Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mommy2juliana Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2006, 12:40 AM
    Relinquishing of Father's Parental Rights
    Hello Everyone.
    My name is Catherine. I live in Chesapeake, Virginia.

I need to know what I need to do do get my daughter's father's rights terminated. He's already signed a paper stating he is willingly terminating his rights and got it notarized. I know I went to some site and it said if the parents were not married at the time of the child's birth he can just write up a note have it notarized and give it to the mother and she can then go file it at the court house. I have been searching for that site but I can't seem to find it and I am HOPING that that's all that needs to be done. He hasn't helped me in any way shape or form since her birth. I did it all. Even when we were together.

So please someone that REALLY knows about legal stuff in Virginia, I NEED help. :confused:
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 24, 2006, 07:21 AM
    Is his name on the birth certificate? Very important question here whether you were married or not.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2006, 08:31 AM
    Hello Catherine:

I think it is just fine if this deadbeat wants to give up his parental RIGHTS. But, you should absolutely NOT let him out of his parental RESPONSIBILITIES. He is responsible for supporting Juliana until Juliana is 18. Period. You don't even have a choice in the matter. It's her money, not yours. You don't have the right to cut off her money. Hire an attorney. Isn't Juliana worth it? When you win, HE will have to pay your attorney. Go after it.

excon
    Mommy2juliana Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2006, 12:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Is his name on the birth certificate? Very important question here whether you were married or not.

His name is on the birth certificate. And we were NOT married (thank God).
    vaderladyl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2007, 09:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mommy2juliana
    His name is on the birth certificate. And we were NOT married (thank God).
    What difference does it makes?
    jharleyridersc Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2007, 06:27 AM
    I am going through a similar situation I had to go to court and the judge appointed a guardian ad litem to see what was in the best interest of my children try that and good luck
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Aug 23, 2007, 07:50 AM
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/family...st-116098.html
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Aug 23, 2007, 07:53 AM
    I am interested why you like to have his rights terminated... TPR does not solve the problems if there is no an other alternative.Ask him to pay child support and it is better than to terminate his rights.jharleyridersc is right-the court has to appoint GAL.
    jharleyridersc Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2007, 08:06 AM
    The gal is working in my case I am waiting on a court date to finalize everting to terminate his rights I hope everything works out for you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parental rights [ 11 Answers ]

I am divorced. My ex-wife has a boy friend who wants to adopt my children. They are not married. Does he have to marry her before he can adopt? Do I have any rights to visit or communicate with my children if I give permission to adopt?

Parental Rights [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Richmond Va and have a 12 year old daughter. At this time my ex-husband has full custody of her . He called and informed me that she wanted to live with me full time which I already knew but he said the only way he would allow that to happen is if I got the paperwork drawn up for him to...

Relinquishing all rights ? [ 2 Answers ]

Ok the legal guardian of the baby Ive been caring for over the past 7 months signed the baby over to me by relinquishing all rights through a public notary .Ok now the original mother got out of jail Monday and brought me the court order which was for the girl that signed him over to me ordering...

Father's rights [ 8 Answers ]

I have a five year old daughter. Her father was a registered sex offender (I did not know)and left for AK when she was born. I made it clear I wanted nothing to do with him. I have not seen or heard from him in over four years. He knew about his daughter but to my knolwledge has never tried to find...

Natural Father's Rights [ 4 Answers ]

Long story short. Dated a women I'll name "Jane" several times. On the last date, she said she had a husband who was in jail. The fact that she was married was enough to end the relationship. Since then I have married a longtime sweetheart. A month and a half after we split up, "Jane" told...

View more questions Search