Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask

View Poll Results: Will you get your shot?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Flu shot?

2 9.09%
  • H1N1 (swine flu) shot?

0 0%
  • Both?

8 36.36%
  • Neither

12 54.55%
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2009, 06:21 PM
    Are you going to get either the seasonal flu shot or the swine flu shot?
    Don't know how to do a "poll" so I'll just ask this

Are you or anyone in your family planning on getting the seasonal flu shot this year?

Are you or anyone in your family planning on getting the series of swine flu shots this year?

Have you or any of your family members ever had a flu shot and got very ill a week or so later with the worst flu you ever had?

My son and I are not planning on getting either flu shots this year or any year. We both had seasonal flu shots about 14 years ago and we both got extremely ill with bad flu symptoms about a week after the shots. We were very ill for about 3 weeks.

How about you? What are you planning on doing this fall?
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2009, 06:26 PM

Twink,
    The poll option is a bit below.. way below " Manage Attachments".
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2009, 06:46 PM
    Flu
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    Don't know how to do a "poll" so I'll just ask this

Are you or anyone in your family planning on getting the seasonal flu shot this year?

Are you or anyone in your family planning on getting the series of swine flu shots this year?

Have you or any of your family members ever had a flu shot and got very ill a week or so later with the worst flu you ever had?

My son and I are not planning on getting either flu shots this year or any year. We both had seasonal flu shots about 14 years ago and we both got extremely ill with bad flu symptoms about a week after the shots. We were very ill for about 3 weeks.

How about you? What are you planning on doing this fall?
    Missed the seasonal flu shot this year but will definitely get the H1N1 shot. I have not experienced any problems with previous flu shots but then I did have a very bad case of flu as a child and it may have given me some immunity. If you have risk factors it is not worth the risk of adding to them.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2009, 06:55 PM
    Out of date
    Did you happen to notice the date on this particular piece of paranoia? 1977. More than thirty years ago. If you want to discuss today's diseases it might be relevant to use recent articles as we have moved on a long way in thirty years
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2009, 05:14 AM

The wife and I always get a flu shot. Not sure if we'll do the swine flu shot or not but probably. And I'm sure your illness after getting the shots was coincidental, you cannot get the flu from a flu shot as the virus in the vaccine is dead. You can get mild symptoms however as a result of the shot. On the other hand the nasal version uses a weakened virus so don't go that route if you're over 50 or have a weakened immune system.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 26, 2009, 02:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    did you happen to notice the date on this particular piece of paranoia? 1977. More than thirty years ago. If you want to discuss today's diseases it might be relevant to use recent articles as we have moved on a long way in thirty years
    I mentioned that date in another thread.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/other-...lu-394190.html

I've already gotten my flu shot.

You know, the flu shot made these days is made from a DEAD virus. You CAN't get sick from it. If you get sick you were already infected prior to getting the shot.

Yes, I am the local flu shot nurse as well as the L&D nurse.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Sep 26, 2009, 03:55 PM

We have never gotten sick from a flu shot and we have been getting it for the last ten years or so.

We both have gotten one this year and plan to get the H1N1 or swine flu shot as soon as it is available.

I have some respiratory problems and don't want to take the chance by not getting it...

Stringer
    Expert

Sep 26, 2009, 05:11 PM
    Years ago the flu shot was made with either a live virus or an attinuated virus, these days it is made with a laboratory produced strain with a dead virus.

I discuss this with virtually every person I give the shot to during October and November.

