Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tenantrights Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2009, 10:02 AM
    Evicting a Roommate
    I co-signed a lease for my son. He lives in the property alone. I put down the first month and last month security deposit and paid the rent in July and August. It looks like I will end up paying September as well. The apartment is in Florida, I live in New Jersey. I don't know what to do, he has shut off his phone, I can't reach him. I sent him a letter today asking that he vacate the property if he doesn't come up with the rent for September. It's my understanding that he doesn't have to pay or vacate - can that be true??
    HELP
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2009, 10:32 AM

You can't evict him. You are a tenant too. The landlord has to. You are both responsible for the lease to the landlord. How you work it out has nothing to do with the landlord.

Sorry.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Evicting a roommate [ 7 Answers ]

How can I evict my boyfriend from my house? He is not on the title to the house or the mortgage. He will not leave on his own, so I need to know what I have to do to get him out. I live in Ohio.

Evicting a roommate [ 4 Answers ]

I rented a room and the roommate has been here a little over a month and I want to give her notice to vacate. Do I give her 30 or 60 days? It was rented on a month to month basis. She says that I have to pay her moving in costs and her moving out costs if I want her to leave. I do not have a...

Evicting roommate [ 4 Answers ]

Greetings folks, About 7 months ago, I rented a room in my house to an old friend that recently came back into my life. He had just started a new job, and was looking for a place to stay. I wrote up a month-to-month contract, and he signed it. Terms were $400 a month due at the end of the...

Evicting roommate [ 3 Answers ]

I have a friend who has been living with her boyfriend for 10 years. He does not pay any bills or rent. His name is not on the lease. My friend lives in Georgia. My friend wants her boyfriend to leave her house. The only problem is that they have children together that live in the house with...

View more questions Search