Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nvus Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2005, 01:13 PM
    monitor = no signal need help
    Prepare for a possibly long detailed description of my problem.

OK first off... it seems there's lots of people with this problem but not many solutions (I haven't found anyone that's said "thanks it works now")... I even googled stuff like "no signal from monitor" (which is how I found this site)

Info:
    this is not the first time I've had this problem. Over the summer I had this problem and no one could figure it out so my mom gave it to a friend to fix it... turns out that I had a fried hard drive (what does this have to do with my monitor signal?) so I got a new one... I also noticed when I got my computer back I had a new CPU also :)

anyway... so after about 3 months without my comp I finally get it back and everything is working fine and smooth (plus I got a bigger hard drive)... a couple months later the problem happens again... my monitor randomly lost signal... I reboot my comp and I can only use software mode for games instead of opengl :confused: so I reboot again and it's the same... I reboot in safe mode then I forget what I did then rebooted to normal and its back to normal (phew)... about a month later my monitor loses signal again

This time when I reboot I can only see up to where the windows XP loading screen is.. then the color distorts and I lose signal but now I see nothing at all... I get no signal from the start of the boot

I found some suggestions floating around this site and others... such as bad ram... I remove one of my ram and test it... then put that back in and remove the other... didnt work... I tried reseting my bios by taking out the battery for 15min then putting it back in... no work... I tried reseating my vid card... didnt work also

The one thing I did not try was getting a different vid card.

my friend suggested to unplug my hard drive and try it with that... so I unplugged my hard drive right after I reseat my ATI 9800pro and I forgot to plug in the 4 pin connector... I turn on my comp and OMG THE SOUND OF MY MONITOR GETTING SIGNAL but OH NO "You forgot to plug in the 4 pin connector" so I shut down my comp and plug in the 4 pin connector (hd still unplugged) and no signal again... I plug my hd back and try it... still no signal

so my guess is... is it the vid card that's my probleM? I'm trying to borrow an old vid card from soemone so I can test it out but haven't had any luck finding any... are there any other solutions that I haven't mentioned?

and before anyone says "go into ur bios settings and reset to defaults" or "boot it in safe mode"... I get no signal from the very start of the boot so I see nothing on my monitor

PS: throughout this whole thing I typed up I forgot to mention that fans are running, leds are on, and hard drive is spinning... and also... from when I first got my comp built, I has never made a beep sound when it boots up

sorry for the long post... but I'm desperate and I thought every detail would help... thanks to anyone who took their time to read this whole thing
    _keith_ Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2006, 04:41 AM
    AGP Slot faulty
    Hi,
    I'm far from knowledgeable about Comps. But I thought of one thing that happened to my comp with the same problem. All it was, was that the AGP port was faulty and as soon as the Vid card was put into one of the PCI slots, no more problems with the monitor. Of course I had to replace the Mother Board, but fortuneately it was still under warranty.
    Wondered if you'd tried this.

Jan 1, 2006, 10:03 AM
    Hmm.. I brought my computer over to my cousins house to see if he knew what was wrong... so he hooked it up in his room and it worked... I brought it downstairs to a different room and hooked it up and it didn't work :confused:

Would anything bad happen if I put an agp card into a pci slot?

EDIT: I brought my comp back home and it works again o.O weird... I moved my monitor plug to a different outlet on my surge protector... is it bad to have a humidifier in my room? (bad for comp?)

Jan 6, 2006, 05:00 AM
    ever since my monitor issues went away... I now have another problem... my comp freezes a lot at random times... it freezes every day too... anyone know what a problem could be?
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Jan 13, 2006, 06:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nvus
    would anything bad happen if i put an agp card into a pci slot?
    Yes, doing so could damage your motherboard and/or graphics card. ;)
    Pedro1207 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2006, 10:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by psi42
    Yes, doing so could damage your motherboard and/or graphics card. ;)
    Well, first of all it's not going to fit, and second.. if you do get it to fit, your probably going to either Screw up your video card and/or slot/motherboard.

BTW, how did you get your "No signal to monitor" issue resolved?? A friend of mine is having the exahct same problem... Any ideas would help , Thanks !

