Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JWilkins Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2011, 07:04 AM
    Tree Roots in Sewer Line
    How can I kill tree roots in our sewer line? I don't want to use the copper sulfate products or foaming dichlobenil products the hardware store sells. I understand copper is hard for the water treatment plant to remove, and the diclob is a possible carcinogen.
    Someone told me just cutting the roots with Roto Rooter makes them grow back faster.
    Somewhere I read that table salt or rock salt might work. This is a recurring problem for us.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 28, 2011, 08:10 AM
    How long is your sewer line? You might spend less in the long run if you excavate the entire trench and replace the pipe with PVC. If you already have roots in the line, you also have debris, leaks, and possible breaks.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 28, 2011, 08:27 AM

I agree with joy, you are past the point where this would help. The salt would serve to kill the tree, is that what you want? If roots are inside your line you already have a breach so repair or replacemnet is the correct approach. Otherwise you will have "a recurring problem for us"
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 28, 2011, 10:37 AM

Hi Jwilkins...

If you are unsure of the next step I would recommend that you get a drain company out to take a video of your drain line. It can be anywhere from $100 to $300 depending on where you live, but it can show you the extent and the exact location of damage to the drain pipes. Most companies provide a DVD with linear footage included in the video.

Once you know the extent of the damage you can look into digging the area(s) up and replacing the pipe or you may be interested in RELINING the drain line.

Care to discuss more? Let us know, OK?

Mark
    jrk7490 Posts: 5, Reputation: 3

Mar 1, 2011, 03:36 AM
    I'm located in Long Island, NY. I had the same problem. There is a very good chance that the only option you will have is excavate and replace as Joy suggested.
    In my case, the tree was tagged by the county 2 or 3 yrs prior (according to the past owner. I called the county and asked if I can have the tree removed and they said that since the tree was on the street side of the sidewalk that it is county property and there will be a $500 fine if tampered with.
    So I shot back stating that if it was county property than they are responsible for my clogged drainage.
    Here is where it gets good.. The person responded with "No. The county owns the tree and the property owner owns the roots". Hummm... Go figure.
    The outcome/ I excavated and replaced the pipe with cpvc (green) plastic pipe. I was lucky. The pipe was only 2' deep and the pipe was clay pipe so I smacked it with my hammer and removed the clogged section which was 5-6 feet long clogged solid.
    You should just bite the bullet and do it. It's really not complicated.

Good Luck.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 1, 2011, 06:27 AM

It is almost impossible to get rid of roots completely. They always grow back. If the money is tight, you can control the root growth by snaking your main periodically, like 1x every six months or so. Otherwise, and as suggested above, the best way solving your problem is to either replace entire sewer pipe or reline.

Replacing sewer line is all about labor. The actual plumbing is small part of the job. Relining requires special machinery and knowledge and has to be done by trained professional...
    BeavertonSewer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2011, 05:12 PM
    Unexpected sewer replacement problems along with a need to repair can cause an array of inconveniences in the household. What will be first action to take?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 4, 2011, 06:53 PM
    Comment on jrk7490's post
    Funny story about the county

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cut Tree Down? Tree Roots destroying my walkway. [ 7 Answers ]

I have some type of birch tree in the front of my house. The roots have grown up on the lawn and crakes my walk way. The tree is beautiful but is destroying my walkway and the lawn. Can I save it or should I just cut it down. If I replant a tree, what tree can I plant that will avoid damaging my...

How do you kill tree roots after more than 2 years after the tree was cut down? [ 5 Answers ]

About 2 years ago I had a tree removed from my front yard and the stump ground. I was told that this was enough to kill the remaining roots. However, I don't believe that this is true since the driveway is cracking and splitting even more now than when we had the tree. One side of the crack is...

Roots in sewer line [ 2 Answers ]

Tenant says plumbing is backing up; plumber says it is roots in the sewer line. Line has been roto-ed as best as possible. Plumber says we 'may' need to remove the tree and replace the line. 'May'?? What are the names of the product(s) that can be put into the line to kill/destroy the roots? ...

Sewer smell related to tree roots? [ 5 Answers ]

HI , I have a sewer smell coming out of my basement floor drain and just noticed today that it is coming out of my the vent for my downstairs bathroom. About 4 years ago we had to have the main line cleared because it was completely clogged with tree roots. Could the line be clogging again? Or...

Storm Sewer Tree Roots [ 3 Answers ]

I have tree roots that accumulate in a cleanout trap just before the storm drain leaves the house. The hair like ends of these roots appear in the clean out. Occasionally, there is also some sand that deposits there. The combination blocks the discharge, which has caused a back up into the...

View more questions Search