Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dakar11 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

May 7, 2009, 04:26 PM
    Who has the jurisdiction ?
    I live in Alberta, Canada and I got a car from a seller in Ontario, then I sent a $1000 deposit and he sold the car to someone else but never returned money to me.

I sent it with western union (bad idea, I know now) but my local police was actually helpful. They got his IP from Google (since gmail hides it) then got a warrant for his ISP and got his location, name, address etc.

This is where it gets tricky..

This person lives in one city, I sent the money (fake name/address) to another city and money was picked up in a third city (all within 100 miles).

Police in sellers city talked to him but then told me they can't do anything because crime occurred in the city where money was picked up, police there said since seller doesn't live there they can't do anything..

I know that white collar crimes (especially in Canada) rank very low when it comes to priority but who has jurisdiction here?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 7, 2009, 04:36 PM

From what you say, you might just forget about the money you lost. You bought a car sight-unseen and sent money to someone you didn't know. You will never track them down and don't blame the police because they didn't monitor the transaction.

There is nothing wrong with sending money via Western Union; you keep your receipt with the recipient's name on it.

You have been scammed Dakar.

Tick

May 7, 2009, 04:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    From what you say, you might just forget about the money you lost. You bought a car sight-unseen and sent money to someone you didnt know. You will never track them down and dont blame the police because they didnt monitor the transaction.

There is nothing wrong with sending money via Western Union; you keep your receipt with the recipient's name on it.

You have been scammed Dakar.

tick
    My local PD DID find this guy, PD in his town TALKED to him.. so I know who it is but issue is what PD (which one) should do something about it?
    Sunflowers Posts: 218, Reputation: 23

May 7, 2009, 06:01 PM

I don't live in Canada and don't know the laws there but I would say the police where the money was picked up should do something. Just guessing.

May 7, 2009, 06:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
    I don't live in Canada and don't know the laws there but I would say the police where the money was picked up should do something. Just guessing.
    All three PDs keep pointing fingers at each other.. so I figured it can't hurt to ask here.

Just to clarify..

1st PD: city where this person LIVES
    2nd PD: city where I SENT the money to
    3rd PD: city where money was picked up (about 80miles from the city I sent it to)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 8, 2009, 05:06 AM

Please don't guess on the legal board -

Jurisdiction is where the crime (fraud) occurred. That Police Department files the charges (if they are so inclined).

I say you retain an Attorney to make the argument that the fraud occurred where OP lives - that's where the money order originated, that's where the fraud occurred.

May 8, 2009, 06:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Please don't guess on the legal board -

Jurisdiction is where the crime (fraud) occurred. That Police Department files the charges (if they are so inclined).

I say you retain an Attorney to make the argument that the fraud occurred where OP lives - that's where the money order originated, that's where the fraud occurred.
    Local PD where the seller lives claims that fraud did not happen there because money was picked up in a different city almost 80 miles away. They basically told me fraud occurred at the moment money was picked up, not when the seller talked to me and asked me to send a deposit.

Getting an attorney isn't really worth it, it's a $1000 and an attorney will cost me more
    Uber Member

May 8, 2009, 07:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakar11 View Post
    Local PD where the seller lives claims that fraud did not happen there because money was picked up in a different city almost 80 miles away. They basically told me fraud occurred at the moment money was picked up, not when the seller talked to me and asked me to send a deposit.

Getting an attorney isn't really worth it, it's a $1000 and an attorney will cost me more

Quite frankly I don't know why you asked which City has jurisdiction if you've talked to the Police and already have your answer. If the local Police will do nothing and you have to go to where the money was picked up, that's what you have to do and apparently what the Police have said.

I still believe you can make an argument - and keep in mind that the Police are not Attorneys - that fraud was committed where you live. That's where the "contract/agreement" was entered into. I guarantee the seller is going to make an argument (if you file where the money was picked up) that there is no jurisdiction there.

But if the Police won't charge where you live and you don't want to retain an Attorney to make that legal argument, then you have to do what they said and attempt to file charges in the City where the money was picked up.

Again - I don't know why you asked if you already knew - or thought you knew.

May 8, 2009, 07:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Quite frankly I don't know why you asked which City has jurisdiction if you've talked to the Police and already have your answer. If the local Police will do nothing and you have to go to where the money was picked up, that's what you have to do and apparently what the Police have said.

I still believe you can make an argument - and keep in mind that the Police are not Attorneys - that fraud was committed where you live. That's where the "contract/agreement" was entered into. I guarantee the seller is going to make an argument (if you file where the money was picked up) that there is no jurisdiction there.

But if the Police won't charge where you live and you don't want to retain an Attorney to make that legal argument, then you have to do what they said and attempt to file charges in the City where the money was picked up.

Again - I don't know why you asked if you already knew - or thought you knew.
    I asked because all 3 PDs claim they have nothing to do with this, and they can't be all right. So I don't know the answer, I just know that they don't really want to do anything.. so before trying to get one of those 3 PDs to do something I figured I'll ask here which one I should go after..

