Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    privateproperty Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2008, 12:03 PM
    Private property. Whose at fault?
    On Friday, May 9 I drove to work and left my car in their parking lot (private property). When I left work I entered my car from the front so I did not notice the back of the car and then drove directly home. I got out of the car and walked past my car at home and immediately noticed that someone had hit me. My bumper was dented and had popped out on the left side. My office has an agreement with a funeral home which resides across the street from us. When there are funerals, people park along our street and in some cases pull into our parking lot. I was either hit by a fellow employee or a funeral home patron. No note was left so I do not know who hit me. There are no private property signs posted. Do I have any rights in this situation, or am I on my own?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 12, 2008, 12:10 PM
    Report it to your insurance company, they will pay the repair less the deductible. You can then see if your company will cover the deductible.
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2008, 12:10 PM
    I think the only thing you can do is contact your insurance agent and see what they say. Tell them it was a hit and run.
    There really is no way of knowing who hit you - and from where they came from.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 12, 2008, 12:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by privateproperty
    On Friday, May 9 I drove to work and left my car in their parking lot (private property). When I left work I entered my car from the front so I did not notice the back of the car and then drove directly home. I got out of the car and walked past my car at home and immediately noticed that someone had hit me. My bumper was dented and had popped out on the left side. My office has an agreement with a funeral home which resides across the street from us. When there are funerals, people park along our street and in some cases pull into our parking lot. I was either hit by a fellow employee or a funeral home patron. No note was left so I do not know who hit me. There are no private property signs posted. Do I have any rights in this situation, or am I on my own?

Your only right is the right to claim this on your own insurance. Are you asking about a lawsuit (or something of that nature) against the funeral home or your employer? No, because you don't know who hit you and your only recourse is against the actual driver of the other vehicle.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 12, 2008, 03:02 PM
    On your own, the property owner is not liable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accident on Private Property [ 6 Answers ]

I was involved in a car accident when I was visiting another persons house. Someone backed out of the garage and hit my car that was parked in the drive. I was on there property so they are telllin me its my fault. We didn't contact the police because I thought we were all friends and we could...

No fault accident on private property. What happens now? [ 5 Answers ]

OK, last night, I was entering a parking lot, and the entrance has an interior cross-street with stop signs. There was no stop sign from my direction. It was raining HARD. There was a person on the cross street on my left side, and she didn't stop at the stop sign. I hydroplaned and T-boned...

Accident on private property [ 2 Answers ]

If my car was backed into on private property, do I have to report it to the cops? Or can we exchange insurance information and handle it with out the cops?

Private Property Accident [ 10 Answers ]

I recently rear ended a car in a parking lot. It was private property and an officer was called, filled out a report, but said that the report would not be turned in to the DMV and no tickets were issued. He said he just wrote the report to speed up the process of switching information and whether...

No insurance on private property. [ 1 Answers ]

I rented a moving truck, at time of rental I purchased insurance through the rental agency. I was involved in an accident at a gas station in Ohio. I was making a right turn out of the station and I had my right turn signal on. This guy pulls up on my right side, in my blind spot. I did not see...

View more questions Search