Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bestrada65 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2013, 05:56 AM
    Loss of water inside house if water hose outside is used.
    It seems that about two months ago I noticed that when I use the water hose outside that the water pressure in the house was less and less gradually, not it is to the point that when I use the water hose, I have "NO" water in the house (Even the one outside in the water hose is losing pressure now too). What is causing this? Thank you!
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 16, 2013, 11:12 AM
    Hello Bestrade65...

What you describing is an effect of under-sized pipes throughout your house. Also, the hose valve should not be connected to the interior house plumbing.

To eliminate this problem, you will have to re-plumb the hose valve supply pipe. Run new pipe directly from your main line to the hose valve.

In the interim, if you have water pressure regulator than you can try to increase pressure to the max (75psi) to compensate for volume loss while hose valve is being used.

Hope that helps. Back to you. Milo

May 16, 2013, 12:03 PM
    Thank you so much for your quick response, but what I can't understand is I have been at this hours 3 /12 years and my water has always been fine (even when I water outside) so if it's the pipes why wasn't this an issue before and why is this something that has been gradually been happening only in the last two months or so? (it didn't just happen in one day). Thanks!
    Plumbing Expert

May 16, 2013, 12:15 PM
    Let me aks you few questions:

Is this water volume drop noticeable in every faucet in house - or in one faucet only ?
    Do you have water pressure regulator installed ?
    Any plumbing work done in your house lately ?
    Was main water coming to your house turned OFF recently ?

Back to you. Milo

May 16, 2013, 01:25 PM
    *when the outside hose is "on" only this is when there is "NO" water in my kitchen sink, toilets, garage sink or I can't even use my washing machine. All of inside of house is affected. *I do not know of a pressure regulator. *I had a fix on a sprinkler above ground PVC pipe repaired where the main water was shut-off but my problem was surfacing before then (I could see the water pressure dying away before that repair 3 weeks ago and I had mentioned it to the Plumber then). Before he even shut off the main to do his work.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 16, 2013, 02:05 PM
    How old is your house? What type of pipes? Galvanized, cop[per or plastic? Back to you, Tom
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 16, 2013, 03:33 PM
    A pressure regulator valve (PRV) looks something like my picture below... see if you have this close to the water meter. If you have a PRV this may be clogged up and need to be cleaned by removing the screen and cleaning the filter.

If you don't have a PRV then my next thought would be to check with your local water department and have them come out to see if there is a leak coming from the pipe underground. Here, depending on how deep the water main is, you could have an undetected leaker (i.e. the leak is before the meter) and this could certainly cause the volume issue you describe... water department will appreciate it, too as they have all kinds of hidden leaks and love it when they find one!

Pipe type and age of the house can certainly factor in, but I would check these things first!

Mark
    Attached Images

mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

May 16, 2013, 07:39 PM
    Just a couple more things to check. Whole house filter? Water softener? Even though your outside faucet SHOULD not run through either of these, it doesn't mean that they don't. Just depends on how things were piped. If you are on city water, I suspect the PRV that Mark mentioned. However, I would like to know if you are indeed on city water, or if you are on a private well. The difference between the two is much greater than you might think. Hope we can help you with your problem.

Take care,

Lee.

PS. To all the regulars here, yes I had a great vacation, and yes I would like to go back, but as you know, that isn't going to be an option for quite some time. I thought I knew what stress was. I was wrong. I actually am learning that I may have multiple personalities as the day progresses. Pretty easy going and optimistic in the early hours, less so mid day, even less so afternoon, and need to steer clear of people after the sun goes down, lol. Then finally get home, see my girls, and whaaalaa,, I wake up and do it all again.

Yea, I got to work on that. It all will come with time, right?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 17, 2013, 04:42 AM
    Hi Kurt and welcome to AMHD

Your answer is NOT a reasonable answer to the question posted. As you can see, many of us here have asked some very important questions. Only after we get answers to our questions can we offer up any kind of reasonable solution.

To simply post, "Re plum the hose pipe get a new connection" just isn't reasonable and will only lead to confusion for bestrada... ;)

Mark

PS: Lee, welcome back and I'm glad to hear things are crazy for you... a good sign of things to come!

May 17, 2013, 08:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mygirlsdad77 View Post
    Just a couple more things to check. Whole house filter? Water softener? Even though your outside faucet SHOULD not run through either of these, it doesnt mean that they dont. Just depends on how things were piped. If you are on city water, I suspect the PRV that Mark mentioned. However, I would like to know if you are indeed on city water, or if you are on a private well. The difference between the two is much greater than you might think. Hope we can help you with your problem.