May 8, 2009, 08:05 AM

Dakar I have seen the police behave like this in my country too. An accident happens at an intersection that also happens to be the property line between a city and a township. Neither the city police or township police want to respond. No one wants to do their jobs anymore type thing. I think you have a right to insist that at least one of the police stations take a police report. If none of them wants to do that, it will probably be like dragging a man who is kicking and screaming to get them to do anything more. I agree that you should not have to hire an attorney since you are the victim, we live and learn... Do they have such things as small claims courts in Canada?

What does WU have to say about this, if anything? Did they get proper ID and signature from the pick-up?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 8, 2009, 08:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakar11 View Post
    I asked because all 3 PDs claim they have nothing to do with this, and they can't be all right.
    Hello D:

If somebody sold drugs in front of the doughnut store where the cops hang out, there MIGHT be an arrest...

But, if somebody is ripped off, it's not their job. No wonder more people than me hate cops.

excon

May 8, 2009, 10:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
    Dakar I have seen the police behave like this in my country too. An accident happens at an intersection that also happens to be the property line between a city and a township. Neither the city police or township police want to respond. No one wants to do their jobs anymore type thing. I think you have a right to insist that at least one of the police stations take a police report. If none of them wants to do that, it will probably be like dragging a man who is kicking and screaming to get them to do anything more. I agree that you should not have to hire an attorney since you are the victim, we live and learn... Do they have such things as small claims courts in Canada?

What does WU have to say about this, if anything? Did they get proper ID and signature from the pick-up?
    Small claims court do exist but I'd have to fly to the sellers city and do it there.

WU didn't do anything, they failed to ask for ID and just paid out the money even though I did NOT send it to be paid without ID.

I don't think that would matter because the guy gave me fake name/address..

May 8, 2009, 10:25 AM

Just to add, WU says (and I can't really blame them) that they did their job, they were there just to send money. The agent who paid it out failed to get ID.

Cops just seem to think this is a civil matter..
    Uber Member

May 8, 2009, 01:31 PM

WU is on the line here, too, if they were to check identification and did not. Maybe the seller had fake ID. Maybe he didn't. That's immaterial now.

I would make a claim with them - they have insurance.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 8, 2009, 04:39 PM

Sunflower, I really do take exception to 'do they have such things as small claims court in Canada'. We have a Supreme Court, small claims courts, Royal Canadian Mounted Police (who are equivalent to your FBI). And major centers with millions of people in population. I have never seen any police department act strangely around an accident scene anywhere near where I live which is southeastern Ontario.

Either the OP is leaving information out, or this whole scenario is not what seems to be.

Where are you from and do you read newspapers ?

Tick

May 8, 2009, 07:22 PM

I'm really sorry tickle. I never meant to offend anyone, though apparently you aren't the only one who takes exception to things I say. I will try to be more sensitive to others sensibilities in the future!
    LEGALWIZARD Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2009, 03:18 AM

In order to be competent to hear a given matter, a court must have jurisdiction over the following:

1. the offence;
    2. the offender; and
    3. the geographical territory.

If the fraud is to be prosecuted as a summary conviction offence, the province will have jurisdiction; if the fraud is to be prosecuted as an indictable offense, then the "superior court of criminal jurisdiction" will have jurisdiction.
    Uber Member

May 15, 2009, 05:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LEGALWIZARD View Post
    In order to be competent to hear a given matter, a court must have jurisdiction over the following:

1. the offence;
    2. the offender; and
    3. the geographical territory.

If the fraud is to be prosecuted as a summary conviction offence, the province will have jurisdiction; if the fraud is to be prosecuted as an indictable offense, then the "superior court of criminal jurisdiction" will have jurisdiction.

Which Province? There are two involved.

I realize this is cut and paste but it doesn't answer the question.

If it IS cut and paste the Board rules require that the source be posted and credited.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who has Jurisdiction? [ 2 Answers ]

If a Parent was originally a resident in Nevada as a minor; has court ordered Child support visitation on a child and physical custody... and has moved to SC ( since becoming an adult) with child and needs to modify Court order which court would have Jurisdiction to do the modification?

Who has jurisdiction ? [ 4 Answers ]

A credit card co. has a judgement against me but it was not filed in the county I reside in? Do they have jurisdiction?

Change jurisdiction from CO to FL [ 2 Answers ]

I moved to Florida with my daughter in 2001. The original child support order is in CO where my daughter was born. How do I go about changing the jurisdiction to the Florida courts?

Change of Jurisdiction [ 1 Answers ]

I have been trying to find out how to change jurisdiction for upcoming court cases. My ex takes me back to court every 2 years to increase my child support payments. I recently moved to FL from GA. The divorce and child support modifications have all been done in GA. Now I want to modify the child...

Law and Jurisdiction [ 5 Answers ]

I have a discussion due on the importance of Law and Jurisdiction. This is what I have so far on law : I am having troube with the Jurisdiction part. I have read in my text about the different courts, and understand them, but I am stuck on the importance of Jurisdiction. Any help would...

View more questions Search