Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jamesk486 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2010, 06:46 AM
    Effect on sale when debt paid off
    A company pays off a long-term debt in full. Which one of the following statements describes the effect of the sale on the company?

A. Current ratio decreases; total debt to equity ratio increases
    B. Current ratio decreases; total debt to equity ratio decreases
    C. Current ratio increases; total debt to equity ratio decreases

Jul 21, 2010, 06:47 AM

Oops I also forgot the last choice
    D. Current ratio increases; total debt to equity ratio increases

Jul 21, 2010, 04:07 PM

I thought it was B because long debt is paid off so total debt declines and probably cash was used to pay it off so assts would decline.

Since current ratio is Current Assets/Current Liabilities, wouldn't it decline because cash decreased? And debt to equity would decline as well
    Just Looking Posts: 1,610, Reputation: 480
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2010, 10:44 PM

You are right, just as you explained it.
    nids.rs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2010, 04:06 AM

I think the answer should be C.
    Current ratio would increase as the sale is expected to generate cash. It is not mentioned what instruments (cash/stock) were used to pay off long term debt, so increase in current ratio describes the best effect of the sale.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2010, 02:52 AM

nids.rs -- First, there was no "sale." Debt was paid off. And you can only "pay" with cash. You don't "pay" things with stock. You can exchange things, but that would not be called "paying."

Since this was not a sale, there is no cash generated. Cash was paid and goes down, decreasing the numerator.

The correct answer is still B as originally stated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will amount of debt cacelled on 1099c form effect [ 1 Answers ]

Will amount of debt cancelled on 1099c form effect by tax return? How does thi work? I sold home short sell.

Second Mortgage not paid in sale of property [ 3 Answers ]

What happens when a property is sold for less than the amount owed and there is a second mortgage? The spouse's name was not on the 1st loan but the name was on the deed.

Effects on Credit with Debt Not Paid at all VS Debt pain in Settlement [ 2 Answers ]

I lost like 140k in a home foreclosure. The first mortgage bank cancelled my debt and sent me 1099c. The second mortgage bank sold the my loan for $102,500.00 to debt collector. Now Saxon mortgage who currently owns my loan, is giving me an offer to settle with $5000. I can't come up with that...

Schedule C home depreciation and effect on eventual sale of home in the future [ 1 Answers ]

I am debating if I should take depreciation on my personal home onto my federal schedule C. Let me explain, My gut feeling tells me that when I eventually sell my personal home I will be forced to add back all the depreciation I have taken on my schedule C for all those past years as income for...

Tax Effect of 501(c)(7) Sale of Asset [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know what the tax effect of a 501(c)(7) Tax-Exempt Corporation (Social Club for hunting & fishing) selling an asset is? This asset would be a portion of the land that the corporation owns. There are 39 members and most likely the net proceeds from the sale would be distributed...

View more questions Search