Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snoopy1964 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2008, 10:55 AM
    Living in separate states
    My problem. My husband is being sued for bills that he and ex-wife incurred while they were married. She agreed to pay said debts when the 401k was distrubeted. She moved to Florida and has remarried. The debts are still not paid all of a sudden we are being told that Florida has no garnisment laws. Excuse me, but is it right that since she skipped the state she should not have to follow another courts rulings. Yes, everything went through the courts and everything is signed by a judge. As well as her agreeing to everything, she also signed documents. We are in Indiana, and have custody of their children we also have my son from a previous marriage as well as a child together. There has got to be a leagal recourse for us. IF they garnish my husbands check I do not know how we will be able to afford to live.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2008, 12:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy1964
    My problem. My husband is being sued for bills that he and ex-wife incurred while they were married. She agreed to pay said debts when the 401k was distrubeted. She moved to Florida and has remarried. The debts are still not paid all of a sudden we are being told that Florida has no garnisment laws. Excuse me, but is it right that since she skipped the state she should not have to follow another courts rulings. Yes, everything went through the courts and everything is signed by a judge. As well as her agreeing to everything, she also signed documents. We are in Indiana, and have custody of their children we also have my son from a previous marriage as well as a child together. There has got to be a leagal recourse for us. IF they garnish my husbands check I do not know how we will be able to afford to live.

Take her back into Court for violation of a direct Court Order.

She was ordered to pay. She has not and so she's in violated. Her tail will get hauled back to Indiana for a hearing. It will also give you some leverage to have the debts transferred solely into her name - if that is humanly possible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Living in different states [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I live last year in different states but we want to file our taxes together.. /California and Florida/... how do we do that? I appreciate any help THANK YOU:eek:

Married, but living in two states [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am married and as of last year both myself and my husband are residents in KY (we both had lived in WV for the past 27 years). I am applying to school in West Virginia and would like to avoid paying out of state tuition. Can I become a West Virginia resident (rent an apartment,...

Just married living in 2 states. [ 3 Answers ]

My wife and I were married in 2006. In 2006 she worked and lived in NJ and I worked and lived in NY. I am very confused about filing our taxes jointly... Are we supposed to say that we were resident of NY and NJ, and how do we avoid getting taxed twice by both states... If anyone has any...

View more questions Search