Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    indy6969 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2010, 05:23 AM
    can I replace 12x8 cold air return duct with 12 inch flex duct in my basement?
    I need head room in my basement and want to take down the old cold air return metal duct work 12x 8 and re-route to the plenum with 12"flex duct. Will this be a problem with the furnace working properly? Please advise
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2010, 05:28 AM

Flex duct is the last thing you should use.. it is highly restrictive compaired to rigid ducting. Besides possibly being in violations of code somepolaces (no I don't know the building codes).
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2010, 05:24 PM
    The 12" size is correct. Make sure you install a duct rated for return air use, reinforced to withstand the negative pressure of a return air situation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cold Air Duct Return Blows Instead of Sucks [ 16 Answers ]

HI, I need your help. I have purchased a home that has a new Hi-Effency forced air furnace. The house has a 2 1/2 ft crawl space - no basement. The heating and return ducts are below under the floor boards of the house in the crawl space. The crawl space is insulated as are the ducts. My...

Why is my heating return duct blowing cold air [ 2 Answers ]

I have hot air central heat and the return duct is blowing out cold air and at the same time sucking in the room air

Return Air Duct not sealed [ 3 Answers ]

I was told by a home inspector that the two return air ducts in the house are not sealed properly. Can any body let me know how to go about getting this fixed, what the costs might be. One is on the first floor and one is on the second floor. Thanks

Cold return air duct [ 2 Answers ]

Because the egress windows from the basement will not be large enough for the fresh air requirement, I have to install a ventilation return duct from outside. How do I go about doing this? My local Lowe's only appeared to have exhausts, but no intakes. It also needs to be 6", so I can't modify a...

Return Air Duct [ 3 Answers ]

I rent a townhome. It has 2 air conditioning units. I don't know what brand they are. The upstairs does not cool very well. It is always warmer than downstairs. The return air unit is in the storage closed downstairs. There are 2 return air ducts. The one downstairs was covered up behind...

View more questions Search