Take care,

Lee.

PS. To all the regulars here, yes I had a great vacation, and yes I would like to go back, but as you know, that isnt gonna be an option for quite some time. I thought I knew what stress was. I was wrong. I actually am learning that I may have multiple personalities as the day progresses. Pretty easy going and optimistic in the early hours, less so mid day, even less so afternoon, and need to steer clear of people after the sun goes down,,lol. Then finally get home, see my girls, and whaaalaa,,,,I wake up and do it all again.

Yea, I gotta work on that. It all will come with time, right?

Thank you Lee for your response - I do have a water softener and I called the City yesterday and they came out and checked on their end and said pressure from Main is all good. They did tell me to change the water softener from "Service" to By-Pass which I did but problem remains, but I will say that is exactly what seems lie to me (a clogged filter) it makes to sense to what I have experienced gradually; so do you think I should have someone come out and check out "Softener" first.

Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    How old is your house? What type of pipes? Galvanized, cop[per or plastic? Back to you,. Tom
    Thanks Tom for your response - I am not sure what type of pipes I have (I'm a woman so I'm not that knowledgeable with plumbing), but I do know that some of my piping I can see is "Copper" my house was build in 1982. I just don't understand why the problem was so gradual (like a clogged line of filter). I do water softener
    Eternal Plumber

May 17, 2013, 09:26 AM
    It sounds like you have copper pipes in your house. Do you have a PRV installed? You'll find it next to where the water comes into your house. Also, purchase a hose bib pressure gage, (see image) and tell me what the house pressure is, Back to you, Tom
    Attached Images

Plumbing Expert

May 17, 2013, 03:50 PM
    If the problem developed "gradually" that means some device / fixture was "gradually" being obstructed / clogged reducing water volume in process. As correctly stated above, it may be related to dirty house water filter...

Was water to your house closed recently ?

Check all valves outside your house - and at the water filtration system - to make sure they are FULLY open.

Back to you. Milo
    Eternal Plumber

May 17, 2013, 05:08 PM
    Sure sounds like a volume problem. If she had galvanized pipes I'd think they were clogged with rust. I wonder why she would need a whole house filter on city water,( High mineral content?) And if she tried by passing it, This is just a guess but if her pipes were clogged with mineral build up it would give her the same situation that she now has. Any thoughts? Tom

May 20, 2013, 06:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Sure sounds like a volume problem. If she had galvanized pipes I'd think they were clogged with rust. I wonder why she would need a whole house filter on city water,( High mineral content?) And if she tried by passing it, This is just a guess but if her pipes were clogged with mineral build up it would give her the same exact situation that she now has. Any thoughts? Tom
    This last answer just fits the profile, so I am assuming I will have to call a plumber out, but at least I have an idea now. Thank you "ALL" for your help, as being a woman trying to keep up with a house can be challenging 'THANKS AGAIN!" been very helpful :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Suddenly no hot or cold water to house but outside hose has excellent pressure [ 1 Answers ]

Suddenly, I have no hot or cold water pressure to any faucet in my house. I have excellent water pressure to my water softener, but no pressure after there. The main valve from the meter and to the house are both open. Any thoughts?

Ground water pressure is too high 150+, but water volume low inside house [ 1 Answers ]

I had home inspection done for short sale house built in 2000. The inspector find the water pressure is too high (water regulator at 150+). But water inside house (kitchen, bathroom) does not have high enough pressure. What's the problem? Is easy to fix? How much may cost to fix this issue? ...

After changing hot water hose turned water on no pressure in my house [ 1 Answers ]

If u let it sit it builds up for aout 2min then it gradule goes away until its just a drip

Have GE refrig; water leaks from smart water filter inside; get water;makes no ice? [ 0 Answers ]

Water does come out of the water dispenser with no problem. The Smart Water filter overflows INSIDE the refrigerator. No ice is being made. Heavy frost accumulates inside freezer from ice maker.

Water will not work in house when ouside hose is on [ 0 Answers ]

When I turn on my ouside back faucet/spigot, the water in the house will not work. Toilets, sinks, etc. When I turn on the front ouside faucet/spigot, the water is fine all around the house. We have great pressure, and no troubles any other time, unless we use this back faucet. What on earth is...

View more questions Search