Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beetlejuice55 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2006, 10:35 AM
    Federal or state taxes on inheritance money
    :) Hi, My father recently passed away and left 50,000 dollars to shared by 4 of his children,The lump sum is to go to my brother and he is to distribute it equally,He say's about 33% has to go to federal and state taxes,We live in Ohio,can you tell me if that is true? :eek: Thanks so much...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 15, 2006, 10:42 AM
    Umm no. An estate that small is generally under the inheritance tax threshold. The following is from a wikipedia page on estate tax:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estate_...ross_estate.22

However, the law then provides for a credit against the tentative tax. The credit may be thought of as providing, in effect, for an "exemption equivalent" or exempted value with respect to the value of the property. For a person dying during 2005, an estate with a value less than $1,500,000 would not pay a federal estate tax and most likely would not have to file a federal estate tax return. The applicable exclusion amount increases to $2,000,000 for decedents dying in the years 2006, 2007 and 2008.

So, as you can see, there would be no federal tax on $50K and no need to even file a return.

Was the estate probated? If it was that small, it might not have even gone through probate.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2006, 02:11 PM
    I agree with Scott.

On an estate that small in the USA, no taxes have to be paid on it.

It sounds like your brother is just trying to get more of the pot for himself.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 15, 2006, 04:32 PM
    Not so fast.

Many people believe that they owe income taxes on inheritances, which is not the case.

Your brother may have operated under that mistaken impression.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 15, 2006, 05:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    Not so fast.

Many people believe that they owe income taxes on inheritances, which is not the case.

Your brother may have operated under that mistaken impression.
    That's what I thought, you pay inheritance tax, which in itself is double dipping since the money was taxed when it was earned. To assess an inheritance tax AND then tax it as personal income would really be double dipping.

One other point, if that's what the brother was thinking, then it would be the responsibility of the recipient to put aside the money to cover any income tax liability. It wouldn't be up to the executor. So all the brother has to do is take his calculator, divide by 4 and write the checks.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2006, 06:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    One other point, if that's what the brother was thinking, then it would be the responsibility of the recipient to put aside the money to cover any income tax liability. It wouldn't be up to the executor. So all the brother has to do is take his calculator, divide by 4 and write the checks.
    I agree.

All he has to do is divide it in 4, not collect everybody's taxes.

That is why I think that perhaps he is trying to get some extra money for himself. Just my opinion obviously, I do not know for a fact either way.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 17, 2006, 09:51 AM
    Points taken!

In my opinion, the brother is up to no good, but misinterpretations of tax law is so common, I had to point out the possibility.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inheritance money will I be taxed for living in another state [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I recently inherited some money from a home which my mother sold as part of our inheritance (4) children. The problem is that the property is located in Puerto rico and my mother has just informed me that her lawyer said we will not be able to claim the money until this coming year tax return ...

Wife on H4, need to file 3 state returns and 1 federal [ 1 Answers ]

Hello There, I am on H1B Work Visa since last 3.5 years now and have been filing tax return as single since last 3 years. I got married on Dec 29th 2005 in India and have marriage certificate from india. My spouse is a Malaysian Citizen born and brought up there. She came to USA on H4...

Settlement charges, how to claim on federal taxes? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am not sure how to claim and what I can claim for settlement charges for my house. I was charged... 300 processing fee 345 application fee 1500 broker fee 65 tax service 50 funding fee 595 underwriting fee -38.12 interest 595 insurance premium for the year

Do I file federal taxes if I didn't paid any [ 4 Answers ]

Do I file fereal taxes if I have not paid any I only for 3 months but only for one day a week (71/2 hours a days for 3 months ) I been on LOA for a year . I filed in 2004 (work until I went on Medical leave) I have 2 children so that why they didn't take any federal...

View more questions Search