Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BUFFYNKIDS Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2008, 09:13 PM
    Dog's owner passed away 3 weeks ago
    My father-in-law passed away 3 weeks ago. His 10 year old lab is not doing well. She won't eat and drinks little. I have taken her to the vet and her blood work is normal. Any suggestions? She walks in circles, seems very week and dizzy.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 4, 2008, 09:22 PM

Animals mourn too. I betcha that's what's happening here. How much socialization does she get? Do you have an unwashed tee shirt worn by your fil or other piece of clothing or pillow or blanket (that would still have his smell on it) that the lab can curl up with? Lying down with and hugging the lab might be comforting to her too.

She knows he's gone and doesn't know he won't be back. Remember, even if an owner leaves for five minutes, his dog will greet him like he's been gone for weeks, so you can begin to understand your fil's lab's confusion and sorrow and even depression.

I hope labman sees this, or another dog owner. I'm a cat person. Cats get mournful and confused when a cat buddy dies, but I think dogs have more emotional investment in their owner and pack than cats do.
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Oct 5, 2008, 02:38 AM

Do you have anything that used to belong to the owner this would be a great comfort as he will be able to get his previous owners scent on it. And try to keep everything the same for him, his type of food and the same toys and bed/blanket. And the best thing is to not feel bad for him he can then sense it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Changing an adult dog's name [ 9 Answers ]

I am considering adopting a 2 year old dog with the name of "Baby Girl". This is a problematic name for me, because I currently have two female cats, and "baby girl" gets used a lot as a general term of affection in the household. Plus, I'm just not sure I want to be standing in dog park calling...

Dog's afraid to go out in night [ 3 Answers ]

My 4 1/2 yr old Shih-tzu has started running right back into the house or not even going out the door to go potty after dark. It seems to have started when the neighbors kept shooting fireworks at irregular times at night for almost 2 weeks after July 4th. He HAS been afraid of thunder for years;...

Dog's teeth [ 1 Answers ]

HI My 3 year old Mini Schnauzer had 11 teeth taken out on 03-05-08. She is eating OK ,I add hot water to her dry food then mush it up. But my big problen iss I can't get her to drink any water. She is not a very big dog only 16 lbs. I have always tried to give her the best of care and I am always...

Do dog's noses bend? [ 1 Answers ]

Odd question, but sometimes when I look at Trink when she is sniffing things, her nose looks crooked. And when I was out at a dog event yesterday, one of the other greyhound owners said that her dog's nose could bend to almost 90 degrees when sniffing. "The nose that smells around corners", as...

My dog's behaviour [ 4 Answers ]

I noticed a strange behaviour in my dog, late this evening. He is 7 years of age and is a spitz dog. Today I suddenly found him restless about half an hour after he took his evening meal. He was shivvering in some kind of fear and was trying to hide himself at some corner. Or tried to enetr toilet...

View more questions Search