and they can not help me! It truly is an unreal case! Thank's ScottGem.

If YOUR circumstances have changed YOU have to file with the Court for a modification/reduction based on changed circumstances. I do not see the Court changing the age until which you have to pay support (from 21 to 18) but I do see a reduction in the amount you have to pay (until age 21).

What did the Director of Support, his wife and your wife do in violation of your State laws?
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2009, 06:58 AM
    ...I guess I need a copy of the divorce papers! I am 100% disabled and it was not recognized until three and a half years after the divorce. The real problem is she never turned in the disability papers to the support court!...
    100% disabled, by whom? Are you receiving social security disability benefits?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

C/S required after 18 if court ordered and child lives with no custodial by choice? [ 4 Answers ]

... court ordered decree of 1996 states c/s to cont after age 18 if child remains in sec education. Father attempts to exercise age emanicipation, but cont to pay a reduced amt. by my insistence; however both children chose to live with Dad for school choice at age 15. He always paid same amt...

Suspened drivers license for non-pymt of court ordered child-support. [ 6 Answers ]

I would like to know if and how I can go about getting my license back now that my son has turned 18 years old and is no longer considered a ward of the state. Who do I contact, or what procedures do I need to take? :confused:

Paternity Results before child support can be ordered? [ 3 Answers ]

What is the proper procedure? When my son's "so-called" daughter was 5, he received papers saying he was going to court for child support. How can they prove the child was his? A paternity test~ right? This girl could not receive WIC or other support because she earned too much at her job since...

What do you do when the court ordered supevisor does not follow court order? [ 8 Answers ]

My children have been having supervised visits every other weekend on sat for one hour. This started in late August. The judge granted supervised visit's for the father every fri night and sat afternoon for one hour each. The father said he only wanted every other weekend to the supervisor, so...

Court ordered Mediation vs Court Trial [ 4 Answers ]

Hello again, I'm going into a mediation next month concerning a past credit card debt that I am being sued for. I plan on using the SOL defense as the date of last activity falls past the statute date. Anyhow, I was wondering what the difference between a Court ordered mediation and a normal...

View more questions Search