Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    winterissues Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2006, 06:16 AM
    Smells from downstairs bathrooms
    Hi there

I have been reading lots of various postings on bathroom smells but still have not found a solution that works for us. We have 4 bathrooms in our apartment - 2 upstairs and 2 downstairs. There is no problem or smell from the upstairs bathrooms. Downstairs we have been having problems with smells which are getting worse now daily, as the heat is on more and the weather outside is colder. We only marginally noticed the problem in the summer. Both bathrooms are used regularly, and we have done the bleach routine to no avail. I have located the smell as coming from behind the toilet, though I cannot locate it further than that. The smell is very noticeable in the morning and seems to settle during the day. The smell is coming from both bathrooms though I am more able to pinpoint the smell in one.

The apartment is the bottom two levels of a townhouse and we completely gutted it 2 years ago. All the plumbing was replaced, the lines were all flushed as well.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Fraggle422 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2006, 07:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by winterissues
    Hi there

I have been reading lots of various postings on bathroom smells but still have not found a solution that works for us. We have 4 bathrooms in our apartment - 2 upstairs and 2 downstairs. There is no problem or smell from the upstairs bathrooms. Downstairs we have been having problems with smells which are getting worse now daily, as the heat is on more and the weather outside is colder. we only marginally noticed the problem in the summer. Both bathrooms are used regularly, and we have done the bleach routine to no avail. I have located the smell as coming from behind the toilet, though I cannot locate it further than that. The smell is very noticeable in the morning and seems to settle during the day. the smell is coming from both bathrooms though i am more able to pinpoint the smell in one.

The apartment is the bottom two levels of a townhouse and we completely gutted it 2 years ago. all the plumbing was replaced, the lines were all flushed as well.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Hi

As a matter of interest, how far apart are the bathrooms?

Nov 10, 2006, 07:12 AM
    Quite close - maybe 10 ft apart.

Nov 10, 2006, 07:20 AM
    Its only a guess based on something that happened to me, but could you have a leak somewhere where the smell could get into both bathrooms, maybe in the hot side of your central heating system? I hope that's not the problem, it cost me dearly to get mine fixed!:eek:

Nov 13, 2006, 07:10 AM
    Thanks for your idea - plumbers and builder in today and it doesn't seem to be a heating issue, but is still unresolved!

Nov 13, 2006, 10:32 AM
    As a matter of interest, what did they find?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Two Bathrooms [ 2 Answers ]

I am about to install a second bathroom and want two showers to work at the same time. I am replacing all plumbing but there is only 15mm feed to flat. What type of boiler etc is needed to run two showers and washing machine at the same time?

No heat downstairs [ 4 Answers ]

We have just turned the heat on for the season. Our upstairs heat is working fine, but there is no heat downstairs even though the thermostat says the heat is on. The fan works when turned on but only blows cold air. What can I do as someone who doesn't know anything about heating before I...

Water coming into downstairs [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I don't know whether this is a plumbing question, or general home improvement. We just bought a raised ranch (built in 1962) in upstate New York. The downstairs has a garage two rooms and a bath. So basically, the basement is also living space. Well today we had a significant amount of...

Accusation of downstairs tenant [ 5 Answers ]

I am from Delaware County, PA and just began my 3rd month of a 12 month lease agreement, the property is for sale. The tenant downstairs has lived here for 9 years and for the past 4 - 6 weeks has been making ridiculous claims to the landlord about my "unreasonable" everyday lifestyles(excessive...

Help, no heat downstairs... [ 11 Answers ]

We have a twin zone system (seperate ground and first floor heating) the 1st floor will heat up to 20c+ with no problem, but the ground floor will not go over 15c?? The room stat on the ground floor is OK. The motorised valve for the ground floor opens/closes OK Boiler was replaced last...

View more questions Search