Feb 3, 2006, 12:39 PM
    well I figured it was like faulty wiring or something... I just plugged my main monitor plug into a different socket outlet...

A... B
    [::][::][::][::][::]======surge protector

I had it plugged in A and moved it to B :D
    jordan123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2007, 03:35 PM
    well i figured it was like faulty wiring or something...i just plugged my main monitor plug into a different socket outlet....

A....B
    [::][::][::][::][::]======surge protector

i had it plugged in A and moved it to B :D

Plugging the monitor power cord into a different outlet fixed the problem for me. Thanks. :D

-jordan-
    mknautz Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2008, 12:51 PM
    I am having similar issues with no signal. I too am not a tech but learned a lot of what I know trial by error. It could be many things. I was just going to swap out a friends HD (15gig to a 250gig) then I had an new power supply (his was 230 I think and I exchanged it for a 350 watt) well after both out No signal.then I felt so bad I bough him a new system (his old one was 330 mhx 256 ramm and I got him a MB w/cpu for 99.00 AMD 62 X 2
    3800+ 1gig ramm) after getting that together still no signal. Happens to be the power supply I thought was brand new was bad. All I would suggest start from the small and troubleshoot everything. Your CPU also might ne be seated properly. Would unplg the power and first reseat the Vid card. Then slower check the power cables to the MB (the 4 pin and the 20/24 pin disconnect each 1 and see if there look defected. If nothing there then take off your CPU fan and make sure the cpu is seated properly. (make sure you have a tube thermal compound to recover the CPU separating contact from the fan onto the CPU.if no luck from this point seeing you had the MB and CPU replaced look into a new video card. Maybe call a PC store (Milwaukee PC or something like that) to ask them if they could test out your video card if you brought it in. if still no luck up to this point maybe your power supply went out. Even though you have some power it still might be the cause.
    elfkar Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2008, 02:12 PM
    Prepare for a possibly long detailed description of my problem.

ok first off...it seems there's lots of people with this problem but not many solutions (i havent found anyone that's said "thanks it works now")....i even googled stuff like "no signal from monitor" (which is how i found this site)

Info:
    this is not the first time ive had this problem. Over the summer i had this problem and no one could figure it out so my mom gave it to a friend to fix it....turns out that i had a fried hard drive (what does this have to do with my monitor signal?) so i got a new one...i also noticed when i got my computer back i had a new CPU also :)

anyways...so after about 3 months without my comp i finally get it back and everything is working fine and smooth (plus i got a bigger hard drive)....a couple months later the problem happens again...my monitor randomly lost signal...i reboot my comp and i can only use software mode for games instead of opengl :confused: so i reboot again and its the same....i reboot in safe mode then i forget what i did then rebooted to normal and its back to normal (phew).....about a month later my monitor loses signal again

This time when i reboot i can only see up to where the windows XP loading screen is..then the color distorts and i lose signal but now i see nothing at all...i get no signal from the start of the boot

i foudn some suggestions floating around this site and others...such as bad ram...i remove one of my ram and test it...then put that back in and remove the other....didnt work....i tried reseting my bios by taking out the battery for 15min then putting it back in....no work...i tried reseating my vid card...didnt work also

The one thing i did not try was getting a different vid card.

my friend suggested to unplug my hard drive and try it with that...so i unplugged my hard drive right after i reseat my ATI 9800pro and i forgot to plug in the 4 pin connector...i turn on my comp and OMG THE SOUND OF MY MONITOR GETTING SIGNAL but OH NO "You forgot to plug in the 4 pin connector" so i shut down my comp and plug in the 4 pin connector (hd still unplugged) and no signal again....i plug my hd back and try it...still no signal

so my guess is....is it the vid card that's my probleM? im trying to borrow an old vid card from soemone so i can test it out but havent had any luck finding any....are there any other solutions that i havent mentioned?

and before anyone says "go into ur bios settings and reset to defaults" or "boot it in safe mode".....i get no signal from the very start of the boot so i see nothing on my monitor