You can be exposed to the flu virus and it takes 10 or more days to show symptoms. Now, if you have been exposed and during the incubation period you get the shot, of course you are still going to get sick. That has nothing to do with the shot, but rather the prior exposure to the virus.
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2009, 06:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    did you happen to notice the date on this particular piece of paranoia? 1977. More than thirty years ago. If you want to discuss today's diseases it might be relevant to use recent articles as we have moved on a long way in thirty years
    Yes, I am quite aware that this article was from 1977. I can post different articles if you want from this past summer if you are concerned about how "out of date" this article is. In any event, it does contain a lot of information on virus and vaccination and is quite relevant even today.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 26, 2009, 06:25 PM
    I can post different articles if you want from this past summer if you are concerned about how "out of date" this article is.
    Yes, please post them if they are from reputable sources.
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2009, 06:52 PM

Ten Things You're Not Supposed to Know about the Swine Flu Vaccine

former vaccine development scientist speaks out on the dangers and ineffectuality of vaccination

Vactruth.com

How's that for starters for 2009?

Also, whoever made up the poll for me (thank you) you forgot to add an option of NO, I am not taking any flu shots. Could you please add that in for me?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 26, 2009, 07:24 PM
    How's that for starters for 2009?
    Reputable sources, please.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Sep 26, 2009, 07:37 PM

So J what is your opinion on this Swine Flu Shot?
    Expert

Sep 27, 2009, 09:45 AM
    I have edited the poll to include "Neither"

Twinkie... the links you have provided above are NOT from reputable sources.

This would be considered a reputable source

CDC H1N1 Flu | Questions & Answers Novel H1N1 Influenza Vaccine

As well as this one

FDA Approves Vaccines for 2009 H1N1 Influenza Virus

Stringer, my opinion on the H1N1 vaccination has been made very clear. It should be taken by anyone that is in the high risk category, such as pregnant women, young children, people in the health care field where they will be exposed, people with immuno deficiencies, etc.

While I admire and respect Twinkie very much, I think she is attempting to start a panic where the vaccine is concerned. Vaccines have cured many past illnesses such as smallpox and polio just to name two.

I will be giving the vaccine to my children (as youngsters under the age of 25 fall into the high risk group), and will be taking it myself as I work in the medical field with pregnant women who also fall under the high risk group.

Remember people, don't panic... it's JUST a flu. More people die yearly from the regular ole seasonal flu.
    Expert

Sep 27, 2009, 09:50 AM
    Another reliable source

JAMA -- CDC Names H1N1 Vaccine Priority Groups, September 16, 2009, Kuehn 302 (11): 1157
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2009, 09:58 AM

I have voted for "neither"

This is because I am young, healthy and have not had any respiratory problems in the past.
    I see no need for me to get the vaccine as I have also already had 'swine flu' making me partially immune.

I do not see these shots as being dangerous, in fact I think they are excellent for those who have had problems in the past or for the very young or elderly.
    Expert

Sep 27, 2009, 10:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    I have voted for "neither"

This is because I am young, healthy and have not had any respiratory problems in the past.
    I see no need for me to get the vaccine as I have also already had 'swine flu' making me partially immune.

I do not see these shots as being dangerous, infact I think they are excellent for those who have had problems in the past or for the very young or elderly.
    Shazzy, you are correct. You don't need the vaccine. Although my children have had a mild case of the H1N1 virus, my youngest son falls into a high risk category with asthma, he will be getting the shot.

**EDIT** another reputable source

http://www.pandemicflu.gov/
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Sep 27, 2009, 10:05 AM

I'm not getting the shot either. I have never had the flu or the flu shot.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2009, 11:48 AM

I thought so J_9, it's mainly targeted for those who already have respiratory issues (such as your sons asthma) and the eldery.

My grandmother will certainly be getting the flu shot, I shudder to think what would happen to her if she did not get the shot and then contracted H1N1 (she is almost 90)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot Shot [ 2 Answers ]

How Due You Start A Hot Shot Company With The Oil Field Company's And How Due You Bid For There Business?

Hit me with your best shot! [ 12 Answers ]

I am on a 80's music hunt. I have a pretty large selection of 80's music, but I'm sure that there are a few songs out there that I don't have yet. If you have a hot minute, just ramble off some groups, or song titles that I can look up so I can add to my collection of great 80's music. ...

View more questions Search