Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JLH1161 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2009, 09:26 AM
    98 Honda accord electrical issue
    My 1998 honda accord just recently is not starting on the first turn of the key. All lights, displays go on but the engine does not start. I take the key out lock the doors mess around with opening and closing the door, then turn the key again and it starts.

I have come to the conclusion it has to be electrical. My automatic door locks now only work on the driver side when you push it, the locks on the passenger side do not pop up. Any suggestions?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2009, 09:38 AM

Proper ignition system evaluation begins by answering three basic diagnostic questions:

1. When you turn the ignition switch to ON (Position II), does the Check Engine Light (CEL) come on and then go off after 2 seconds? If not, the problem is with the ACG (ALT) (S) fuse, in the under-dash fuse/relay box; ECM (perform the K-Test, below); Main Relay; or the Ignition Switch. Perform tests in that order.

2. When the CEL goes out, do you hear and/or feel the Main Relay "click"? If not, repair or replace the Main Relay.

3. During the 2 second interval that the CEL is on, do you hear the fuel pump in the gas tank run? If not, check the fuel pump.

If the CEL does not go out, most Civics will not spark and the fuel pump will not run. That's why we begin our diagnosis here. Remember, the Main Relay actually contains two individual relays. One relay is energized whenever the ignition is on, which supplies battery voltage to the ECM, power to the fuel injectors, and power for the second relay. The second relay is energized for 2 seconds when the ignition is switched on, and when the engine is running which supplies power to the fuel pump.

Next, test all under-hood and under-dash fuses with a test light or multi-meter. Using a test light or multi-meter is faster, more accurate, and eliminates the possibility of replacing a fuse in the wrong slot. This is easy to do in the dark and cramped location of most under-dash fuse boxes. After all fuses are tested, check for any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs). Ignition components that usually cause Hondas to unexpectedly die or not start are (listed in order): Main Relays, Ignitors, coils, and ECMs.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2009, 09:45 AM

The first thing to do, when you have an electrical problem on a car, is to ensure the battery is fully charged. The second thing you want to do is to test all under dash and under hood fuses with a test light or multi-meter:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

It's amazing how many problems are fuse-related. You need to establish a "baseline" of what's known to be good.

For your door lock problem, try spraying the switches with WD-40. Also, spray inside the door locking mechanism with WD-40, as well as the inside of the ignition switch.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honda Accord Euro 2003 Electrical [ 9 Answers ]

I am having a problem with my electrics in general. Here is what's happening: A. While driving (daytime) occasionally my dash lights, needles and radio lose power momentarily. General while slowing down (braking). B. While driving (at night) the same thing happens but the headlights go out too....

1995 Honda Odyssey - Weird Electrical Issue [ 6 Answers ]

Hi My 1995 Oddity developed an issue wherein every so often it didn't want to start. It would crank and the motor would go, but then it would immediately fizzle out as if it weren't getting any fuel. The problem became more frequent over time, but once the car started it ran flawlessly. Then...

98 Honda Accord will not turn over - electrical is working [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 98 Honda Accord and the lights, radio, and all electrical work but the engine will not turn over. Could this be some kind of security problem.

Honda Accord Electrical problems [ 1 Answers ]

My 2003 Honda accord will not start, I was driving on a highway and the malfunction indicator came on, the car was running fine, I got where I was going and turned the car off. The next day the car would not start, no lights, no noise when key is in the ignition, engine did not even attempt to...

View more questions Search