Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hitescape Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2010, 02:08 PM
    Changing the phone number programmed into a DSC 1832 alarm
    I have a DSC 1832 alarm with a 5500 keypad. This is connected to my home phone to make an outgoing call to my and my wife's cell phone if the alarm is triggered. This has worked for the last 2 years but the phone company changed my cell phone number.

The company that installed the alarm is no longer in business and I need help reprogramming the phone number into the alarm.

I found a copy of the Installers Technical manual but, unfortunately, it is a bit too technical for me. I can make normal changes like the time, add / delete users etc.

If someone could give me the keystrokes to use change the numbers I and the person who now has my old cell phone number will be very grateful.

Thanks,

Dave
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2010, 05:48 AM

Can you get into installer programming?
    This is *8CODE,(on the 1832, it may even be 6 digits), if this works, hit ## to exit.
    If you don't have an Alpha Keypad, it can be extremely difficult to interpret the LED's for data.
    Let me know if you can get into programming,and if you have an Alpha Keypad, I will dig up the manual later and find the Location.

Jul 16, 2010, 01:20 PM

Thankfully the Installer code is still set to the default and I am able to access the system.

BTW, I love your hanglider picture. It reminds me of when I learned how to do that some 35 years ago...
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2010, 05:42 PM

Look in Location 301(1st number) and 302(2nd number).
    Also check out Mosquitoamerica.com in reference to the Foot Launched Aircfaft, Basically a powered Hang Glider that you can take off and land on level ground.
    I looked back and saw you have the 5500(alpha keypad)
    Good Luck.

Jul 16, 2010, 07:10 PM

I'm sorry to ask but how exactly do I check those locations? I don't yet understand how to query or change a memory location. Could you give a keypad sequence like you did for the installers code?

Those are really cool! It is a far cry from the leap of faith I took with the rented Wills Brothers regalo glider way back when...

WOW! I just looked and they still sell Wills Wing gliders (but not in Costa Rica). This has been a real education.

Many thanks,

Dave
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2010, 08:03 PM

After you have entered installer code, it will ask for section, and you will enter 301.
    Write down All letters/Digits on both lines, should you mess up you know where to set 301 back to. Right/left button moves cursor.
    Pressing the * key before a number and it will toggle it to hex data. 1=a, 2=b, 3=c and so on.
    Leave all data exactly as you found, just change the phone number.
    At any time you can hit ## to exit programming.
    Hitting # takes you back a step.
    just mess around with location 301 to get comfortable with what is going on, then check out location 001, this is a 16 digit string, 2 digits for the first 8 zones. Look at zone descriptions, you can change or add.
    You may want to look at delay and bell cutoff times?

Jul 17, 2010, 11:46 AM

When I enter the Installer's code the red alarm light comes on and I have a blinking keypad with a hand icon. When I enter 301 it shows numbers 1 and 3 across the top row. The left and right arrows change the numbers to include 2 or exclude 3. When I look at 302 the numbers 1,2,3 and 4 appear. Nowhere do I see the telephone numbers that the alarm is calling.

So I'm stuck. :(
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2010, 04:48 PM

Let me double check the Alpha Keypad being 5500, was sure it was the 5500, can you verify yours, if it is the led or icon keypad, you will have to interpret the led's or segments, I like to install and alpha key pad for accuracy on all installations, they have 2 other keypads, I have all 3 in my house.

Alpha Keypad- Pone number and data will look like a phone number, has an event log of the last 128 events on the PC 5010, which is basically the Newer 1832, You can give zone custom names, Autum's Room, Rembrant or whatever. The even log is good to see when a user armed and disarmed. Maid dissarmed at 9 oclock and rearmed at 10 oclock, she was NOT there for 4 hours that day.

Icon Keypad-- Each zone is a number, no event log, BUT It has 4 different chime sounds the others don't.
    My front door has a chime sound, the garage door has another, the shed another, My Van is the Alarm tone, If my Van is disturbed in the middle of the night, it chimes inside because of the wireless door/window transmitter in my Van(have to disable supervision as it show a trouble when gone).

Last is the LED, I have that in the bedroom(32 zones/LED's, 4 rows of 8), When a zone is violated, you can see where it occurred, plus I can hear the 4 different sounds of Entry Points sounds from the office with a closed door.

The Alpha is at the entry.

Jul 18, 2010, 02:18 PM

Here is a link to the keypad description: DSC PowerSeries 64-Zone LCD Full-Message Keypad PK5500 - PK5500

Hope this helps.

Dave
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2010, 04:13 PM

Look in the Manual in Section 3/Programming. That will tell you how to interpret those numbers, The Site does not allow me to copy.
    Here they are:

O= No Zones Lit
    1=#1 lit
    2=#2 lit
    3=#1,#2 lit
    4 is 3 lit
    5 is 1 and 3 lit
    6 is 2 and 3 lit
    7 is 1,2, and 3
    8 is 4 lit
    9 is 1 and 4 lit
    A is 2 and 4
    B is 1,2 and 4
    C is 3 and 4
    D is 1,3, and 4
    E is 2, 3 and 4
    F is 1,2,3 and 4 lit.
    As you see, it is just binary counting, and to get the letters, you need to press * to toggle Hex Data(letters A-F)
    *1 is A, *2 is B, and so on.

Jul 18, 2010, 06:45 PM

Thanks. I will give it another try.
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2010, 06:54 PM

That is a nice panel, they also make an nice Automation Board, that goes in that panel.
    You need to go to location 301 and 302, step through and decypher, and see if you recoginize the numbers(old phone numbers).
    skiiers Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2011, 11:18 PM
    Enter *8 followed by your installer code (alarm light will go red)
    Enter 301 (nothing will happen)
    Enter the area code and phone number
    Enter # twice (once to exit 301 and once to exit programming mode)
    Panel should return to green "ready"

All done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dsc alarm pc5010 I stopped monitoring, can I still use alarm? I keep getting a troubl [ 1 Answers ]

I stopped having my dsc alarm PC5010 monitored. Can I use the audible only? I keep getting a trouble, clock problem and it won't let me set it.

Changing installer code on a dsc 1832 alarm system [ 2 Answers ]

How do you change the installer code on a DSC 1832 alarm

Trouble with DSC 1832 programming [ 3 Answers ]

Recently I have installed dsc 1832 security system . So far I have done good. But I can not solve my smoke detector problem . Smoke detector is FSA-410BT 4-wire . I have run cat5 wire for this connection . The reason is simply - I had left over cat5 . I have used Bro for 12v+ and BLU for GND....

Dsc 1832 resistor value [ 1 Answers ]

I have a DCS 1832 and I am getting intermitting open. The wires at the control panel are tightly secured. It could be a resistor problem and I am unsure of to what the resitor value should be for the zones. Can you help?

Connecting DSC power 1832 alarm to phone line [ 4 Answers ]

Hello - I have a DSC power series 1832 alarm system that I want to connect to a central monitoring station. I have connected it to the phne line via a RJ31X telephone jack and cord set. I set up the system to monitor the phone line such that it should report an error when the phone line is no...

View more questions Search