Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

Jun 15, 2006, 08:32 AM
    Pregnancy after a tubal ligation
    :( Does anyone know someone who got pregnant after having their tubes tied? What are the possibilities really? Bear in mind, no pregnancy is wanted, hence having a tubal ligation.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 15, 2006, 10:09 AM
    Aqua,

I have a little brother who was conceived after a tubal, he is now 31. The incidence of pregnancy is not very high but still exists.

Some incidents that occur usually happen if the tubes were tied immediately after delivery, hence the reason some docs now wait until 6 weeks after delivery to do tubals.

Also, you are not completely clear until about 8 weeks after the tubal has been completed, there maybe an egg in the lower portion of the tube during the surgery which still may be fertalized.
    educatedhorse_2005 Posts: 500, Reputation: 78

Jun 15, 2006, 06:42 PM
    You have a 6% chance of getting pregnant after a tubal
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 15, 2006, 07:37 PM
    Yes, 6% depending on when and how the tubal was done.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 17, 2006, 10:39 AM
    When I was in OB/GYN, (in the 1970's) the chance was higher than it should be now, with all the new technology.

But, let me ask you this... why do you have to have the procedure done, when it's easier for the man to get it done and it's less trouble?

When my husband was told that I should not have children, he had the procedure done a month after I had my daughter. This is also reversible in most cases, in case he changes his mind.

Good Luck, dear.

Jun 17, 2006, 12:28 PM
    Well Chery, I had it done because I have 5 children already. Two of my children were born with a genetic disorder which meant they had to stay in the NICU for a little bit when they were born. I could not go through that again, I won't go through that again. I hate being in the hospital, I hate leaving my kids, I just want to be home. If I had waited for my husband to do it I would have ended up with another baby. He wanted to be sedated, which I thought was perfectly acceptable for him because he has an intense fear of certain things. Anyway for him to do this, there is a two year waiting list. I got pregnant with the last two very easily, I had 3 babies in just under 4 years. So as you can see, with my issues with the genetic disorder, my being at home with the kids for two weeks at a time by myself and the obvious pressure having 5 children might bring I really couldn't wait. I found a very supportive doctor and psychologist (the 5th baby was very hard for me) and I came to the decision that this would be best.

Tubal ligations are not what they used to be. My water broke at 9pm Sunday, was at the hospital by 10pm, had the baby just after midnight, had my tubal ligation surgery at 11am and was home at 8pm Monday. The whole ordeal baby and all was less than 24 hours. I had zero complications. They just went in the belly button, my scar is about a centimeter long located inside my belly button. I don't think it's too much for women to do it. Sorry ladies.

I am scared that I will get pregnant even with a tubal and was just wondering what the chances were from people who know people. Doctors for the most part just know statistics. I am not a fan of statistics. Apparently the genetic problem NEVER occurs twice in one family, and yet, it did.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 17, 2006, 12:39 PM
    Wow, you've really been through a lot.

Any surgical procedure is never a sure thing, but seeing as you went through it and recovered well, you should not worry too much. The techniques today are indeed better than what they were, even ten years ago, so the only thing you can do is place confidence in your clinician and what he/she did.

If there is any doubt at all, contact other patients in your area who have had this done, and also have an ultrasound done to check if the tubes are still separated.

I'm sure you will be fine.

Keep us posted, and good luck.

Jun 17, 2006, 12:49 PM
    Thank you so much! I will get it looked at. I am going back to the GYN hopefully soon but the family doctor said there was nothing they could do to check the tubes to make sure they were still done. I thought there must be. Thanks for your advice. I am just going to go through my GYN. Take care.

**Just a note about Demonspeeding's comment: That is a great idea, however I am allergic to latex and the other alternatives are a little expensive. No more expensive than the effect and cost to my family if we had another baby. However, this is what I was hoping to avoid by having the tubal. Thanks for your comment
    Jnet29 Posts: 88, Reputation: 13

Jun 18, 2006, 12:22 PM
    Hi chery, It's jnet29 I was thinking about get my tubes tied after I have my baby this will be my 5th one, my husband and I are going through a lot right now I thought we both planned this one but he had the nerve to say I planned this by myself. I was so hurt when he said this. He also said a lot of other things to me that made me want to rethink my marriage to him I don't feel the same about him anymore, I'm thinking of getting a separation from him after the baby is born : ( I'm sorry to be laying all this bad news on you when you have help me through so much.
    Myth Posts: 897, Reputation: 147

Jun 18, 2006, 12:41 PM
    I have read somewhere that women can even grow a new fallopian tube after so long. I think that it's 14 women out of 100 can, but I'm not sure how long that actually takes. I think I read it in a dr office quite a few years ago, so this information might be outdated.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 20, 2006, 04:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jnet29
    hi chery, It's jnet29 I was thinking about get my tubes tied after I have my baby this will be my 5th one, my husband and I are going through alot right now I thought we both planned this one but he had the nerve to say I planned this by myself. I was so hurt when he said this. He also said alot of other things to me that made me want to rethink my marriage to him I don't feel the same about him anymore, I'm thinking of getting a seperation from him after the baby is born : ( I'm sorry to be laying all this bad news on you when you have help me through so much.
    Let it all out, and share it with us. We are good listeners and don't judge. There are some things we cannot make go away, but I hope we can help make the transitions easier.

Chin up, dear, and 'talk' to us.

"C" "U" again soon on this forum.

alyssacardz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2012, 08:33 AM
    I had a tubal ligation just 4 years ago. My tubes were cut and cauterized. The doctor has pictures to prove it.. Now here I am 5 weeks pregnant!! Obviously a HUGE surprise. I'm still in shock. The nurse said after 21 years I was the first she had seen this happen to. My OB said It's a 1 in 2500 chance that I got pregnant. All of which does not make me feel any better!! I am almost 40 and have 3 children and am in no position to have another child. I'm considering a medical abortion. I can't believe that this has happened so I will be asking the doc after all this is over to remove my tubes,ovaries whatever! I will have a hysterectomy I don't care.. I don't want to have to go through this again.
    beautifuljoys Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2012, 08:19 PM
    I had my tubes tied in 2000, and every year after I got pregnant up to 2008. I wasn't able to carry them all, but in August of 2008 I found out I was pregnant again and as usual I thought I wouldn't be able to carry it, but this one some how got in the right place and I had a beautiful baby boy in May. Now it 's 4 years later and guess what I'm pegnant again, I don't look as these pregnancies as being mistakes but more of a Blessing, even though I had my tubes tied God Blessed me twice to bring another miracle into this world. It's even more amazing because I just got married a month ago to the man of my dreams & I thank God I am able to share this joy with him. I am truly BLESSED & I THANK GOD FOR ALL HE HAS DONE, IS DOING, & CONTINUE TO DO FOR ME & MY FAMILY!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Could I be pregnant after a tubal? [ 1 Answers ]

Hey everyone. I've been having symptoms of pregnancy but had my tubes tied almost 4 years ago. I'm 29 years old and would love to have another child. I'm 2 days late on my period and I was just wondering what are my chances of being pregnant. I hope someone can help me!

Tubal question [ 1 Answers ]

I just want to know that after I had my tubes tied three months later I stop having a period. Is this normal :-/

View more questions Search