Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dadone Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2008, 06:34 PM
    Condenser fan quits
    My condersor fan was trying to turn very slow. I removed it and oiled it and it freed up. Only ran 30 min then quit. Compressor still running.replaced fan motor it had a 1/3 hp installed a 1/4 same amps and rpms. Would run 50 min then quit. Replaced capacitor it was a 40/7.5 it ran but no cool air. After 40 min air got cool all the sudden and heat finnally came from the condesor. Ran 10 min then the condenser fan quit. Comp still ran. I don't know what is wrong. Help please. Thanks
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2008, 07:19 PM
    Are you possitive you wired it up correctly,, the 2 hot wires and the brown wires to the capicitor,, most new motors have 2 capicitor wires br. And br/wh stripe
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 28, 2008, 08:00 PM
    replaced fan motor it had a 1/3 hp installed a 1/4 same

If it had a 1/3 HP motor and you replaced it with a 1/4 that could be your problem. Also you need to make sure the capacitor matches the new motor AND always replace the capacitor when changing motors.
    Is the motor turning in the correct rotation?

Jul 28, 2008, 08:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wmproop
    are you possitive you wired it up correctly ,,,the 2 hot wires and the brown wires to the capicitor,,,,,,,,most new motors have 2 capicitor wires br. and br/wh stripe
    The wires on the new motor where the same as the old one.

Jul 28, 2008, 08:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000
    replaced fan motor it had a 1/3 hp installed a 1/4 same

If it had a 1/3 HP motor and you replaced it with a 1/4 that could be your problem. Also you need to make sure the capacitor matches the new motor AND always replace the capacitor when changing motors.
    Is the motor turning in the correct rotation?

The motor is the correct rotation. I need to check the capacitor to the motor yet. It is night now and cooler outside. The fan is staying on but the air inside doesn't stay cool. When it quit cooling I turned it off and ran the blower fan only awhile then turned it back on and it cooled. The system is 12 years old. Thanks

Jul 28, 2008, 09:24 PM
    Might be getting frost up on the coil?

Jul 28, 2008, 09:33 PM
    Might be getting frost up on the coil?
    How can I tell if it is doing that? Thanks
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2008, 09:40 PM
    If coil is frosted probably the 3/4 inch copper line/tubing going into it will be frosted also

Jul 29, 2008, 07:25 AM
    if coil is frosted probably the 3/4 inch copper line/tubing going into it will be frosted also
    I ckecked and it is not frosting up. It ran good all night always cool. This morning as the day was getting hotter outside the condenser fan quit the compressor was still running. Any ideas? Thanks
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2008, 07:37 AM
    Notice next time, when it quits,does it get tight,can you take a small thin stick through the grill and turn it with ease,try spinning it ,is it free or does it seem to have some drag,, if its tight it may have a bearing that is seizing up when it gets hot,, then loosens up when cools down,, if this is what you are seeing you need to replace the motor,be sure you buy a capiciter that matches the motor,

Jul 29, 2008, 09:43 AM
    notice next time,,when it quits,does it get tight,can you take a small thin stick thru the grill and turn it with ease,try spinning it ,is it free or does it seem to have some drag,,,,,,,if its tight it may have a bearing that is siezing up when it gets hot,,,,,,,then loosens up when cools down,,,,if this is what you are seeing you need to replace the motor,be sure you buy a capiciter that matches the motor,,
    I think I might have found the problem. They gave me the wrong capacitor they gave me a 7.5x370 and my old one was 7.5x440 would this be the problem? Thanks
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2008, 10:06 AM
    sorry,, the 370//////440 shouldn`t make any difference,should still work,as long as its 7.5x220 or higher,, the 370 means it can withstand voltage up to that point,, and you only have 220V at your home,,

Jul 29, 2008, 12:43 PM
    sorry,,,the 370//////440 shouldn`t make any differance,should still work,as long as its 7.5x220 or higher,,,,,,,,,the 370 means it can withstand voltage up to that point,,,,,and you only have 220V at your home,,,
    Could the contactor be getting hot and turning off the condersor fan?

