Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gofurjo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2005, 08:57 PM
    gluing copper pipe fittings
    comic sans ms5 Hi I'm very new to forums so I don't know if I'm even in the right place so please forgive my mistakes hopefully I'll learn how to do this without losing my sanity or driving anyone crazy. So here is my question I need to know if it is possible to glue copper pipe I don't like playing with fire and there will not be any water used in them or electricity running through either and can they be painted with spray paint? Yes that was two questions and yes my math is that bad. Please any help Thanks in advance jo
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2005, 03:15 AM
    Don't try it. Maybe you've been tempted by the variety of adhesives that bond metals, but don't try it on a copper supply line.

You can, though, get an adapter to go from copper to cpvc - so you can glue the rest of it.

One option would be a fitting like this

To go from the copper to cpvc - and glue it all from there.

I suggest, though, going one step better to avoid having a compression fitting on your line: Have someone solder a male or female adapter on for you so you can screw cpvc into it and go from there... a fitting like one of these:

It'll be downhill from there!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2005, 08:52 AM
    Is this more mechanical than fluids? About 10 years ago in an effort to get away from lead based solder for drinking water, there were epoxies sold for this. Haven't seen any lately. May be an idea that didn't work. Depending what you are doing, I don't see a problem with an epoxy. It still means cleaning the joints good. It may not have the mechanical strength or heat resistance of solder, but depending what you are doing, it may be OK.

And yes, paint it. A paint meant for metal might stick better and chip less, but ordinary latex will work.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2005, 09:20 AM
    I apologize. I missed that small word "not" in the original post - as far as water going through them...

Sometimes my fingers go faster than my eyes and brain :o

Yes, If nothing is going through them under pressure, then any adhesive that is designed for metals - and specifically copper - will do you just fine.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 5, 2005, 07:42 AM
    Ricks answer was exactly what I would have recommended, (especially the PVC male adapter) and Labman elaborated on it. Let me throw my 2 cents in. Yes there is a "cold solder " for copper on the market. It's called "Just For Copper" and to check it out click on,
    http://www.justforcopper.com/ In the future may I suggest that if you have a plumbing question that you post them on the plumbing page. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Copper VS IRON pipe [ 2 Answers ]

?? Which is better for above ground and below ground Copper or Iron pipe?

Plastic pipe brass fittings? [ 6 Answers ]

Can I use brass compression fittings with 15mm plastic pipe? Thanks!

Broke off copper pipe [ 4 Answers ]

I was trying to replace a bathtub faucet and broke off the copper pipe at the wall is there a way to fix the pipe without calling a plummer or soldering?

PVC to Copper Pipe [ 3 Answers ]

I am remodeling a bathroom. The existing drain pipe is 1 1/2" copper tubing. What is the best way to connect a 1 1/2" PVC to 1 1/2" copper tubing?

Gluing copper fittings? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I have read about a product that claims to glue copper fittings together instead of soldering them. Lets just say that this product works as advertised. The product is called just for copper and they have a website www.justforcopper.com. What I am trying to figure out is, is gluing the...

View more questions Search