Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yarddog Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2005, 04:05 PM
    Collections
    I live in Utah. I have a hospital debt that is large enough that I cannot pay what the hospital wants me to pay each month and they have advised me that it will go to a collection agency.

My Question is: "If i make the monthly payments i can afford to the collection agency, can they still touch and garnish my wages"?

All help would be appreciated. Thank You.
    tjr Posts: 70, Reputation: 2

Apr 7, 2005, 05:44 PM
    I'm am not sure about the laws in your state but I'm from Mich. And here we have something called "consciences effort to pay".If you make an effort to pay your debt they cannot shut off your services or order garnishments.
    There are however some benefits to going to collections,the hospital has sold your dept to them for a small fraction of what you actually owe so they are inclined to settle for a half to 2/3's. That is if you can withstand the credit rating reduction.Hope this helps.
    slippydippydo Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2005, 08:35 PM
    A creditor can garnish wages anytime they have a judgment. It doesn't matter if you have an agreement with a collection agency. The underlying judgment provides the power to garnish.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 2, 2005, 07:51 AM
    YardDog:

If your hospital debt is that large, you need to go seek legal help from a bankruptcy right now!

Bankruptcy may be your only option. The new bankruptcy law has not gone into effect yet, so you need to act immediately to explore your options under the old law.
    slippydippydo Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2005, 11:06 AM
    The last post is right, it will only get harder to to file bankruptcy with the new bankruptcy law changes. Bankruptcy credit counseling is one of the biggest hurdles in the new law.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Procedures for US collections [ 4 Answers ]

Can someone let me know if a US collection agency must follow Ontario Canada procedures if trying to collect from a Canadian citizen living in Ontario?

Because collections [ 2 Answers ]

What is the longest that a debt collector has to collect on a loan in BC? What kinds of bearing does the statute of limitations have on this?

Collections confusion [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Sears MasterCard, I was contacted by Citibank saying due to not making payments they need to full amount paid now.. I tried to work something out, but it was full amount or nothing. I sent 200 dollars right away. 2 day's after Citibank called I received another call from a collections co....

Collections [ 1 Answers ]

What is the main difference between associative arrays and nested tables How to choose in pl/sql program Satya:)

View more questions Search