PS: throughout this whole thing i typed up i forgot to mention that fans are running, leds are on, and hard drive is spinning....and also....from when i first got my comp built, i has never made a beep sound when it boots up

sorry for the long post...but im desperate and i thought every detail would help...thanks to anyone who took their time to read this whole thing
    First your monitor could be a bad cable or monitor going bad. Try it on another computer see if that helps,

Second try a virus scan on your PC because you could have a virus as to why it is freezing all the time, AVG is free and works.
    tonyworship Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2009, 08:51 PM
    I have the same problem. Thought it might be my monitor, took it back to costco and picked up a brand new one (viewsonic) still didn't work. Plugged the veiwsonic in to an analog port into my Laptop and it works... so I figured it could be my video card. So I sent that back to EVGA. Pulled out the HD and placed it in a USB station and downloaded files to my laptop, the HD works fine.

Received the new one today. STILL it doesn't work... Here are my specs

1000w power supply
    Quad core cpu
    EVGA 9800 1G 2X (vid card)
    Rampage motherboard
    4G ram
    600G Hardrive
    Coolermaster CPU fan...

your guess is as good as mine! If anyone has an answer please do tell. If I figure it out, I'll post here.

tony
    tonyworship Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2009, 08:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyworship View Post
    I have the same problem. Thought it might be my monitor, took it back to costco and picked up a brand new one (viewsonic) still didnt work. plugged the veiwsonic in to an analog port into my Laptop and it works.... so i figured it could be my video card. so i sent that back to EVGA. Pulled out the HD and placed it in a USB station and downloaded files to my laptop, the HD works fine.

Received the new one today. STILL it doesn't work... Here are my specs

1000w power supply
    Quad core cpu
    EVGA 9800 1G 2X (vid card)
    Rampage motherboard
    4G ram
    600G Hardrive
    Coolermaster CPU fan....

your guess is as good as mine! if anyone has an answer please do tell. if i figure it out, i'll post here.

tony

When I say I receieved a new one, I meant a new video card!
    ibrahim1976 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2010, 11:41 AM
    The same problem with me and I used a lot of computers and I'm having above mentioned problem with this one. It's obviously Video card.My guess is Video card and Main Board do not support each other. If your Main Board is not very very sophisticated as your Video card, I suppose, that causes the problem.
    neptunelady Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2011, 03:03 AM
    I wanted to put a bigger hard drive in my PC but it wouldn't work. Reinstalled the old one and pretty sure I plugged everything back up correctly and when I turn it on it says no signal on the monitor but I don't think it's booting right either. I'm just not sure. If I could get a detailed diagram for an emachine desktop I could at least look at it and make sure I have all the wires reconnected properly. Any help would be greatly appreciate. Thanks, Neptune Lady

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Monitor no signal [ 11 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a graphics card that doesn't work for my PC,as in there are no beebs,and the monitor stays blank when I turn it on with an amber light, I have a ic7-g motherboard and the graphics card ati radeon 9800 pro doesn't work for my mobo and I dunt know why(it should work,other people...

No Signal to the Monitor [ 1 Answers ]

Our computer decided to take a breakdown, and there is no signal to the monitor we tried another monitor and still nothing the computer lights up the cd drive light flickers, the mother board light is on and the fan works, however when we swapped swapped the hard drive into another computer that...

Monitor - No signal [ 53 Answers ]

Hi all, I'm trying to build my own computer without my husband's help so I can learn stuff along the way. My first obstacle is that the monitor has no signal. The computer I am upgrading is my brother's old one and I played cards on it just last week before he gave it to me. When I brought it home...

No Monitor Signal [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, I recently tried to install a Radeon 9550 256mb AGP, on a compaq. Being the idiot I am I did not uninstall the on-board video first, I inserted the videocard and now I get no signal to the monitor, I have tried removing the Radeon and using the onboard video again, but still no picture. All...

No signal to monitor [ 8 Answers ]

OK like a week ago I unhooked my computer then just awhile ago I rehooked it back up and like the computer starts up and everything its just there is no signal to my moniter and the cd rom drive doesn't open or close and I also can't power the computer down by the power button ihave to turn it off...

View more questions Search