Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kevin Lippy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2008, 04:59 PM
    Nikon D40 depth of field lost on close ups
    I have a Nikon D40 with a Nikor 18 -55 mm lens. When I try to shoot close up shots of small products for ads (beer bottles, ipods,. ) I can't get a focus on the entire subject. Is the short depth of field due to user error or do I need to get a different lens?[email protected]
    jcdill Posts: 249, Reputation: 24

Oct 27, 2008, 06:47 PM

One problem might be the place you are choosing to focus. The Depth of Field is found both in front and behind your "focus" point. It's easy in product photography to focus on the closest point of the item, which wastes some of the DoF capability of your lens because you have area "in focus" that is in front of the object you are shooting.

Also, you need to shoot with the smallest aperture available, which means you need either a lot of light, or long exposures.

You may find this online DoF calculator helpful in helping you determine the optimum place to focus, and to place your items. Using your Nikor 18 -55 mm lens at f/22 with your lens focused at a point 2 feet from your lens, you get:
    Depth of field
    Near limit 1.85 ft
    Far limit 2.18 ft
    Total 0.33 ft

If you stop down to f/32, you get:
    Depth of field
    Near limit 1.79 ft
    Far limit 2.27 ft
    Total 0.48 ft

Hope this helps!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nikon & Canon [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I have heard that you can purchase an adapter to make a Nikon Lens fit a Cannon Camera. Is this true? If so where?? I have a Canon S5 and a Nikon SE-50mm lens and filter. Thanks! Cory

I think I just lost the last of my close friends [ 4 Answers ]

ugh. I am SOOOOOOOO depressed. I did something stupid, and it probably cost me a LOT more than I was prepared to lose. Its kind of a complicated story, so I will be using the following names to represent the characters. best friend = my best friend girlfriend = HIS girlfriend friend = my...

Nikon d200 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new here. I am now in the point in wich I have to get a more professional Camera. I'm thinking of the nikon d 200. Does anyone know just how professional It is?

Gas line & dryer vent pipe - how close is too close? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm rerouting the gas dryer vent piping so that it will inside the adjoining stud wall. At the top of the wall the vertical exhaust pipe will be within an inch or two of the horizontal running copper gas supply line. Question - is there a minimum distance that the metal dryer exhaust pipe must...

Nikon FM10 Filter [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a nikon FM10 and I want to buy a polarizing filter.. which one should I use?

View more questions Search