Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AlwaysCarryASpoon Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2007, 05:58 PM
    A/C Repair or replace? SEER 12 or 19? A/C or Heat Pump?
    Have you ever studied up on something, and the more information you got, the more confused you became? That's where I am on an air conditioning problem I have. Here's the story:

We recently bought an eleven year old home we plan to stay in the rest of our lives (20 years or more). This past weekend, the A/C (11 year old, 5 ton Trane SEER 12) developed a major leak in the A-coil (once filled, it stops working within six hours). I've had two companies look at it, and here's what they tell me:

Replace the A-coil for $1500. It fixes the problem, but does it make sense to spend $1500 on a 11 year old system. The A/C guy says that if I need to replace the outside unit later it will be compatible.

Replace the whole A/C unit for $4300 for a SEER 13 unit. While that gives a little better efficiency, it's not a lot, and it's just an A/C unit, not a heat pump. If I'm going to spend that much money, why not go for a heat pump?

Replace the unit with a SEER 13 heat pump for $5300. A heat pump which will help in winter (I currently heat with propane), but a SEER 13 isn't real efficient, and not a lot more efficient than my current A/C that I can just repair for only $1500.

Go for a truly high efficient heat pump (SEER 19). The cost there goes up a lot (to about $9000). If the payback really there?

Or for only ~$13,000 I could go with a SEER 19 ground source unit. Really efficient, but there's a big difference between $1,500 and $13,000.

A little more information: I'm in the KC area, so it can get cold here in the winter and hot in the summer, but electricity is pretty cheap.. . Around 0.07/kwh.

Any suggestions would be nice to have at this point.

--------------------------------------------------
    Always Carry a Spoon -- You never know when someone is going to offer ice cream!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 11, 2007, 11:33 PM
    First off the coil replacement price is to high. Usually they can be done for 750.00 to 1000.00 and they are still making good $$$. Usually they give you a high ball price to get you to by new.

This is the most important thing you need to know about HVAC.
    Find a company that really knows what they are doing. It is not so much the cost of the job but can install it correctly and fix it when it breaks down.
    Check with friends etc. to find a good company.

Heat pumps do save money so that will be a good option
    AlwaysCarryASpoon Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2007, 07:07 PM
    HVAC1000,

Thanks for the response, and you're right. The coil is way overpriced. I got two more estimates, one for $780 and another for $816!

I'm still thinking of changing out the unit for a heat pump (although, based on the price quotes I got, I don't think ground source will ever pay back). One of the guys who gave me an estimate told me that he had worked on the unit at least twice before (he called the previous owner by name) and he said if it were his, he wouldn't put too much more money in it.
    PatricioMontes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2011, 10:31 PM
    If you've spent money in an 11 year old house, to live in, your best deal is to fix your actual a/c, and keep on using the house as you bought it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replace or Repair ? [ 5 Answers ]

The verdict: Bryant Heat pump's compressor is shorted to ground. Unit is 8 years old, out of warranty (warranty only 5 years) Now I have to chose one out of three 1. Replace the compressor alone: $1,750 for material &labor. Warranty for 1 year 2. Replace the outside unit: around $3,000...

Replace or Repair? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Its -15degC outside and my furnace will not light. Thankfully my gas fireplace seems to be keeping up. I have a Keeprite furnace with a Honeywell SV9501M main gas and pilot controller. I have checked the all the limits and the Solenoid is receiving 28V to ask for heat. The Solenoid also...

Should I replace or repair my TV? [ 5 Answers ]

My TV has a white horizontel line across the screen, dividing the screen in half. Above the line the screen is totally black and below the line the picture is normal. It's a Samsung 25" TXE 25346.

Heat pump or Standard? & Should I replace [ 1 Answers ]

Hello All! I'm a complete novice at this. But how do I tell if I have a heat pump or a standard unit. Also my home is about 16 years old and I'm guessing these are the original units. How can I tell when these units should be replaced? And If I do replace it any advice on what unit I...

View more questions Search