GagaForArt Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2016, 07:53 PM
    How Much Is My 1986 Dining Table Worth?
    ----delete----
    Attached Images

smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2016, 08:14 PM
    It was made in 1986... its not an antique. I have boots older than that I bought new.

Its only worth what someone is willing to pay. Try to get more and nobody will buy it. And used is always worth less than new. Usually significantly less.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2016, 08:55 PM
    1986? Antique? 1886 maybe. I'm really antique, 1941!! What you paid and today's worth is not relative. It's worth what someone will pay. Post a picture, maybe someone will have a better idea.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 23, 2016, 12:01 AM
    1986 isn't antique. 1886 would be antique. 1986 is just out of style, old fashioned, and worthless. You'd need to hold on to it for another 75 years before it would be considered antique, and not all old items are worth something just because they're old. Dining sets, unless they're made by a famous wood worker, or made in a particular style in solid wood with hand carving, are very hard to sell even as antiques. A 1986 dining table, with chairs, solid wood, in good shape, you'll be lucky to get $200 for it. Very lucky.

What's it made of? If it's solid wood, what kind of wood? Is it in good shape? How many does it seat? How many chairs included?

A picture would be great.

But, 1986, not an antique, and not worth much. If it's solid teak or oak and in good shape you may be able to get a few hundred dollars for it, if you're lucky. Very lucky. It would depend on finding a sucker for a buyer. But most dining sets from the 1980's were particle board with veneer. Worthless. I could get a warehouse full of these sets for free in a month, and that's ones made of solid wood. Almost impossible to even give away, because no one wants them.

You won't make any money off of this.

Nov 23, 2016, 12:50 PM
    I say antique because it's old, that's a fact. I'm not here to debate that, just wanting a price OK?

There's the image :) I thought I had uploaded when I posted this but here it is.

Nov 23, 2016, 01:02 PM
    1980's items are becoming more sought after, especially toys. They're not all worthless, though a lot of it is junk.

Oh also, so people don't get the impression I paid $1500 and want to get the money back for it, I didn't, and don't. I just want a new table set and know this has some value. I just want a street price.

How do you delete this post, this is a waste of time, if you can.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 23, 2016, 01:17 PM
    I checked eBay but couldn't pull up something similar. Are there any antique & collectible dealers in your area? Estate sales people? Check newspapers' classified ads for them.

Another thought. Take the photo to your public library's reference desk. They may have on shelf (or can get through interlibrary loan) a book on various decades' furniture. This way you can identify the maker and maybe even the year it was first produced. That will help you figure out a price.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 23, 2016, 05:19 PM
    It's a very nice set, and looks to be in good condition.

Do you have a local site like Kijiji where you live? Much easier to sell things locally than it would be to sell it on Ebay where it's international and most people will pass by large items because the price to ship would be astronomical.

Try asking for $500, who knows, maybe you'll get it.

I'm sorry that you felt discouraged because of the honest replies you got. I deal with furniture all the time, am always looking for a great deal on 80's stuff and older. Recently got a teak couch from the 60's for free on Kijiji. Sadly the fact is that unless it's an antique, or brand new, it's really not worth a lot. :(

It's a very nice set, so I hope you get something for it, but don't expect too much.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Antique dining table [ 1 Answers ]

I have a mahogony two pedistal dining table that was made from memphis furniture co. My grandfather came with it into the marriage of my grandmother which was the later forties. There is a series of numbers and letters under one of the chair cushion bottom's that is 2302 C6. I don't know what tbis...

Fine dining table service? [ 1 Answers ]

Which side does one clear from and which side does one serve from?

I have a dining room table that needs refurbished... Any help? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a dining room table that is 40 years or more old. I absolutely love it and would love to get it refurbished. I accidentally broke two of the legs off. I also have a old china hutch that's about the same age, and it needs refurbished as well. I think it was handmade. Does anyone know...

Is my dining table antique? [ 5 Answers ]

I have an old dining table that has this etched on its underside: VIIII. I would like to know if it is antique or not. Thanks in advance for your help.

Dining table surface [ 2 Answers ]

I have a formal dining room wood table with a cherry finish. Something seems to have etched itself into the finish, either a cleaning product my wife used or something else. There are streaks that look like the table was washed with a dirty cloth. Without completely stripping or sanding this...

View more questions Search