Jul 29, 2008, 03:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dadone
    Could the contactor be getting hot and turning off the condersor fan?
    Or could having a 1/4 hp instead of the factory 1/3 hp be the problem?

Jul 29, 2008, 04:38 PM
    Many posts back I asked you that question and you never gave a proper answer except to say something about the wiring.

((replaced fan motor it had a 1/3 hp installed a 1/4 same )))

Here is my old post to you.

Your incorrect motor choice has probably caused this whole problem.

This is a prime example of why you should have called a professional to start with. They would have done a ON SITE inspection and repair and not only would your unit be running but in the long run it would have been cheaper since you will not be able to return the incorrect motor once mounted and used. This is the general rule. NO return on electric parts.

Aug 3, 2008, 02:59 PM
    Many posts back I asked you that question and you never gave a proper answer except to say something about the wiring.

((replaced fan motor it had a 1/3 hp installed a 1/4 same )))

Here is my old post to you.

Your incorrect motor choice has probably caused this whole problem.

This is a prime example of why you should have called a professional to start with. They would have done a ON SITE inspection and repair and not only would your unit be running but in the long run it would have been cheaper since you will not be able to return the incorrect motor once mounted and used. This is the general rule. NO return on electric parts.

Why do we need this site if you are suppost to call the professional to start with? I used this site because I couldn't afford the professional. The heat and air supply took back the 1/4 motor because they said it would work. Ordered a 1/3 hp motor and it works now. Thanks

Aug 3, 2008, 03:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dadone
    Why do we need this site if you are suppost to call the professional to start with? I used this site because I couldnt afford the professional. The heat and air supply took back the 1/4 motor because they said it would work. ordered a 1/3 hp motor and it works now. Thanks

Your cure was just what I said it would be in the beginning of this set of posts. You would not listen to the help given here but kept coming up with other stuff. That is why I said what I said. If you cannot follow directions NO site on the net can help you.

Glad you got it going. But next time listed you what you are told to do. It makes it easier on everyone here.

Aug 3, 2008, 06:47 PM
    Your cure was just what I said it would be in the beginning of this set of posts. You would not listen to the help given here but kept coming up with other stuff. That is why I said what I said. If you cannot follow directions NO site on the net can help you.

Glad you got it going. But next time listed you what you are told to do. It makes it easier on everyone here.

I was doing the best that I could. You were not the only expert trying to help. It is hard to know which one has the answer that will fix your problem. I was told by others that the motor was good. I was listening. Your answer was appreciated.

Aug 3, 2008, 08:30 PM
    Many times it is easier to stick to one site to get your information from. But I guess that is hard to do. There is much bad information out there. At least you got done and all is working.

Aug 4, 2008, 05:14 AM
    Many times it is easier to stick to one site to get your information from. But I guess that is hard to do. There is much bad information out there. At least you got done and all is working.

Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tractor quits [ 5 Answers ]

Craftsman 22Hp Rider model 917273111 Starts but when releasing clutch or engaging mower quits running.

Should I call it quits? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I been married for 3 months been together for a year. About 3 weeks ago he left about 5pm and came home about 6 am; he did that for about 16 days. He and I got in to a yelling match every time he left he would find something to yell at me for and try to get me mad. Yes it did work. Then he...

How do you know when to call it quits? [ 6 Answers ]

Me and my husband have been married for 5 years and over the past few years our communiction has become non existent. I have started going to therapy for it but if I suggest him going with me or reading a book that I am reading on how to fix a marriage, he just gets pissed off. He thinks he has no...

Hampton Bay Fan quits on us [ 4 Answers ]

We bought 4 identical fans almost 6 years and 3 are working just fine. The "problem" fan just started (about a week ago) turning itself OFF. Sometimes it runs for hours before doing this, but other times it goes off in just a few minutes. It usually goes back on again with the remote -- but...

View more questions Search