Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mercuryh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2007, 01:08 AM
    Window Air Conditioner fan runs when you turn it off.
    Hi,
    I have a Hampton Bay AC (110 v) window AC unit with a fan that continues to run after you turn the power switch to off. It runs for 4-5 minutes after you switch it "off", then the fan turns off. It has never done this before, so I know it isn't proper operation. The lights on the LED display do go out when you switch it to "off".

Also, the pump won't kick on until you turn the thermostat *way* down, to about 60, when it should come on at 73.

It just started doing this last night. I woke up because it was very hot in the room, and the coils were iced over. (Yes, it is clean) I assumed they iced over because it had really cooled off outside, and window AC units will do that if you run it when it is too cold outside.

Any ideas? I've worked on many different electrical systems, power controllers, etc. so I'm not afraid to troubleshoot, but I don't know where to start on this one.

I'm going to pull it apart tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Merc
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

May 3, 2007, 01:23 PM
    You could have a bad thermostat. If it was a cool night outside but warm inside the evaporator coil could ice up. That is called low ambiant condition.

Some units do let the air blow for a minute or two to get all the cooling out of the unit. I suggest you read your operators manual to see if this is the case.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2005 Dometic Roof Air Conditioner Fan not operating [ 2 Answers ]

2005 Sea Breese LX RV is equipped with two Roof Mounted Dometic Air Conditioners. The duct fans have stopped working even though the Air Conditioner Compreser Motors operate. When fan switch is turned on there is a humin noise but fan does not operate. The ducts are in the ceiling. I can't find...

Trane air conditioner fan blower mower sticks [ 1 Answers ]

I have a trane split unit A/C wall mounted. The A/C works fine but I noticed that when the unit is turned off and then I go to turn it on the next day, I can't hear the fan blower running but the unit is powered on. So, I shut the unit off and remove the cover over the fan blower and notice that...

Window Air Conditioner & Circuit Tripping [ 7 Answers ]

We installed a window air conditioner two days ago. Unit operated fine with no problems up until yesterday when it began tripping the circuit breaker. The unit is 120V and is the only thing plugged into the circuit (We have unplugged every other single item). The tripping of the circuit happens...

Inside fan runs, outside fan runs, but air is not cold [ 8 Answers ]

The inside fan runs and runs, the outside fan on the compressor runs and runs, but only hot air comes out. I sprayed the outside compressor coils with the garden hose to clean them and checked the inside filter. Is there something else I could check? Thanks

View more questions Search