Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joshualeah Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2007, 10:22 AM
    Charged off account at Law Office
    I had lost my Job and was unable to pay my CC bill. I did contact them, but as so many others they would not lower or stop my interest. The account was charged off in NOv and is now being handled by a Law Firm. The amount is $ 7500 , which at least $ 2500 being interest. My question, how can I stop them to still acrue interest, what is the lowest pay off I can ask for (they told me before orig creditor would only take 90%), which is only 10% then the orig. amount. Any other tips how to pay off the account without them filing a judgement etc. I live in MD by the way. Thanks for your advise.
    rockytopman2 Posts: 15, Reputation: 5

Feb 14, 2007, 11:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joshualeah
    I had lost my Job and was unable to pay my CC bill. I did contact them, but as so many others they would not lower or stop my interest. The account was charged off in NOv and is now being handled by a Law Firm. The amount is $ 7500 , which at least $ 2500 being interest. My question, how can I stop them to still acrue interest, what is the lowest pay off I can ask for (they told me before orig creditor would only take 90%), which is only 10% then the orig. amount. Any other tips how to pay off the account without them filing a judgement etc. I live in MD by the way. Thanks for your advise.
    If you can come up with cash i.e. $3500 offer it to them. If they agree, have them send you a letter stating that account is paid in full as agreed. After you receive the letter you should immediately send the payment in full.. DO NOT GIVE THEM PAYMENT BY GIVING THEM YOUR BANK ACCOUNT NUMBER, They will drain your account. If this does not work, they may file a civil action seeking a judgement. If they do, file an answer with the court either through an attorney or possibly do it yourself denying you owe the amount they are suing you for.. This will stall for a time they getting a judgement and attaching your bank account or your paycheck. Usually they will settle for around 50-65% of what you.
    By stalling, this will give you some time to come with money to settle the debt. AGAIN, DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR BANK ACCOUNT NUMBER AND PERMISSION FOR THEM TO TAKE PAYMENT FROM YOUR ACCOUNT!! I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL AND AM OFFERING THIS AS A POSSIBLE WAY TO SETTLE YOUR DEBT AS AN INDIVIDUAL OPINION. THANKS, HAVE A GREAT DAY!
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2007, 11:36 AM
    ASk for verification of the debt, if they don't respond as required they must not have a valid claim against you. Ask for the original contract proving they have a claim. You can try to settle with them, but they most likely will not.

Beware of the courts in Maryland they will not protect your rights, the black robes are nothing but bankers in my opinion, and I live in Maryland.
    realestateprivlend Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2007, 06:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joshualeah
    After some time has passed you may have success with a settlement. Of course this really depends on the company you are dealing with. Make sure any agreements are in writing. Although it has been sent to a collection agency it will be passed around if they are unable to collect. Good Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank account garnishment law [ 8 Answers ]

Can a creditor place a garnishment on my account and take or hold funds without notifying me first. This has recently happened to my bank account and now there are numerous over draft charges because of this hold and the transactions where prior to the hold is this legal. Thank You, Tbreland

Checking Account Garnishment Law MO. [ 5 Answers ]

I have a single checking account that's is being garnished. 1. No notification that the garnishment was taking place or in affect. 2. My work requires direct deposit. 3. Every dime I make is gone the moment it is deposited. 4. I went to court about a year ago and signed saying I agreed...

Account was charged off [ 27 Answers ]

1 more question, I promise I won't bother anyone again. To summarize, I was served a summons from MBNA from the county sheriff. I had 30 days to respond to a PO Box at the court house. I sent a letter( didn't know better-now since reading should have done it differently). I called the law...

Supposed Law Office will not send any paperwork [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, we were contacted in August 06 regarding a debt owed to a company here in our hometown. This company contacting us is using the heading of a law firm but after looking into them they are nothing but a collection agency. We have called and requested four times now for some type of paperwork...

Law office collecting on old credit card balance [ 3 Answers ]

I owe about $1600 dollars on a credit card, that I opened when I was 18. I paid half my tuition on it, and I could not make the payments. That was 3 years ago (I am 21 now). I have received numerous letters from the credit card company, and then from creditors, and last week I received one that...

View more questions Search