Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ctr1983 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2008, 07:01 PM
    california: 30 day notice: constructive eviction
    I'm moving out of my apartment because I came home from work one day to find a 4 foot x 2 foot hole in the ceiling and my furniture moved around.

This hole was only covered in paper and now it leaks regularly.

My landlord didn't tell me that he was going into my unit, and I know that he has entered my unit on at least one other occasion without telling me about it and let others into my unit.

He is planning to keep my security deposit because I didn't give 30 days notice.

I've read that this could be viewed as constructive eviction because he did several things that prompted me to move out of my space (unlawful entrance, uninhabitable conditions, and also irregular supply of clean water, which has been going on since I moved into the building 3 months ago)

Any ideas for me?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 24, 2008, 07:30 PM
    Sue him for not only your depoisit but also for your moving expeneses.

I will assume you got photos of the 4X2 hole ( that should be enough evidence there) The entering the apartment will depend on why,
    ctr1983 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2008, 01:50 PM
    Thanks! I definitely have taken pictures, and will continue to document as they tear out MORE of my ceiling today. I think my landlord enjoys it.

Anybody know anything else about constructive eviction, or know anyone that has used that legal argument?

-Ray

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

30 day notice - California [ 5 Answers ]

On Sept 20 I gave my written 30 day notice. I subsequently moved out around October 3. My lease had expired in July. My problem is that the rental co is charging me rent till the last day of the month instead of 30 days after I gave notice, which should have been Oct 20. My question is can they...

California 60 Day Notice to Vacate [ 1 Answers ]

I am on disability and have lived in the mobile home park for nearly nine years. I ALWAYS paid my rent on time, up until the delivery of my checks was changed (3 yrs ago), from the 1st to the 14th. Since that time, I have paid my rent in the middle of the month, ALWAYS including all late charges,...

Eviction notice or quit notice [ 1 Answers ]

I've been living in this house for 46 years with my mother, sister and brother. My beloved uncle decided to take over the house because the house needed repairs. He was approved for a second mortgage. Unforunatelly he passed away. My aunt became exceutive of his estate or so she claimed, Any...

California 30 day notice requirements [ 5 Answers ]

I just moved out of a home and had a disagreement with the landlord. I gave a 30 notice on the 17th or last month. Since the month had 31 days, I took that to mean that my tenancy was over on the 17th of the next month. When I moved in, I was required to pay first month (prorated since he wanted...

View more questions Search