Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    albena Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Nov 25, 2004, 10:04 AM
    Orka following a ship?
    Why could a Killer Whale follow a ship?

A friend of mine told me a story about an orca, following his ship for 16 days during the course through Atlantic up to Gibraltar, where it turned back...
    Only following, like playing, singing for all these nights, a "song" that was more like a baby cry...
    I've heard that heavy ship noise could compromise the performance of some whales, but... to follow a ship for such a long period, in deep waters and for a single animal... is it typical? What the explanation could be?
    Thanks!
    Saker Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2005, 07:11 AM
    Possibly associated it with food. Possibly thought the bottom of the boat was similar to a fellow whale, could explain the singing too. Possibly just down to curiosity, whales can be very inquisitive. Could always ask the whale :)
    ciara Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2005, 02:45 PM
    Orcas are very social mammals and often surface around ships. It is quite unusualy for this orca to be alone as they would normally be found in pods (groups), but this orca seems to be a transiet orca if it was found far off the coast lines... if so not much is known about their behaviour, most studies have been done on resident orcas. The 'baby sound' is just the orcas call/song it may have been separated from its pod for some reason, it mayalso be a juevenile that was simply playing around and the pod may have been in proximity but not visible to the eye... as transient orcas cover a lot of distance... hope this helps!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Passenger Ship Records from the 1800s [ 4 Answers ]

Hello! I'm hoping there is someone out there that can help or at least point me in the right direction. My great, great grandfather came to the Americas from France and I would like to know if there is a way to research the old ship logs. I know many companies kept their ancient logs ;) and...

Cruise Ship Job [ 1 Answers ]

In trying to obtain a Cruise Ship job I was asked to obtain the seamans or seafarers Discharge Book. Could you define what this book is and how do I go about trying to obtain one so that I can get this job.

View more questions Search