Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NorPlan Posts: 425, Reputation: 3

Mar 6, 2017, 10:19 AM
    Main Front Door / Deadbolt Lock / Freezes Up
    Have gone through 2 Different Deadbolt Locks , To No Avail have been unable to avoid having Tumbler Freeze Up.. Have taken issue up with local Window & Door Mfg. They say Not to Install a Storm Door for fear of Whorping the main door as it would Void the Warranty.. We are in a Direct Southerly Exposure , whenever the Temps dip below (-15'C) lock will Freeze Up.. Out comes the Bic Lighter to give a Quick Thaw to Incert Key.. lol.. WD 40 is messy, tried Graphite too.. Any Tips or Tricks Appreciated, Cheers Thanks..
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 6, 2017, 10:34 AM
    I have NEVER heard of a storm door that would warp the main door. Exposure to the elements hot or cold without a storm door would do that easier than with one. Is your main door THAT thin, or cheap?

Mar 6, 2017, 10:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    I have NEVER heard of a storm door that would warp the main door. Exposure to the elements hot or cold without a storm door would do that easier than with one. Is your main door THAT thin, or cheap?
    Main Door was Mfg. by a Well Known Local Window & Door Mfg.. The Door was complete with Side Window.. Have already had the Window Incert replaced Under Warranty... Door was Not Cheap.. Curious for any possible inexpensive Remidy to keep Condinsation from forming is all... The Skuddle Butt is any possibly trapped heat build up created from the direct Sun rays..?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 6, 2017, 12:46 PM
    Wow that's a lot of heat build up, especially in winter, however this may offer some helpful suggestions to try,

home - How can I keep my door locks from freezing during a winter storm? - Lifehacks Stack Exchange

Mar 6, 2017, 01:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Wow that's a lot of heat build up, especially in winter, however this may offer some helpful suggestions to try,

home - How can I keep my door locks from freezing during a winter storm? - Lifehacks Stack Exchange

Our 1st Deadbolt Lock was a Keyless (4 AA Batteries) Two Months Battery Life Tops in the High Point of the Winter Months.. In my opinion the Design of the Deabolt Lock has too much exposed to the Outside of the Door with the cast aluminum moulded cover... Some of those ideas for protecting the lock from the elements would be ideal for the backyard shed... lol... I guess we'll just have to resort to a goodly supply of Throw Away Bic Lighters kept in the Glove Box.. lol... Cheers Thanks
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 6, 2017, 04:02 PM
    For what it's worth, I once got a friend's car out of the police tow lot for free by showing the tow truck guy how to thaw the big huge padlock with the dipstick from his truck.
    But that's just a chance to brag. No different from your lighter.
    Could all this condensation be coming from inside? I thought I remember you talking about having a lot to deal with.

Mar 6, 2017, 04:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    For what it's worth, I once got a friend's car out of the police tow lot for free by showing the tow truck guy how to thaw the big huge padlock with the dipstick from his truck.
    But that's just a chance to brag. No different from your lighter.Could all this condensation be coming from inside? I thought I remember you talking about having a lot to deal with.
    Unfortunately this Deadbolt Lock problem doesn't seem to want to go away without Kicking & Screaming.. No matter which way you cut it any Deadbolt Design available on the Market all come out the same.. The Keyless (4 AA Batteries) Cold Temps zapped the Battery Life.. Along with the Lock Freezing Up, Even the Door Mfg. is no help? There is a Cast Aluminum cover on the Outside that sticks out an Inch over the Tumbler Mechanizium.. Leaving the House for a few hours is pointless to Lock the Door when the Temps dip below (-15'C) No Fun fumbling with a Bic Lighter in the Dark.. Just Saying..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Storm Door / Deadbolt Lock Freezes Up... [ 3 Answers ]

Looking for an Inexpensive Solution to keep Deadbolt Lock thawed out... This has been an on going problem come Wintertime when the Temps dip below minus 15C'... I've been in contact with both the Door & Lock Manufacturers... The Door People suggest I add another Door to act as a Wind Break.. The...

My house has settled slightly, and my back door (deadbolt) will not lock. How to fix [ 3 Answers ]

We've had our house's foundation leveled, but our back door's deadbolt will not lock. How would I go about fixing this?

2003 Honda Odyssey Front door lock problem [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a very specific problem with my 2003 Honda Odyssey. My driver side door lock no longer works with the remote, however the other doors do. It still manually locks and unlocks (depressing the tab). When you manually lock the door, the other doors lock as well (using the up/down tab). ...

Double cylinder deadbolt lock drips a watery oil-like substance down the door. [ 3 Answers ]

I removed a 17-year-old double cylinder Weiser lock that had dripped for a couple of years, and cleaned it up, but it didn't help. I replaced it with a brand new Kwikset a few weeks ago, and now it's doing the same thing. Any suggestions on how to stop this?

View more questions Search