Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smiletanya Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2008, 08:46 AM
    Can I register my birth in Londonif I am a Goan.
    Hi,

I was in Goa.. and an Indian citizen.My Parents were born during the Portuguese rule and hence they have registered their birth and marriage under the Portuguese nationality.
    I had a query for this...

Presently I am in the UK on a student Viza and since I will be here for a while now , wanted to know if I can register my birth here in the UK without going to Goa. Is this possible?

Your reply would be really appreciated.

Regards,
    Tanya Mascarenhas
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Aug 3, 2008, 11:56 AM
    The Portuguese consulate have the most accurate answer for you.

In general, even your parents obtain citizenship from one country BUT did not live in that country, citizenship may not be inherited to the children. Many countries require citizenship acquired only after living in that country for a certain period, except in case you were born there.
    Larissa Bona Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2008, 11:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smiletanya View Post
    Hi,

I was in Goa..and an Indian citizen.My Parents were born during the Portuguese rule and hence they have registered their birth and marriage under the Portuguese nationality.
    I had a query for this...

Presently I am in the UK on a student Viza and since I will be here for a while now , wanted to know if I can register my birth here in the UK without going to Goa. Is this possible?

Your reply would be really appreciated.

Regards,
    Tanya Mascarenhas
    Dear Tanya,

Taking into account that both your parents are Portuguese citizens (they have registered their birth) and have registered their marriage in Portugal, I must inform you that you are eligible to apply for the Portuguese citizenship as child of Portuguese citizens.

You must submit your application at the CRCs in Portugal (alone or with the help of a Portuguese lawyer) or at the Portuguese Consulate of the area of your residence.

The issue is that you must have all your documents legalised by the Portuguese Consulate in Goa first and then you can submit them in London.

I hope I have helped.

>Personal contact information REMOVED<
    Anthony Peter Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2008, 11:34 PM

Hi Tanya,

Any luck with your question. I am from Goa and perhaps I could guide you..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to register? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I'm new here from Philippines, just want to ask how to register to get a personal registration number - European state work force office?

I know someone who failed to register ,he is supposed to register quarterly he went 5 [ 6 Answers ]

I know someone who failed to register ,he is supposed to register quarterly he went 5 months without registering. Does anyone know what will happen?he's in detroit Michigan.The sex offender registry.

Can a minor birth mother's parents relinquish rights to the birth father? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, Here's the situation: the soon-to-be birth mother is 16, still living with her parents and attending school. The birth father is 18, still lives with his parents but has a job and is generally responsible. The parents of the birth mother want her to put the baby up for adoption and move on...

Documentation to acquire portuguese passport for people of goan origina [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have read a lot about what is required in order for a goan to get a portuguese passport. I know that the first step is to have one of the parents birth, marriage and death certificates registed in the conservatoria in portugal. The one piece of documentation that stumps me is "certificate...

View more questions Search